Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 AM

818 posts, read 456,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"low mileage" LOL

If only you could find a well-maintained, sought-after vehicle that has all up to date maintenance records but also is fun to talk to and doesn't make you roll your eyes every time she opens her mouth.

Seen plenty of women talk low mileage about men too, and a lot lot more.
But they never seem to get that it goes both ways.

Anyway yeah ,l get what OP's sayin and the older we get the older they get too and the more of a situation it all becomes, so if ya think you got problems now op , you can look forward to worse later haha.
And you got the jadedness and subconscious man hate and much more just growing and growing too, seems to be very common in older women, divorced and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post

I've mentioned it in another thread, but "career women" tend to be the worst.

As opposed to what, unemployed women?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post

Anyway yeah ,l get what OP's sayin and the older we get the older they get too and the more of a situation it all becomes, so if ya think you got problems now op , you can look forward to worse later haha.
And you got the jadedness and subconscious man hate and much more just growing and growing too, seems to be very common in older women, divorced and such.
I'm ok with it going both ways. I like virgin men. I don't care if a man likes virgin women. I would never, however, INSULT a man for not being a virgin. I dunno, there is joking and then there is seriously trying to shame people, which I just don't think is cool.

I find the term "mileage" as applied to human beings, to be overly negative and insulting. You can say the same thing and focus on something positive. Saying you like the fresh optimism of youth and someone who is inexperienced enough that you can enjoy their explorations and learning process with them, is different than painting more experienced women as a bunch of jaded old bags.

I like inexperienced men because I enjoy seeing sex vicariously through the eyes of a newcomer to it, and because they don't bring with them the techniques they've learned with other women...they learn what I like instead.

And by the by, as for things going both ways, my ex husband came to our relationship with tons of baggage from past failed relationships, and he heaped that on my head like it was my fault, the whole time we were together. I felt like I was suffering for the sins of his abandoning birth mother, and every woman who had ever cheated on him, for a long time. Don't see how that is any better than a woman being bitter from previous men treating her badly. Except that when a woman is bitter, it's her fault, and when a man is bitter, it's women's fault...at least according to some folks, I guess. ?

But age isn't all by itself an indicator of experience. I've met older virgins (up to a man in his 50s), and I've met people divorced in their 20's, and honestly one bad relationship can damage somebody more than 40 casual partners they played with and then went separate ways with no drama.

Practically anybody you meet is gonna have "stuff." Nobody is perfect. It's just a question of a.) How well do they handle their stuff? and b.) What kind of stuff are you willing to accept in a partner, and what kind are you not?

Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 PM

613 posts, read 360,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post

Appreciate the optimistic outlook But based on my experience thus far I think you're right..

Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM

613 posts, read 360,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think it's so highly dependent on the two individuals involved that it's impossible to make a generalization (but I'll try).

I'm 31 and my girlfriend is 24. So we fall within that that range (though not as extreme as others). We've connected better than I've connected with anyone I've dated (and I've never really dated more than +/- 2 years of my own age). Part of that is stages of life- we're both solidly in the young (ok, ok, youngISH in my case) professional world so we can relate about work. We have very similar senses of humor, lots of similar interests (travel, food, things to do for fun, etc.) and similar long-term goals. We have more in common than anyone I've ever dated and from day one, the conversation has flowed very well.

There are some moments- mostly talking about younger years when our 7 year gap was a much bigger deal -when the difference is apparent. College is fresher for her (dating apps were a thing when she was in school, not so much for me), and some pop culture stuff is a little different (though she's not a huge pop culture person so it's no biggie). Occasionally I'll reference a movie or song she doesn't know. But these things are trivial for the most part. I get along better with her older friends than I do her younger friends (not a shocker), and meeting her parents was extra scary because I'm older (but it went fine).

I think people make some big leaps and assumptions when it comes to the sexual stuff (i.e. younger people are sexually immature and selfish, older women know what they want, etc.). For us, it's great. It was from the start too. The differences between her and past partners are the typical differences that people develop in a relationship with a new person. Nothing I would pin on age. "fewer miles" isn't something I've ever felt was important. As long as there are no health risks, I don't really care who/how many people my partner has been with. I feel like there's major insecurity issues for people who have a big problem with someone who has a sexual past. Plus, many women in their 20s have had more partners than women in their 30s. My ex (32) had slept with 3 people when we started dating (when she was 30). Many 18 year olds could top that. It doesn't matter.

She's told me that I've got it together better than guys her age that she's dated. That's not a surprise as women are generally more mature. At 24, I certainly didn't have it together better than anyone. She's as accomplished professionally (maybe more) than a lot of women I've dated closer to my age. So I don't see anything starkly different there.

To reiterate my first point, this situation is so highly individualized. My only advice for "connecting" with younger women is to just be yourself. If you try hard to "connect" with younger women, you'll most likely come off looking disingenuous (at best), or even downright creepy (at worst). Some women in their early/mid-20s just aren't going to be into 30-something year old guys. That's reality. They're certainly not going to be into 30-somethings that are going out of their way to hint that they're in touch with people in their 20s. My girlfriend had never dated anyone more than a year older than her. I wasn't within her "max acceptable range" on dating sites, and she'd never considered dating an older guy (she had issues with them "creeping" on her). So when we met, I joked with her the way i would joke with someone my age (even if it meant she might not get some of my references), I didn't pretend to be fresh out of college, and I talked to her like an equal (not like I'm talking to someone younger and naive). She appreciated that and now we're dating and doing well. Women in that 21-25 range are all over the map in terms of what they're looking for and their own life experiences. trying to make a generalization about all of them would be a waste of time. But for guys in their 30s, just be yourself. Some younger women might like it, many will not. Don't sweat it.
Solid post sir. Trying not to overgeneralize, the thing is my experiences confirm the stereotypes in 100% cases lol

Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I'm acquainted with a 30 year old woman that's with a guy over 50 she has big time daddy issues because she never had one in her life at all. It's pretty sad to be honest he knows what's going on there and milking it for all it's worth.

She's like well you can control what you're attracted to, so true, but she doesn't know why she is.

She could do so much better the guy is kind of disgusting and she's way out of his league.

I'm all for a guy with a younger woman but once you hit the over 15 year difference it starts to get pretty freakin wierd imo unless you're talking about a cultural difference where it's more normal and more of a provider thing or something. Not daddy issues.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:52 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm acquainted with a 30 year old woman that's with a guy over 50 she has big time daddy issues because she never had one in her life at all. It's pretty sad to be honest he knows what's going on there and milking it for all it's worth.

She's like well you can control what you're attracted to, so true, but she doesn't know why she is.

She could do so much better the guy is kind of disgusting and she's way out of his league.

I'm all for a guy with a younger woman but once you hit the 20 year difference it starts to get pretty freakin wierd imo unless you're talking about a cultural difference where it's more normal and more of a provider thing or something. Not daddy issues.
If SHE is not disgusted, and he treats her well and she is happy, then it's none of your business.

This whole notion of leagues...so ridiculous. I actually like the feeling of being "out of his league" because I feel APPRECIATED. And it might be her case as it is in mine, that I see things in people that others do not.

Sorry, but this hits a bit close to home for me. I could imagine someone saying this about me and my man, and they'd only be ignorant for it. I couldn't care less about our 20 year age difference, or what league anybody thinks I should date in (I certainly had partners and prospects far more "hot" in my local dating market after me before I committed to him) ...the fact is, he makes me happier than anyone ever has.

There is not a chance in hell I'd sacrifice so much joy because anybody else has an opinion.

RE: Daddy issues. I don't think my issues are Daddy issues, but I do like older partners because of childhood stuff. Mostly I trust the love of older people because I was raised by grandparents more than my parents. My parents were self centered and not really that involved with me, my grandparents and my great-aunt gave me far more time and care. I like to say that "in my mind, love has wrinkles."

I think as long as someone has some awareness of the forces at work, it shouldn't really matter.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

I'm all for a guy with a younger woman but once you hit the over 15 year difference it starts to get pretty freakin wierd imo unless you're talking about a cultural difference where it's more normal and more of a provider thing or something. Not daddy issues.
This is really, really mean.

Frankly, you don't know **** about their relationship, and this ^^^ kind of thing makes you sounds like a jealous gossip.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Selfish people will seek selfish means
This is the only true narrative in this thread.

There is a reason certain archetypes typically fall in line with certain ways of life.

You can defend or affirm them for days, the only difference being your personal perspectives

Old 08-04-2017, 01:13 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This is really, really mean.

Frankly, you don't know **** about their relationship, and this ^^^ kind of thing makes you sounds like a jealous gossip.
I don't see that as mean an over 20 year difference isn't really normal and everyone that knows her thinks the same thing in this situation. If you took a survey on here most people would agree. I mostly only date younger but would never be interested in a 19 year old or something. I'm pretty sure most people would think it's wierd looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships