Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:13 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

There was a post on here that talked about the ratio of single men to single women and how it varied based on location and age. When I was younger, I figured that, if I was still single in my 40s, dating would be easier because the numbers would become more favorable. Now that I'm in my 40s, I can see that the numbers have indeed gotten better. In many respects, dating has gotten easier. Compared to when I was younger, I have a clearer idea of what I want and don't want, I'm more confident, and I'm better off financially. But in other respects, it's actually gotten harder. I don't want kids and would prefer not to date someone who already has them. The problem is that a lot of the single women my age already have kids from a previous marriage. I could date someone who's younger, but many of those women are looking for someone to start a family with. Plus, I'd much prefer to date someone closer to my own age. So I feel severely limited by my age, which I can't change, and my preferences, which I don't want to change. And that's before accounting for looks, personality, etc. A female coworker said that I have big advantages over other guys my age because, unlike a lot of them, I don't have any kids, I'm in good shape, and I'm actually willing to date a woman over 40. And while that may be true, I don't really feel like it's helping that much. So I was curious to hear about your experience being over 40 and being single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

I feel severely limited by my age, which I can't change, and my preferences, which I don't want to change.
I feel like this ^^^ could sum up everyone's answer.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
I was single from the age of 34 to 44. I dated SOME in those 10 years...spent far more time being single. lol

I had 2 young boys. Of course, they were my ultimate priority. I can remember a couple of guys, where my kids were "an issue". One guy, he and I took my kids fishing with us. My kids weren't exactly in to it, but they were polite about it, and they tried. It became apparent that the guy didn't really 'like' my kids...I think he though he was hiding it, but I could tell. Then one day, he said to me "I can see us being together for a long time. Once the kids are all grown (he had a 16 yr. old at the time) we should move in together."

First of all, I don't 'move in' with anyone. Second, that statement made it obvious he didn't want to raise kids anymore, at least not mine, and third, I didn't feel like waiting around 10 yrs on a guy.

The second issue guy; He and I were at my house one evening, and my boys were being little boogers. They were being total brats. I apologized at one point, for their bad behavior. He kind of laughs and says "That's OK. I can't discipline them now, but when we're married, I'LL lay down some discipline." First of all, this was the first mention of marriage, and second of all ummm no. You won't be disciplining my children. LOL

Gotta agree with you OP...dating in our 30's and 40's is hard. LOL

Old 06-16-2017, 02:40 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
Quote:
There was a post on here that talked about the ratio of single men to single women and how it varied based on location and age. When I was younger, I figured that, if I was still single in my 40s, dating would be easier because the numbers would become more favorable. Now that I'm in my 40s, I can see that the numbers have indeed gotten better. In many respects, dating has gotten easier. Compared to when I was younger, I have a clearer idea of what I want and don't want, I'm more confident, and I'm better off financially. But in other respects, it's actually gotten harder. I don't want kids and would prefer not to date someone who already has them. The problem is that a lot of the single women my age already have kids from a previous marriage. I could date someone who's younger, but many of those women are looking for someone to start a family with. Plus, I'd much prefer to date someone closer to my own age. So I feel severely limited by my age, which I can't change, and my preferences, which I don't want to change. And that's before accounting for looks, personality, etc. A female coworker said that I have big advantages over other guys my age because, unlike a lot of them, I don't have any kids, I'm in good shape, and I'm actually willing to date a woman over 40. And while that may be true, I don't really feel like it's helping that much. So I was curious to hear about your experience being over 40 and being single.
Like you said, certain factors may limit your options. Back when I was still dating, most of the men I dated were in their late 30s to early 40s, and the majority had children, and some were still open to having children. Being CFBC and preferring to date child-free women plays a major role in your dating pool. While you have other things going for you, those two factors may prove to be an issue, as you know.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:44 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
Quote:
being over 40 and being single.
I very much enjoy being single. Wouldn't change it unless someone really amazing came along with their "stuff" together and their head on completely straight about life. Then maybe I'd "consider" it.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I met my husband when he was 40 and I was 35. We were both childless (as opposed to childfree), and we're both pretty elated and impressed to meet somebody else who wanted kids, but hadn't had then yet.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
I have a clearer idea of what I want and don't want, I'm more confident, and I'm better off financially.
I'm actually willing to date a woman over 40.
I don't want kids and would prefer not to date someone who already has them.
Of the few single women over 40 who don't already have a child (or three)...
the next largest group are those who reallllllly want to have a child (or three).
That doesn't leave you a lot of options.

But the largest pool of these poor options would be the highly career oriented.
Most of them however don't have much time for relationships either.
Enjoy the hunt.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Relationships and dating is not suppose to be easy.

If you want to get what you want, you have to work for it and earn it.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
I wish I could tell you how to find or attract the never-married or never had kids 40-something women. I seemed to attract a LOT of them when I was dating, and most were great - most of my post-divorce relationships were with such women. I wonder if it's a New England thing? Most lived there, although one of my favorites was a Brit living in Hong Kong - but I digress ....

I think you should be flexible in what you want, though. The woman who totally blew me away and captured my heart and imagination was divorced with two kids; 37, and I was 45. A few years later, the kids had moved out, but we're still going strong.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 PM

421 posts, read 237,953 times
Is it supposed to be hard? I thought if you met the person they'd just treat you right and it would come together quickly and easily. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships