Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I hate the phone. I am not “scared” to use it. I worked in a call center. I worked in a job that required me to do extensive presentations over the phone. I just don’t care for it and in this day in age, I think a lot of people find it intrusive. It is simply a lot easier to find time to answer a text than to answer a phone call. FWIW, I am 40.
I hate the phone, too.
I'm on it all day, not to mention having to talk to people all day for my job.
I love the convenience and timeliness of text.

But

A. The op said he didn't call bc he's basically scared of the phone. I don't know how you made this about you.

B. Even though there are things that are annoying, tiresome, and irritating to do, making a good impression on someone you plan on dating by having the manners to make ONE freakin' phone call is kind of important.

After that, text away! Texting can be cute and sexy and a little pick me up in the middle of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM

204 posts, read 129,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A. The op said he didn't call bc he's basically scared of the phone. I don't know how you made this about you.

B. Even though there are things that are annoying, tiresome, and irritating to do, making a good impression on someone you plan on dating by having the manners to make ONE freakin' phone call is kind of important.

After that, text away! Texting can be cute and sexy and a little pick me up in the middle of the day.
I took your comment in a general sense as well, so I misunderstood you. In terms of the op and/or dating I completely agree with you; pick up the phone and call. Start things out on the right foot. Once you get past a date or two, then text away.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:20 PM

728 posts, read 472,182 times
I'm not a talker, the last woman I was involved with, I saw from Aug-Nov. We had over 10,000 texts in that time, and I think 2 phone calls.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:59 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Quote:
I hate the phone, too.

But

Personally, if anybody I was getting to know called me, that would make a bad impression. If we aren't family or best friends, don't call me. It's weird and comes across as kinda aggressive. I realize calling used to be the norm, but times have changed. I'm not sure where the age cutoff is for thinking calling is weird, but as a person in their mid 20s I can guarantee myself and all of my close friends would be weirded out if a guy called to set up a date instead of texting/Snapchat/messenger.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Personally, if anybody I was getting to know called me, that would make a bad impression. If we aren't family or best friends, don't call me. It's weird and comes across as kinda aggressive. I realize calling used to be the norm, but times have changed. I'm not sure where the age cutoff is for thinking calling is weird, but as a person in their mid 20s I can guarantee myself and all of my close friends would be weirded out if a guy called to set up a date instead of texting/Snapchat/messenger.
Personally speaking the cutoff for me is how I met the person I'd be trying to date. For OLD, it's a must that I talk to the person before setting up any sort of meet, simply because you have no idea who the person on the other end of the computer may be. Sorry, but I'm less inclined to want to even make a date with a woman that has a voice like a fog horn regardless of what her profile pictures look like. Now for someone I met out and about and have already seen face to face, then my original comment on the phone applies. We don't need to talk, a text is just fine. lol

Old 10-06-2017, 05:05 PM

696 posts, read 905,206 times
Quote:
I hate the phone, too.

But

I never said I was scared to use the phone. Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:07 PM

696 posts, read 905,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
Personally speaking the cutoff for me is how I met the person I'd be trying to date. For OLD, it's a must that I talk to the person before setting up any sort of meet, simply because you have no idea who the person on the other end of the computer may be. Sorry, but I'm less inclined to want to even make a date with a woman that has a voice like a fog horn regardless of what her profile pictures look like. Now for someone I met out and about and have already seen face to face, then my original comment on the phone applies. We don't need to talk, a text is just fine. lol
What is your age, so I know how common texting is for your age?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
What is your age, so I know how common texting is for your age?
No offense but I'm not going to answer that as it won't give you any useful info based on your question. lol

I will say this, when I was doing OLD the first thing I would do is get their number and shoot off a text, but only to verify that they gave me accurate information. Once I had that confirmed, then I'd ask when I can call for a quick chat (I plan for 5-10 minutes only, if we connect and talk longer, great, if not, no big deal, it's just 5 minutes) because it's easier to gauge their level of interest by hearing their voice. There's all sorts of subtle clues you can pick up on when you *listen* to what someone else is saying to you and you can get at least an initial feel for them and see if you even want to continue trying to pursue anything with that person. If you can't even get someone to have a brief phone conversation, then often trying to get them into an actual date tends to be more effort than it's worth in the long run. After that first call to touch base and basically "see what's up" then I'm good with texting going forward. ETA: Unless she insists on being on the phone, then I'll suffer through it...for a while - those after work venting calls can be a killer! lol

Face-to-face meets, none of that applies. I'd already have an idea for the woman since I've already met her, so I'm good just texting from that point on. Unless you're family, or incredibly interesting, I have no interest in spending a lot of time on the phone talking to you. (Generic you's of course.)

Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
I hate the phone although I have been told I have a seductive voice.
I can collect my thoughts and be more cohesive in text and avoid rambling.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I hate the phone although I have been told I have a seductive voice.
lol Describe it as sultry. That's a good adjective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I can collect my thoughts and be more cohesive in text and avoid rambling.
lol That's why I keep it short.

"Hi, how you doing?"

"Oh, that's great/sorry to hear that, my day was (blahblahblah). So you interested in meeting up (or whatever you tend to say)?"

"Ok, cool."

*couple minutes of idle chatter and depending on what she says/her level of interest, make plans and wrap up*

"Hey, I've gotta run and take care of some things. I'll text you later tonight and we can finalize our plans. Have a good one!"

That quickie conversation can tell you all you need to know if she's up for something. Of course, YMMV, but it worked for me when I was dabbling in that world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships