Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
And I wouldn't be single if I was less picky.

Yeah, that's easy. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, that's easy. No thanks.
My standards are going up by age. Not in the looks department, but everything else.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My standards are going up by age. Not in the looks department, but everything else.
Mine are going up there as well, as the people I've dated over the last five years are hotter than pretty much any other time in my life, except for two girls in my 20s.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I've seen quite a few women in their 40s who are married to men more than 10 years older. Were those women rejected by men their own age and forced to "settle" for older men? Who knows? I was never one of those guys that women flocked to. So to be rejected by women now doesn't feel like a big change. It's hard to relate to women who say the pendulum has swung. If you're used to getting lots of attention and now get very little, do you (not you specifically) lower your standards? Hopefully that isn't the case. But when I look at some of the men 40+ women end up with, it does cross my mind. Did you choose to be with this guy because he showed interest and you figured you might not get another opportunity like this anytime soon?
Well, that definitely won't be me. Learned my lesson not to settle anymore. That's why I'm pickier than ever. Back when I was younger, I only settled because I was in relationships for the wrong reasons. Now that I've grown and see my worth, I want to meet someone who deserves me. I'm not saying that because I think I'm better than anyone, but it's because I did not value myself for the longest time and I was in poor relationships when I did that. The number one priority would have to be that he's really into me and vice versa.

I met a guy who I thought was really into me. He was gorgeous and looked young for his age (he's early 40's). It seems as soon as he found out my age and background (divorced and single mom), he lost interest in me. He's now chasing a 20 year old. As gorgeous as he was, I was only into him because he had given me so much attention. Once that attention was gone, my attraction for him diminished a lot. So...that's another thing. It's very attractive to me when a guy takes action to show me that he's into me. That's another problem. No one approaches me anymore at this age.

I haven't had luck with quality men my age and those that are 1-10 years older. They're usually all married even if they are unhappy in their marriages. I thought I would be into someone 10+ years older, but I think it really comes down to how young they act and look. By young I mean, someone who is adventurous and fun, and still looks good for his age.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Well, that definitely won't be me. Learned my lesson not to settle anymore. That's why I'm pickier than ever. Back when I was younger, I only settled because I was in relationships for the wrong reasons. Now that I've grown and see my worth, I want to meet someone who deserves me. I'm not saying that because I think I'm better than anyone, but it's because I did not value myself for the longest time and I was in poor relationships when I did that. The number one priority would have to be that he's really into me and vice versa.

I met a guy who I thought was really into me. He was gorgeous and looked young for his age (he's early 40's). It seems as soon as he found out my age and background (divorced and single mom), he lost interest in me. He's now chasing a 20 year old. As gorgeous as he was, I was only into him because he had given me so much attention. Once that attention was gone, my attraction for him diminished a lot. So...that's another thing. It's very attractive to me when a guy takes action to show me that he's into me. That's another problem. No one approaches me anymore at this age.

I haven't had luck with quality men my age and those that are 1-10 years older. They're usually all married even if they are unhappy in their marriages. I thought I would be into someone 10+ years older, but I think it really comes down to how young they act and look. By young I mean, someone who is adventurous and fun, and still looks good for his age.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Single mom thing wouldn't deter me at all (depending on how many kids, of course), as I want to be a father.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
I've seen quite a few women in their 40s who are married to men more than 10 years older. Were those women rejected by men their own age and forced to "settle" for older men? Who knows? I was never one of those guys that women flocked to. So to be rejected by women now doesn't feel like a big change. It's hard to relate to women who say the pendulum has swung. If you're used to getting lots of attention and now get very little, do you (not you specifically) lower your standards? Hopefully that isn't the case. But when I look at some of the men 40+ women end up with, it does cross my mind. Did you choose to be with this guy because he showed interest and you figured you might not get another opportunity like this anytime soon?
Personally, I've always liked older men. Definitely not lowering standards as I age (38 soon). I think with maturity you learn to not care about some things as much, though.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:

But why is that attractive to you in the first place? Is it because no one approaches you anymore? This is the point I was getting at. That if you're someone who was used to getting a lot of attention and now you're not, does the attention you finally do get cause you be attracted to that person? Cause if that's the case, then it seems like the reason you're attracted to him is because he makes you feel good about yourself. I'm not used to getting attention from women. If a woman does show interest in me, I'll be flattered, but it won't make me more attracted to her.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
But why is that attractive to you in the first place? Is it because no one approaches you anymore? This is the point I was getting at. That if you're someone who was used to getting a lot of attention and now you're not, does the attention you finally do get cause you be attracted to that person? Cause if that's the case, then it seems like the reason you're attracted to him is because he makes you feel good about yourself. I'm not used to getting attention from women. If a woman does show interest in me, I'll be flattered, but it won't make me more attracted to her.
If she's always been attracted to that, why would it change as she got older?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
Quote:

Get a cat or 3, they'll give you all the attention you require

Old 06-26-2017, 01:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geopoman View Post
Why are you so down on OKC? Is the dating scene really that tough there? Have you tried churches? Lots of women at those mega churches in Bible Belt land.

I live in San Diego and it's tough out here too. Lots of women for guys making $200K and up. So if only I can double my income, I'll really be in the money ha ha.
I feel for you...it has to be horrible to try and date out there as a man.

I have a lack of options but at least the women in my area are real and have good values. They will give middle class or working class guys a chance.

With some of my friends their wife actually makes more than they do. You would think people in more progressive states wouldn't still be stuck on 1950's era gender roles. I don't know I guess they just like money out there :-/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Personally, I've always liked older men. Definitely not lowering standards as I age (38 soon). I think with maturity you learn to not care about some things as much, though.
I'm a man over 35 but my standards are about the same as they always have been, other than the no kids requirement which naturally wasn't an issue when I was younger.

I don't get why women say they get pickier as they get older. That makes no sense, it's not like their market value goes up as they get older or something. Mens do not either unless he's loaded or is a 40 year old bodybuilder that looks 27 or something.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-26-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships