Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 10:43 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have been unemployed more than a handful of times over the last 20 years. I have been divorced once, and a break up of a LTR the second time that was very similar process as a divorce, because we shared a child. Never once during any of those times did I hole myself up at home and never leave the house.

Maybe you had an issue with depression which was more to blame for your lack of dating, than owning a house.
Well, yes. Of course I was deeply depressed going through a divorce and unemployment at the same time. Plus men are expected to pay for dates. I felt like I had nothing to offer and was very hurt from the divorce. Not that I didn't date at all, I had a couple rebound flings, but nobody I felt like I could have married. The pool was much better in Atlanta and its a shame I wasn't in the right place emotionally then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't really what to get into OLD but that's sort of what he's saying women have too many options online so it gives them a skewed perception of dating and expectations. Especially if you're like myself or AtlGuy and live in a manosphere metro.

I don't really know any guy that has met that many women in just a matter of months using OLD.
Let's assume 60 dates in 6 months that's still an average of over 2 new guys a week. Just doesn't seem natural.

If I dated 60 of the women I've emailed online, I would have been married when I was 25 most likely.

That comes across as serial dating to me I dunno which is fine but that would be on you to put in your profile imo.

It also most certainly does favor women due to the statistics of men and women that are using it.
I really wish women would stop trying to argue that point it makes the discussion feel less intelligent and harder to take serious.

All you have to do is go on PoF and do some searches you will get way more hits as a woman then as a man.
I was agreeing to meet everyone that messaged me. I was really trying to leave no stone untouched. It was a disaster because the vast majority just wanted a hook up, I was not attracted to them in any way, or we were not compatible. A few just did not like me. The one that I met, that I would have dated, was not interested in me. Last I looked, he is still doing the same thing he was doing 3 years ago when I went to the movies with him.

If I was being pickier and weeding out things that I knew were not my thing, I probably would have only went out with 3 of them.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well, yes. Of course I was deeply depressed going through a divorce and unemployment at the same time. Plus men are expected to pay for dates. I felt like I had nothing to offer and was very hurt from the divorce. Not that I didn't date at all, I had a couple rebound flings, but nobody I felt like I could have married. The pool was much better in Atlanta and its a shame I wasn't in the right place emotionally then.
I left my husband as a single mom with no job. I had no depression. I still went out and lived my life. 48 hours after my sons father left, I packed the kids up and we went to the beach for a week. A few months later we went for a few weeks to the Caribbean. Kids still say it was the best summer of their lives so far.

Divorce and unemployment do not trigger depression by themselves, without an underlying issue going on.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't really want to get into OLD but that's sort of what he's saying women have too many options online so it gives them a skewed perception of dating and expectations. Especially if you're like myself or AtlGuy and live in a manosphere metro.

I don't really know any guy that has met that many women in just a matter of months using OLD.
Let's assume 60 dates in 6 months that's still an average of over 2 new guys a week. Just doesn't seem natural.

If I dated 60 of the women I've emailed online, I would have been married before I was 25 most likely. That comes across as serial dating to me or shotgunning, I dunno.

Just wouldn't be my style and it seems like a lot of poofing and one and done dates. Or some sort of a lack of pre-screening, reading profiles and trying to get the gist of someone before you meet them.

It also most certainly does favor women due to the statistics of men and women that are using it. I really really wish women would stop trying to argue that point it makes the discussion feel less intelligent and harder to take serious.

I've seen a lot of women on here say they didn't know what the ratio was so I don't think they understand.

All you have to do is go on PoF and do some searches you will get way more hits as a woman than as a man. You can search for both. No matter what gender you are.
Well said. Exactly my point.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM

216 posts, read 214,409 times
Quote:
Maybe that is what I am doing wrong....

The kids and I have our own rooms and we still have a few extra bedrooms.
You do not have "extra" bedrooms: You have a future office, future guest room, and/or future music room ;-)

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I left my husband as a single mom with no job. I had no depression. I still went out and lived my life. 48 hours after my sons father left, I packed the kids up and we went to the beach for a week. A few months later we went for a few weeks to the Caribbean. Kids still say it was the best summer of their lives so far.

Divorce and unemployment do not trigger depression by themselves, without an underlying issue going on.
You're entitled to your opinion. Agree to disagree.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Maybe that is what I am doing wrong....

The kids and I have our own rooms and we still have a few extra bedrooms.
I would just use that to increase your options you're being a negative older woman and just assuming a guy is going to take advantage of you or something. See what I mean?

Turn the negative into a positive and work the situation to your benefit by increasing your options.

Not assume because you're dating a man that rents, and you have a house with extra bedrooms the big bad mean guy is going to soak you or something.

That's a perfect example of a younger woman vs older woman situation where a younger woman would be more open minded and not so negative.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:

Meeting 2 new people a week isn't a lot if you're trying. I wouldn't want to do it for months on end, personally, but I know more than a few guys and girls that do.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
I don't really want to get into OLD but that's sort of what he's saying women have too many options online so it gives them a skewed perception of dating and expectations. Especially if you're like myself or AtlGuy and live in a manosphere metro.

Have you ever considered it is the opposite? That the skewed perception and expectations are on you? Just something to consider.

I found OLD to be a hyper reality of RL. It's the same thing, just on a greater scale.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I found OLD to be a hyper reality of RL. It's the same thing, just on a greater scale.

Yup, exactly. Greater scale, and a faster one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships