Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Actually, in light of recent posts, I'd find it really offputting if I were on a date and my date "started probing into why I wasn't eating my food," or appeared to be monitoring "what progress I'd made" on my food.
lol! It sounds funny when it gets over-analyzed on a forum, but it could just be a considerate gesture, like: "Everything ok?" without making a big deal of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,732,963 times
I would agree, if the overall tone were that there were some type of concern for the date.

However, it reads mainly as irritation that somebody was expected to pay for a meal that went uneaten (along with some implied concern that he thought he could have potentially been double charged if he'd pursued getting a replacement entree).

I guess someone reading it could read "genuine concern" for one's date into what was written; I didn't personally see it.

Also, directly quoting what somebody posts isn't necessarily "overanalysis." It's really just noting what was said.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 AM

48,589 posts, read 35,062,280 times
I think both parties on the date were lacking manners. He didn't show concern, and she made awkward just sitting there and not eating. If I were her, I wouldn't go on a 2nd date, and if I was him I wouldn't go on a 2nd date.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I think you did not read my post, I definitely can deal with these situation, thank you for your insults I chose not to because I think it was ridiculous to not pay attention to what you are ordering and then waste your food. That is extremely bad form. That food is going in the dumpster and could've been utilized in a better way. Of course you consider yourself such a hot shot so you probably don't care about these things
OP, you're getting hung up on the wastage. The best thing to do in a social situation like that is to overlook things like that, and make sure your guest is comfortable. So even though one may object to food being wasted, the bigger picture is that you're on a date, you've invited someone to share a meal with you, so you focus on that. You do the gentlemanly thing, and do your best to see that your guest doesn't starve; you politely insist that it's ok, you'll get the server back to get another meal for your guest. (Even if you're not ok with it. That's what being a good host is about.)

I do agree with you, though, that your date was remiss, because she read all the ingredients of all the burger offerings on the menu, ruled ALL of them out except the one she ordered, and even that one wasn't acceptable? Maybe the poor girl isn't into burgers?? But even though she screwed up, you're supposed to do what you can to see that your date has a good time. You don't let on that you're ticked, you just do whatever it takes to get through the date, lol. Then you can dump her afterwards, for being picky and flakey, if you want.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM

She has the same obligation. ^^^^^^

She could have done a bunch of stuff to fix the situation.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,471,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
went on a date recently where my date ordered something, she did not like one of the ingredients (sundried tomato paste on a gourmet burger) in the dish so she did not eat it.
Personally I felt she was just too picky
I would never ask her out again.

I had a date at a very expensive restaurant and I ordered foie gras because I'd only ever heard of it. It was disgusting. But I ate the whole thing because, well, I ordered it.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
She has the same obligation. ^^^^^^

She could have done a bunch of stuff to fix the situation.
Yes. I was going to add that, but decided not to. She could have said she wanted to order a different meal and that she'd pay for it. The OP then could have gone with that, or he could have said he'd cover it. But the root of the problem seemed to be that she found herself in a restaurant where she didn't like anything on the menu.

OP, did you discuss the dinner venue with her in advance? I'm wondering if she has a problem with asserting herself in general, like saying, "I'm not really that into burgers, could we try something else? Do you like Thai?" before you even arrived at the dinner place.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM

12,992 posts, read 9,712,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would never ask her out again.

I had a date at a very expensive restaurant and I ordered foie gras because I'd only ever heard of it. It was disgusting. But I ate the whole thing because, well, I ordered it.
I'm sorry, I could never eat something disgusting that I hate. That is just torture to me, and I would not be able to swallow down a whole serving of it. I would have to order something else, waste or no waste wouldn't even be an issue. The last person I would want to torture is myself, no way.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:03 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,400,400 times
A Jumbo Jack isn't going to send you to poor house, guy. Take the burger she didn't want home to eat later and order her another one. No food is wasted

Dinner dates isn't that difficult, but you sure make it out to be, Lol

Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. I was going to add that, but decided not to. She could have said she wanted to order a different meal and that she'd pay for it. The OP then could have gone with that, or he could have said he'd cover it. But the root of the problem seemed to be that she found herself in a restaurant where she didn't like anything on the menu.

OP, did you discuss the dinner venue with her in advance? I'm wondering if she has a problem with asserting herself in general, like saying, "I'm not really that into burgers, could we try something else? Do you like Thai?" before you even arrived at the dinner place.

I missed the part where she disliked everything.

Still, you can order fries - who doesn't like fries?

If she knew in advance she should have offered an alternative.

I'm not sure why the communication is so non-existent here. For the most part, I feel it falls on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships