Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,531 times

Advertisements

Someone please explain this, whats the pros and cons. I feel its not the degree but the determination that person posse that may make him successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,703 times
I will explain it real fast... College Degree normally equates to a white collar office job individuals that makes money.. versus a High School diploma equals a blue collar earning less money... makes sense?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
People with college degrees tend to make more money than those with only a high school diploma. Many major companies will not promote a worker to management unless they have a college degree. In addition, when one has a college degree, the work is more cerebral and at a clean desk, and not manual labor. I do respect those who work with their hands, but as the decades go by, as the body ages, there are more aches and pains in their backs and joints. In addition, those who go on to college tend to be more worldly and intellectual in their outlook on life.

For instance, I get along great with all of my mechanics. They are good guys and in their 40's and 50's. But they will always be mechanic techs that work for a dealership or garage. One guy has a bad back and looks tired all of the time because he puts in so much overtime.

Otherwise, it seems to me that in terms of compatibility, those with only a high school diploma or GED are happiest with someone of the same educational level. And likewise with those with a high level of education and there is nothing wrong or demeaning about that. It's not much different from being the most compatible with someone with the same religious upbringing. It's all a matter of having many things in common to make a strong long lasting relationship.

Also, I think that when many go on to college and put off entering the work force right after high school, these people put their energy into learning more both academically and about themselves. College educated people tend to marry later than those with only a high school degree and I think that is a smarter way to life ones life. I hate to see young people marry and have kids too early in their lives.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,602,381 times
Allied ~ seriously? Whoever you fall in love with is what really matters.

I happened to fall in love with a "Blue Collar" man. A man that only has a HS diploma. And thank god I did. He's a master mechanic, races/builds his owns cars, does all his own mechanical work. Haven't had any of my 2 cars in the shop for work or even oil changes in over 18 years. Never had to have a handyman out to my house to fix the dishwasher, dryer, electrical, garage door, the lawnmower, etc. The list goes on of all the stuff that breaks or needs replacing around the house that he can do - shall i go on?

Oh and by the way, my "blue collar" man makes a "white collar" salary too (even without the required degree that his job calls for)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Alliedrefuseworker - What do you do for work? Are you finding it difficult to get a girlfriend? What inspired this post?

I am very lucky to have a boyfriend that is college educated, knows about electrical engineering, all that electronics stuff and how to reprogram car computers... but he is also very good with his hands. He does work on cars, he solders computer boards, welds and knows carpentry. So I have the best of both worlds.

I have always liked working with my hands also, but my parents encouraged me to use my brain more. And they didn't want me to be doing physical work when I got older. It's one thing to work with your hands for a leisure activity but not as enjoyable when you have to do it for work, day in and out. My boyfriend enjoys working on our cars, but he admits that he wouldn't be happy having to do it 40 hours a week as a career. And I see that even when he is careful, he gets bruised and cut up when doing mechanical stuff. It's not that he is sloppy, but New England cars are full of rusty seized bolts. And I also notice that mechanics just smell like mechanics. Most of the time, there is a residue of grease and oil on their bodies and clothes. I don't mind, but it's better when they don't smell like a machine shop.

As a side note, I had a friend who managed an ice cream shop. All day long he had to smell the cream that went into making the ice cream... and as long as he worked there, he couldn't eat any foods heavy in dairy. Just a whiff of it would turn his stomach. I suppose that's the reason he never gained weight while at that job.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
I prefer a man that is kind, considerate, has an enquiring mind, a sense of humor, a backbone and treats me well.

Whether he has a college degree or a HS diploma is irrelevant to me.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
If you have a liberal arts degree and work at McDonald's chicks aren't gonna dig that. (But I can write well, and speak eloquently!)

If you started your own construction company and are successful, you can be a millionaire with little or no education.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Honestly, I won't date a guy without a college degree. Simple as that. Getting a bachelor's today is the equivalent of getting a high school diploma in my parent's day both in terms of expectancy and job prospects.

Beyond that, I'm getting at LEAST a master's right after undergrad and might go all the way to get a phD. I've found the few men who didn't go to college that I've dated in the past have no respect for that and just don't get it. Plus there's often a distinction between manual labor and intellectual "labor". I dated a mechanic who often would complain about how I could possibly be stressed since I was just a student and how manual labor is so much "harder". He just couldn't understand that I put just as much work, if not more, into my work at school as he did working on cars. I might not be working for an actual salary, but I worked for years to get my $35,000 a year scholarship and work every day of my life to keep it.

It has nothing to do with money- I fully plan to be the breadwinner. However, a guy with just a high school diploma does not generally have goals that jive with my own. I might be surprised one day, but until then I'll stick to dating grad students.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Honestly, I won't date a guy without a college degree. Simple as that. Getting a bachelor's today is the equivalent of getting a high school diploma in my parent's day both in terms of expectancy and job prospects.

Beyond that, I'm getting at LEAST a master's right after undergrad and might go all the way to get a phD. I've found the few men who didn't go to college that I've dated in the past have no respect for that and just don't get it. Plus there's often a distinction between manual labor and intellectual "labor". I dated a mechanic who often would complain about how I could possibly be stressed since I was just a student and how manual labor is so much "harder". He just couldn't understand that I put just as much work, if not more, into my work at school as he did working on cars. I might not be working for an actual salary, but I worked for years to get my $35,000 a year scholarship and work every day of my life to keep it.

It has nothing to do with money- I fully plan to be the breadwinner. However, a guy with just a high school diploma does not generally have goals that jive with my own. I might be surprised one day, but until then I'll stick to dating grad students.
I did the whole manual labor thing before I started college. 40 hours a week building houses is much easier than keeping up as a student.

Now, how do I find a woman who wants to win the bread for me?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times
Default How about no diploma

Nearly 38 years ago I married a wonderful man, with a 9th grade education, he was a "blue collar" worker, at a major car company, later became a supervisor, built us a beautiful home, raised 5 children and we never wanted for nothing, we had vacations, clothes, new cars, what got him ahead in life wasn't a diploma but common sense, he could figure out things better than some engineers. Now 14 yrs later, me a widow I meet a man with 5 degrees
come from the same hometown, interesting to say the least, knows so much too much, almost pompous, can write beautifully, knows science, law, art, he was a federal employee with a larger salary than my "blue collar" husband, but can't fix a leak, cut a lawn, paint a wall, its beneath him to do "labor" he was put on this earth to be a "know it all". So would I go for a man with a college degree......give me a man who has a diploma and will get his hands dirty, they have more common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships