Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM

77 posts, read 44,413 times

Advertisements

I have my master degree and my bf is only "associate" degree. I think he is the best one who I have ever meet. He is hilarious, make me laugh, considerate and generous. Although he made less money than me, I don't see it's a problem.

However, my Mom thought he is not "well educated" because he doesn't have high education degree.

I just want to ask you, my friends, based on your experience, DOES THE education/degree matter in marriage/relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:33 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
I'd rather have someone intelligent with only a HS education than someone who is a dullard with a degree.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM

122 posts, read 123,038 times
It is a point among all other points. It plays a part but you have to look at the person as a whole.

Higher education obviously is better, but to what degree

Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
A degree is not a guarantee ... of anything.

There are lots of ways to be educated, and you don't have to have matching educations to be compatible. Tell Mama that next time she gets married, she can have a say.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:39 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,353,495 times
I've worked in my job nearly 25 years and trust me when I tell you: I've known (and still know) people with 3, 4, even 5 college degrees who are as stupid as you can imagine!
Book smarts without common sense is a dangerous combination.

Does that answer your question, OP?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,158,409 times
No, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. It's fine for your mom to express her opinion but whose life is it? You could be passing over a good man.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:50 PM

737 posts, read 454,815 times
I'm attracted to intelligent men. Men with good common senses and know how to navigate most life situations. Higher degree can show that a man is persistent and goal-oriented which is a positive thing, but if he lacks common senses or can't deal with the curve balls that life throws at him, then he's not for me. I've been in better relationship with a man with lower degree than the rest of the men I met.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:50 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,661,799 times
Why would someone with a master's degree listen to mom's ridiculous ranting? If you let her biases color your feelings for your boyfriend then that fancy degree you have didn't teach you anything.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
It depends. Is one of you more intellectual then the other, meaning--having and pursuing intellectual interests? For example, if you both go to a museum (are you into museums?), does one of you immerse him/herself more deeply in the displays and background info, while the other just skims through? Or do you both delight in at least some of the same types of pastimes? What interests do you share? How are his problem-solving skills compared to yours? (This comes up a lot in day-to-day life.) How similar you are with things like this can be an indication of longer-term compatibility.

For example, does one of you like to discuss the news, current events and politics, while the other finds that to be dry and dull? Being with someone who's caring and funny is great, but over years, it might not be enough. Though it sounds like you're off to a good start. I wouldn't write him off just because he only has a 2-yr. degree.

Someone posted recently that her bf/fiancé loved to play video games, while she preferred to go to museums, read and discuss literature, and engage in other high-brow-ish pursuits. There didn't seem to be any room for compromise on either person's part--they were simply very different people in that regard. She wanted to save the relationship, but she also wanted him to be someone he wasn't--a guy who enjoys museums, literature and the arts. She said other than that, he was wonderful. They both had the same education level.

How confident would you be that a paring like that would make a successful marriage?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
I'm attracted to intelligent men. Men with good common senses and know how to navigate most life situations. Higher degree can show that a man is persistent and goal-oriented which is a positive thing, but if he lacks common senses or can't deal with the curve balls that life throws at him, then he's not for me. I've been in better relationship with a man with lower degree than the rest of the men I met.
Perfect! Well said! Some people have a gift for academic work, but outside of that environment, they appear to be a completely different person: not too bright, however engaging the personality. There's so much to consider when trying to find a good match!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships