Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 6,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
$100.00 bet says that if check back on this forum in a week this new poster with "Junior Member" title will show "Not A Member" title. $300.00 bet says that its a former member (possibly banned) who returned with new user ID.

Second post and already using profanity and being combative with another user?

I've never used any online dating service, but I'd think that its just like what happens in real life. You have men constantly going after women (i.e., sending messages) and you have women constantly fending off those from unwanted/undesired men.

From what I have seen in real life from people I have known, Match seems to be the clear cut winner when it comes to successful relationships and marriages. I mean CLEAR cut winner.
What part of that was I being combative? Did you even read the whole post? I guess everything is up for interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post
What is your biggest complaint with dating sites?
I actually really liked OKC. A lot. I met and dated a number of really good men. Some even led to relationships and friendships. It yielded the best compatible matches, and I enjoyed its user interface, forum and features.

PoF is, well, PoF. It is what it is. I met some cool people (that were also on OKC as there's an overlap in users/members), but much, much preferred OKC to all other sites.

I went on a few dates from Match.

Quote:
Specific questions for woman

1. On average, how many messages do you get a day?
OKC: When I was new, or after returning from a hiatus, 30+, but it tapered off after a couple weeks. I'd say 10-15/day was about average once things settled a bit.

PoF: 25+, and like with OKC, I'd receive a lot more, 50+, after reinstating my profile following a hiatus. There were times I'd get 100 in a day's time.

Match: 5-10/day (I only used it briefly)

I lived in Atlanta, just outside of San Diego and the Bay Area when I used dating sites.

Quote:
2. How many of these messages are simple and no effort messages (ex. "hi how r u?")
OKC: No effort/okay effort, 60%; good-great effort/messages, 40%.

PoF: No effort/okay decent, 90%; good-ish effort, 10%. (I'd get some really great messages, but not frequently enough to quantify into a percentage. Over a 2.5 year period, I can count on two hands the number of interesting/intriguing messages. My first date was with a man I met through PoF, and we went on several dates and kept in touch over the years. There were others, but not many.

Quote:
3. How many messages are repeats of guys who have contacted you before?
Hard to say. I interacted with several men here and there. They were typically at a distance and just enjoyed honest conversation and interaction. There were several that would chat and keep in touch via the site, or through e-mail. A few become penpals and friends.

Quote:
4. How often do you get jerks or creeps?
Over a 2.5 year period, enough. Lol. There were the usual bitter types that got salty when I didn't respond to their messages, and some were rather suggestive and forward. Here and there.

Quote:
5. Do guys seriously send you d*** pics? If so, does it usually just happen at random? Do these guys have a normal conversation and then bam they send you a pic without warning?
I never received peen pictures via the dating site. Unsolicited pictures through texts? I lost track. Lol.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Is it just me or did this post actually brought absolutely no value to this thread?
It's just you. The o.p. (who I was writing to) seemed to get something out of it. Your post otoh... ...

Old 05-30-2017, 02:06 PM

163 posts, read 138,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am not criticizing either side.

Oh, I don't know... I think you are. Your bias is evident. If there were no bias, you would have posted identical questions to men and women... no? There are women that contact men you know. Or maybe you don't. Some write real messages, and some do the 'cut and paste' thing'. Just like men do. Men get p**** pics from women you know. Did you know that? Of course, if a guy gets one of those it is quite likely to be a bot from a spam site. But some guys don't know that...

I think dating sites have their issues

And? Of course dating sites have their issues. Because people have their issues. The issue is people. Period. If you eliminate people from the equation, neither dating sites or IRL will have any issues. Or action.
His questions seem pretty balanced to me. Maybe that's just me?

Men and women face different challenges using online dating sites, so I see nothing wrong in tailoring questions to different audiences.

I've never received a dirty picture from a woman on a dating site. However, I think I'm pretty good at discerning who's a bot and who's not. I often hear women receive these types of pics from men....I'm also curious as to how many/how often.

I'm not sure what the problem is discussing these issues.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Is it just me or did this post actually brought absolutely no value to this thread?
Definitely not just you.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Question for guys
1. How many messages do you send daily and get no response?
2. Do you usually send short messages?
3. Do you copy/paste and send to as many as possible to see if any respond?
4. Do you read the profiles and try to include something you read about them in your message?

Do any of you notice a difference when using a free site compared to a membership site?

1. It vacillates, but average day is anywhere from 4-8. My response rate ranges from 15-30%, generally, averaging around 20-25%.

2. I used to send longer messages, but now generally keep it to 4-5 sentences or fewer. I don't want to waste my time on someone who may not respond. If she responds, we can take it from there.

3. I rarely use the copy/paste method.

4. I try to do this almost 100% of the time. However, some profiles leave you hardly anything to go on.

I'd say your chances of response is a little higher on the paid sites. People seem to be a little more serious about meeting up on those. I should add I'd get maybe 2-3 first messages from women per month.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I actually really liked OKC. A lot. I met and dated a number of really good men. Some even led to relationships and friendships. It yielded the best compatible matches, and I enjoyed its user interface, forum and features.

PoF is, well, PoF. It is what it is. I met some cool people (that were also on OKC as there's an overlap in users/members), but much, much preferred OKC to all other sites.

I went on a few dates from Match.

OKC: When I was new, or after returning from a hiatus, 30+, but it tapered off after a couple weeks. I'd say 10-15/day was about average once things settled a bit.

PoF: 25+, and like with OKC, I'd receive a lot more, 50+, after reinstating my profile following a hiatus. There were times I'd get 100 in a day's time.

Match: 5-10/day (I only used it briefly)

I lived in Atlanta, just outside of San Diego and the Bay Area when I used dating sites.

OKC: No effort/okay effort, 60%; good-great effort/messages, 40%.

PoF: No effort/okay decent, 90%; good-ish effort, 10%. (I'd get some really great messages, but not frequently enough to quantify into a percentage. Over a 2.5 year period, I can count on two hands the number of interesting/intriguing messages. My first date was with a man I met through PoF, and we went on several dates and kept in touch over the years. There were others, but not many.

Hard to say. I interacted with several men here and there. They were typically at a distance and just enjoyed honest conversation and interaction. There were several that would chat and keep in touch via the site, or through e-mail. A few become penpals and friends.

Over a 2.5 year period, enough. Lol. There were the usual bitter types that got salty when I didn't respond to their messages, and some were rather suggestive and forward. Here and there.

I never received peen pictures via the dating site. Unsolicited pictures through texts? I lost track. Lol.
I kind of forgot about the guys who got mad because I didn't answer fast enough, lol. I just blocked them because who has time for drama kings.

I also refused to go off the dating site with anyone until we met. Maybe that's why I didn't get unsolicited pictures of body parts. At best I used a burner cell number that I gave the day before the date so either of could text in case we were running late.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:23 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
[...]

So let me ask these questions for everyone and I added some new.

1. How many messages do you send daily and get no response?
I sent quite a few messages. Probably three to five a day? My response rate on OKC, for active profiles, I recall a few messages that did not receive a response, and I wasn't really expecting one. Excluding those few, all of the other messages I sent received a response.

Quote:
2. Do you usually send short messages?
They varied based on what I had to work with. Some were a sentence, others multiple paragraphs.

Quote:
3. Do you copy/paste and send to as many as possible to see if any respond?
Never.

Quote:
4. Do you read the profiles and try to include something you read about them in your message?
Yep. All of them.

Quote:
4. Do you get bad pics? If so, are they at random?
Not through the sites.

Quote:
5. Do you send bad pics? If so, why? (I don't expect anyone to honestly answer this one)
No.

Quote:
6. Do you feel the amount of messages you get daily makes it more overwhelming and frustrating?
In the beginning, on PoF and some other niche sites, there was a lot at first, and then it settled and was more manageable.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
His questions seem pretty balanced to me. Maybe that's just me?

Men and women face different challenges using online dating sites, so I see nothing wrong in tailoring questions to different audiences.

I've never received a dirty picture from a woman on a dating site. However, I think I'm pretty good at discerning who's a bot and who's not. I often hear women receive these types of pics from men....I'm also curious as to how many/how often.

I'm not sure what the problem is discussing these issues.
I only pointed out the o.p.'s obvious bias even though they (he?) claimed not to have one. I never said I didn't have any. I'm a guy. I KNOW men and women have different experiences online... but they also do in real life. There is NO difference between life online and life offline because the common denominator in both is life itself. How many different ways does this need to be said. There is nothing stopping you from pretending to be a woman on a dating site and see whether the things you've heard about how they experience OLD are true or not. As to bots. I know you think you can spot them, but I'm wondering how you would even know? And no, the bots on Craigslist don't count. The bots that run on upmarket sites like EHarmony and Ashley Madison are crafted by master programmers and approach AI in their sophistication and realism. Even the people that are paid to spot those can't spot them? If you are that good you should hire on at Ashley Madison. They would pay six figures for a guy with your talents.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:32 PM

11 posts, read 6,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I kind of forgot about the guys who got mad because I didn't answer fast enough, lol. I just blocked them because who has time for drama kings.

I also refused to go off the dating site with anyone until we met. Maybe that's why I didn't get unsolicited pictures of body parts. At best I used a burner cell number that I gave the day before the date so either of could text in case we were running late.
Yes, I had heard that too. So did this happen often? Someone would message you and message again because you had not replied?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships