Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:10 AM

48,709 posts, read 35,196,678 times

Advertisements

You hardly know each other. I wouldn't change any plans for someone who may be gone tomorrow.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,480,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix12 View Post
I have thought of moving down south long before I met her, as I hate the cold weather.
Is this something that you really want to do? Before meeting her, what kept you from moving?

Quote:
Initially, she seemed open to the idea of eventually moving, but now she seems more set on wanting to start a family here. I mentioned that I'd be willing to move somewhere halfway down the coast, but she seems to not want to move, period.
OP, she's set on staying put - so you have a decision to make. Give it a go with her and stay where you are, or break up before you get even more attached and move south. Only you can determine which one will make you the most happy - her or location.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 PM

5,463 posts, read 3,089,436 times
A man doesn't follow a woman.
If you don't believe in you, don't expect her to.

You made your decision to move, trust your instincts, this is what you intend to do so do it.
She can come or go, makes no difference if a guy senses his destiny is elsewhere.
Women are NOT looking for guys who follow them. Thats what boys do.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 AM

863 posts, read 988,606 times
It's only cold in the winter, unless you live in the artic, as only seeing each other for a few months it's a good sign she does not want to pick up and move to another state with you, if she did she would probably be too impulsive.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:08 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,104,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would be VERY WARY of your desire to move down south where you have never lived in your life. It's easy to think in the abstract that you might want to live somewhere else, but you might get there and want to flee. I wonder why - since you hate the cold weather you are now 33 years old and you haven't made the move, but are kind of pushing it now that you're in a semi-committed and promising relationship with a woman who doesn't want to leave.

I think that's worth exploring. If you really wanted to move south it seems you would have done it - why suddenly is it becoming a "thing"?

He said he's always wanted to move south, and that initially, she was open to the idea. I can think of plausible reasons he hasn't made the move yet. College and getting established in his career come first to mind, and saving up to actually make a drastic move like that. Just thoughts.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,460,967 times
Quote:
I know that this thread has probably been done before, but I could use some advice. My girlfriend and I have only been together for a matter of months. We have a great connection, and want a lot of the same things, including a family. She owns a townhouse in the northeast, where we both live, and has no desire to leave. I have thought of moving down south long before I met her, as I hate the cold weather. Initially, she seemed open to the idea of eventually moving, but now she seems more set on wanting to start a family here. She grew up now a warm climate and moved here 8 years ago, whereas I've been here my whole life. Also, she is 30 and I am 33. I mentioned that I'd be willing to move somewhere halfway down the coast, but she seems to not want to move, period. We both are flexible with out careers and other things, but this location thing is a point of contention. All advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Same situation with my fiancé and I. He wants to move back to CA and I don't b/c I have lived here all my life and my friends, family & work is here.

Ultimately we own a house here and we're not moving any time soon b/c we spent a ton of money and time on renovations and would like to get our money's worth when we sell.

I might be open to it after I retire in 30 years lol. There's no work for me there, as I work in a selective industry and possess a selective & unique skillset.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:44 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,643,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Girlfriends are like buses. There will be another one.
Women are like minivan drivers. They're all over the damn place.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,834,495 times
Don't stay for her. Your relationship (if it even survives) will be damaged because of the "what could have beens."

Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 AM

273 posts, read 505,340 times
Was in the same situation. I stayed the course with my move. A few arguments came up in between. As I got closer to the move date, my GF was on board. A few things changed her opinion. 1) staying the course 2) a visit to the new city 3) meeting her family.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM

102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
You've only been together a few months mate it's a bit strong to expect or want her to sell up and move.

Unfortunately if it becomes too much for you then that's a compatibility issue and move on sorry
lol True. Most people don't make a decision like that until they've been together for a year or two. You two haven't even really bonded, not enough to warrant her selling her place and moving into the unknown with a guy she's only known a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships