Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 AM

221 posts, read 132,254 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Generally speaking, men who work in male dominated fields (construction, finance) are seen as attractive to women. These are seen as masculine careers, and usually pay pretty well. I'm making more of a general statement, not an absolute one.

My question, for guys who work in female dominated fields (such as, nursing, social services, teaching), any tips on how to be more attractive to females. Typically, these fields excluding nursing do not pay as well as the above careers, and may view the guy as less masculine compared to if he worked in a career such as, construction.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,828,016 times
Just be yourself

Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,341,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Just be yourself
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Most of my adult life I have worked as a caregiver, a librarian or in social services. All typically female-dominated. That works well for me because even at my age, I have issues with male authority figures and I respond well to female supervisors. I try to just be my normal, genuine self, for better, or possibly more often, worse. I yam whats I yam.

Bear in mind, as far as potential workplace relationships, many women who work in such fields may appreciate a more cerebral or sensitive-natured guy over a construction worker or something. I realize that statement involves several stereotypes.

But above all, yes, be yourself. I wish more people would more often be straightforward, genuine and naturally themselves. You have to know who you are and just be that. The right people will gravitate to you.

Consider: if you are trying to be someone you are not, what will you attract? How could you keep up that artifice or "stage version" of yourself? What happens when you drop the pretense, or forget to wear the mask? More importantly, why would you enter into any kind of relationship with any other human predicated on you not being yourself? It seems like deception. I mean, most people try to be on good behavior when meeting new people, and we react differently to different people in different situations, but that's not the same as purposefully misrepresenting yourself or your personality.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times
Why would you need to be more attractive? It's work not going to a club picking up women.
(I'm not saying to be a disgusting dirty slob at work. )

Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
I can't imagine that many women meet a great guy who's gainfully employed and think, "if only he were in construction..."

Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,341,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't imagine that many women meet a great guy who's gainfully employed and think, "if only he were in construction..."
Okay, who was your favorite member of the Village People?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,314,142 times
I wouldn't try to be attractive to the women I work with. I'm there do my job not get a date.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
Hi,

Generally speaking, men who work in male dominated fields (construction, finance) are seen as attractive to women. These are seen as masculine careers, and usually pay pretty well. I'm making more of a general statement, not an absolute one.

My question, for guys who work in female dominated fields (such as, nursing, social services, teaching), any tips on how to be more attractive to females. Typically, these fields excluding nursing do not pay as well as the above careers, and may view the guy as less masculine compared to if he worked in a career such as, construction.

Thanks.
Get out of your head, and into reality. Teachers find other teachers attractive; they have a lot in common, which is one thing that figures into attraction. Women teachers don't think of male teachers as less masculine; that's ridiculous. Male nurses are attractive simply for being in a healing, caring profession. That's very attractive to women. Many women are not looking for a breadwinner type. They're looking for a decent guy who will treat them well, and with whom they can create a combined income sufficient to their needs, with a little extra for fun. That is all. Keep away from the bro blogs, or you'll be hopelessly confused about this stuff.

Most real women aren't looking for John Wayne cowboy, or a captain of industry, or a corporate lawyer. A few are, but you don't need to concern yourself with them.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:32 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,375,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
*snort*

"Construction" has never come to mind as a desired career or employment for a significant other. Or even "manly" jobs.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,347,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why would you need to be more attractive? It's work not going to a club picking up women.
(I'm not saying to be a disgusting dirty slob at work. )
This. I work in an industry dominated by females (CPS). I just appear neat, well groomed and professional. And as another poster said, I'm there to do my job. I don't date coworkers. And have no desire to - I keep my professional and personal lives separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships