Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Had to do some googling on this here post. Seems like if I recall your past correctly, you were raised up on the conservative side and had the propaganda of one of the big 3 organized religions crammed down your throat. It would appear that you somewhat pushed the needle of the meter a good chunk back the other direction. LOL
This is often assumed to the case, but not quite. That it's merely an act of rebellion. It wasn't. I was brought up around a super fundie religious sect that my father is part of, but was raised by my very liberal heathen mother. The religious indoctrination was sprinkled about over the course of my childhood and adolescence, but wasn't a huge part of my formative years.

I became super fundie after I already had several tattoos and piercings, and just continued getting them when I became less fundie, after I spent some time researching and studying the doctrine used admonish body modification. I don't make decisions based on some need to rebel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 04:43 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
This is often assumed to the case, but not quite. That it's merely an act of rebellion. It wasn't. I was brought up around a super fundie religious sect that my father is part of, but was raised by my very liberal heathen mother. The religious indoctrination was sprinkled about over the course of my childhood and adolescence, but wasn't a huge part of my formative years.

I became super fundie after I already had several tattoos and piercings, and just continued getting them when I became less fundie, after I spent some time researching and studying the doctrine used admonish body modification. I don't make decisions based on some need to rebel.
I wasn't trying to offend, was actually just sorta crackin a joke is all.

I thought you were a full on atheist?? I must have that part jumbled up in my head. It's hard to keep people's stuff together. I've been here so long and some people's life situations sometimes blend in my head.

I'm a we don't know either way type of guy when it comes to god. I find myself a tad envious of the true believers at times though I gotta say.....

Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM

926 posts, read 673,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've had multiple piercings. I removed my tongue ring a couple years ago. I liked it. Right now, I only have the industrial, tragus and nose ring. I had a Monroe piercing many years ago.

Are there men who don't care for body modification? Sure. Did I care? Not a bit. 'Cause there were that tons of others who didn't mind at all, or really liked it. The kind who didn't care for it weren't a match anyway, so the lack of interest was mutual. Most of those types were conservative, puritanical, religious, etc., etc., which weren't anywhere on my radar.

Interestingly, I received a lot of interest from men with straight-laced and business-like appearances with no or very few tattoos. (for some, it was a fetish, or just something different/new)
It's so good to read that there are others like me out there! Yeah, if a guy is going to pass me over because of my tongue piercing and nose piercing, then I know that we wouldn't have been a good match anyways!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
It's so good to read that there are others like me out there! Yeah, if a guy is going to pass me over because of my tongue piercing and nose piercing, then I know that we wouldn't have been a good match anyways!
That's a good way to look at it. No need to take it personal. Plenty of people don't line up and for some that is just one facet of not lining up with them.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
That's a good way to look at it. No need to take it personal. Plenty of people don't line up and for some that is just one facet of not lining up with them.
Very good way of looking at it most certainly

Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to offend, was actually just sorta crackin a joke is all.

I thought you were a full on atheist?? I must have that part jumbled up in my head. It's hard to keep people's stuff together. I've been here so long and some people's life situations sometimes blend in my head.

I'm a we don't know either way type of guy when it comes to god. I find myself a tad envious of the true believers at times though I gotta say.....
Oh, I am an atheist. I was just explaining that I was still religious when I started getting tattoos again, just not the super fundie religious that I was before. I only stopped getting them, believing they're sinful and worldly behaviors, based on the doctrine espoused by the teachings of the church/denomination I aligned with. And just like many faithful/observant followers, I believed in biblical literalism and inerrancy... until I didn't, after much studying and so forth. When I discovered tattoos weren't unbiblical, I started getting them again, and continued to well after deconverting entirely.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
No, i would not

Old 05-01-2017, 04:58 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,717,577 times
Quote:
I guess I'm lucky because in my field of work - beauty/fashion/editing/marketing - my boss doesn't care about my two piercings and he could care less if I had more piercings than that. But, I can understand that not all careers would welcome any piercings because it is seen as very unprofessional.

But, just realize that you CAN *remove* your piercings before you report to work and then put them in *after* you get home. I used to have to do that *every day* when I was an administrative assistant for a construction company a few years ago. It was a PITA but I did it anyway. I'm grateful that I can now be myself in a career where individuality is embraced and encouraged. What career choice do you want to go into? I bet it's the medical field...
Maybe I'll get lucky lol

A lot of people think those piercings will look really good on me. I've caught myself transitioning to a more hipster like style as well, but my style is all over the place. lol.

But until I hear they use a mandatory numbing agent for piercings, heck no. My pain tolerance sucks. Until then, I'll be happy with my ear cuffs and fake nose rings. Hahaha!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM

926 posts, read 673,371 times
Quote:
One small tiny nose diamond stud is cool, I actually think those are very fem looking on a woman. The ears are fine. I just find the tongue thing distracting. I knew a dude that had one in and when he would talk about every fourth word it would clank against his teeth and it just sorta grossed me out. LOL.
This is very encouraging to read! I'm into older guys (don't ask me why, I don't even know lol...) so it's good to see that at least one of them wouldn't think twice of being into a woman who has a nose stud. If you don't mind my asking, why would you find a tongue ring 'distracting'? My tongue ring doesn't "clank" against my teeth lol...most people don't even know I have one until I make the facial expression of "OMG" with my mouth open and THEN they see that I have a tongue ring lol

Quote:
Please don't be offended. My view on it should have zero effect for you and your life choices and it's not personal. I mean no offense but a lot of people do get really judgy and nasty about those sort of not common things. I have a live and let live view on it myself, it's personally not for me is all.
Well, at least you're being honest, and that's a good thing. I'm not offended that you don't like women with tongue rings...it's okay...you're older, so I understand that you have a pre-defined preference of what you like. At least you have an open mind of letting people "live and let live" their lives... but, I will say this...I hope there are some older guys out there that are more open minded about women who have nose and tongue piercings and who wouldn't flinch at asking them out and actually wanting to hang out with them!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
This is very encouraging to read! I'm into older guys (don't ask me why, I don't even know lol...) so it's good to see that at least one of them wouldn't think twice of being into a woman who has a nose stud. If you don't mind my asking, why would you find a tongue ring 'distracting'? My tongue ring doesn't "clank" against my teeth lol...most people don't even know I have one until I make the facial expression of "OMG" with my mouth open and THEN they see that I have a tongue ring lol

Well, at least you're being honest, and that's a good thing. I'm not offended that you don't like women with tongue rings...it's okay...you're older, so I understand that you have a pre-defined preference of what you like. At least you have an open mind of letting people "live and let live" their lives... but, I will say this...I hope there are some older guys out there that are more open minded about women who have nose and tongue piercings and who wouldn't flinch at asking them out and actually wanting to hang out with them!
Well, I hate to break it to ya, but tongue rings aren't a "new" thing they started getting popular in the later 90's and I was in my later 20 back then. So no, it's not an age thing because I didn't care for them when I was 28 or 29 so me being the "ancient" old man of 47 I still feel the same way.

I'm sure that you can find older guys that either like or don't mind piercing, not sure what age range that means to you, but I'm sure they are out there. Good luck in your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships