Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 11:36 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
O.P. didn't say frugal tho......she said stingy af.
One person's stingy is another person's frugal.

Quote:
... AND 42 is too young to retire anyways IMO...specially if you gotta be stingy to do it.
I would disagree with you on this point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 11:43 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
One person's stingy is another person's frugal.

But it's O.P.'s thread & problem.....& she called it stingy. IMO it would be a dealbreaker.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:50 AM

1,579 posts, read 952,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So he makes good money and he is into investments, and he is training himself to be very frugal. Maybe he wants to 'retire early'.

I could see where I met that description when I was in my 20s and 30s, and I retired at 42.

That is not a bad thing.

In general, no, it's not a bad thing at all to be frugal, save more than you spend, etc. That's a good, healthy relationship with money. If he's FIRE, that could be a deal breaker for a lot of people. Not everyone likes that lifestyle choice. I for one am all about the FI but not the RE end of things.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:01 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat.vs.marsbar View Post
I actually came across this forum while I was reading up on this topic. Anyway, let me start and be warn that this might be long, as I'm not very good at simplifying details.

Recently have been going out with this guy who loves bragging about his money. I actually went out for a date with him once early last year, but he came on a bit too strong and it freaked me out. I felt like whenever I'm talking and he's listening, he's giving me this look that made me uncomfortable. Not sexual but just sort of an intense look maybe? I ignored his message after that because back then I didnt' have the balls to tell someone I'm not interested. He got a bit bitter by sending a link on rejection article/video. Understandable but most guys I have met before this would just move on, as would i.

So guys, thoughts?
i stopped reading here. RIDICULOUS. What a drama queen. I bet he has a ton of selfies and quotes on his social media.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:30 PM

972 posts, read 543,622 times
He said he wants a relationship with shared financial responsibilities. If you make 10 times less than he does, that isn't going to work. He should date people closer to his financial level, especially since money seems to be a priority for him.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
He said he wants a relationship with shared financial responsibilities. If you make 10 times less than he does, that isn't going to work. He should date people closer to his financial level, especially since money seems to be a priority for him.

For a guy that is stingy...ita.....BUT not for everybody that has money. My fiance makes lots more than me & it works with us....super well. He's not stingy....or controlling tho.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 PM

972 posts, read 543,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
For a guy that is stingy
It's his prerogative to want more of an equal financial partner.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
It's his prerogative to want more of an equal financial partner.

I didn't say it wasn't tho ...he can be stingy all he wants. BUT.. for some men like my fiance.......he wouldn't be able to find somebody that makes equal to him cause not many women make what he makes IMO....tho I'm lucky he doesn't put that much importance on money or need to have it even.

edit: it seems kinda superficial IMO....dating somebody based on what they make AND really stingy.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-06-2020 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 06:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The people I know who are truly well off don't behave like this guy, constantly making a "thing" out of their money and possessions. But anyway, the money isn't the issue.

His being frugal would not bother me so much as the fact that he's inconsiderate, which is nor a quirk. It's downright rude to say these kinds of things:

... regardless of how much money you have.

Maybe he thinks he's fending off the fabled gold-diggers by behaving this way. Whatever ... there's a difference in giving someone the benefit of the doubt and willingly walking past flaming red flags.

Just because you have self-worth issues doesn't mean you need to give every a-hole a chance. Read some more about emotional boundaries and know what really is and should be acceptable to you. Someone who is this disrespectful and careless on an early date is not going to morph into Prince Charming 10 or 20 years down the road.
Fending off gold diggers, he'd hide his wealth. I dating a wealthy guy like this in college. He pretended to be poor until he knew I loved him poor. His cheap ways were annoying once I knew. Just WAY too frugal. I get frugal is how one stays wealthy, but things can be taken too far.

Back when a rewind button for cassette in car was an upgrade for his beater, I was like for God's sake, how much did you save on this???????? ugh.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,600,838 times
This thread is two years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships