Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times

Advertisements

My ex was exactly this way. He would take the last dollar from our account to give to his parents. We fought constantly about it. They thought I was a super "B" because I thought they should both work and actually pay for their own expenses. They got money from us, then would give anything extra to their other son. Like we would buy them a car because they were desperate and the son would post on Facebook that the car we just bought was his new ride.

I was glad to get rid of them and their son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,477,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyosa View Post
I clearly see a cultural difference here. I am Asian so I kind of understand OP's husband. It's not like his parents are totally dependent on him though, they are land lords people! So they do have monthly income!
They are landlords because the son/husband allows them to live rent free in HIS spare apartment rather than renting it out himself. They are only able to be landlords because they have somewhere else to stay.

OP - this is something I'm considering with my own partner. I have never met anyone more compatible with similar life goals, approaches to finances, and all the practical stuff except for one thing: his parents. He's an only child, his parents don't really have any family of their own, and after a failed business in a rural area they are in their early 60s with health issues and no retirement savings. All they have in a bare-bones house his dad built himself (wood burning stove in upstate NY!) and the land the house is on. My boyfriend started his own business while in law school that grew, and now he runs the physical operations out of the barn on his parents' property. His mom is co-owner of the business, though she did not put up any money to begin it and does significantly less work. He refuses to take a larger salary than his mom, despite having law school loans, an apartment in a larger city to grow the business, and of course the lion's share of the work and intellectual capital. His dad is paid on a per-unit basis for production, but is also lazy and often the bottleneck in getting orders out as quickly as they could receive them. Both could have done more with themselves, but were too proud to move somewhere with economic prospects when the business began to fail. They also chose to put money into cars, tools, farm equipment, etc. for hairbrained ideas that his dad had that never panned out, rather than save for retirement.

We want a house and kids, not to mention the "extras" live traveling, but I don't see how we can do that while supporting his parents. They already have health issues in their early 60s, so there could be 20 years of taking care of them above and beyond social security. I got a late start saving because of facing cancer in my early 20s (though we are off the hook with my unemployed parents because they treated me like absolute crap when I was sick and long after, so we no longer have a relationship) and he got an even later start because of law school and then starting his own business. It's very sad to me that I may have to end a relationship with someone I love because he puts his grown parents above our future, but there it is.

But the thing is, we're talking about it NOW, before we're even married. A year into a marriage isn't the best time to start this conversation, but you need to have it.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
I am in the camp that says this situation existed BEFORE you were married and before you met him. The best time to discuss this was prior to marrying him.

It's late for the conversation to begin, but it needs to happen or your resentment of the situation will grow. Time to sit down and discuss "life plans." Do the 2 of you plan to have children? Kids are expensive on a daily basis plus saving for college. Are the 2 of you saving for you own retirement? Those are the kinds of things you need to discuss. Ask him what his plan is for the future regarding his parents. Approach it gently. There won't be an immediate answer. It will take time to reach a place of compromise. (Notice I said compromise--not he totally gets what he wants or you totally get what you want.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships