Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 AM

39 posts, read 43,226 times

Advertisements

By "old school" I mean things such as opening the car door for you, opening the door when entering a place, pulling your chair, etc.?

It seems as if for a lot of young women today those are seen as outdated or even sexist things to do. Not all women mind you, of course. I was raised and believed to do such things and did so for my now wife and she has always enjoyed them. Not all times at every occasion mind you, but say we are having a date night or going somewhere fancy. Depends on the venue and the circumstances. While I am willing to "adapt" if a woman doesn't like it or view them as offensive I really don't like it when they are mean about it. Before I met my wife I went on a date with a woman that, when we were walking up to the restaurant for our date I kind of lunged forward and opened the door and she yelled out "What the hell are you doing??" when I explained she said "That's some old sexist stuff, I am fully capable of opening the damn door!". She was not pleased to say the least. Obviously didn't stick around with her for long but for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin778 View Post
By "old school" I mean things such as opening the car door for you, opening the door when entering a place, pulling your chair, etc.?

It seems as if for a lot of young women today those are seen as outdated or even sexist things to do. Not all women mind you, of course. I was raised and believed to do such things and did so for my now wife and she has always enjoyed them. Not all times at every occasion mind you, but say we are having a date night or going somewhere fancy. Depends on the venue and the circumstances. While I am willing to "adapt" if a woman doesn't like it or view them as offensive I really don't like it when they are mean about it. Before I met my wife I went on a date with a woman that, when we were walking up to the restaurant for our date I kind of lunged forward and opened the door and she yelled out "What the hell are you doing??" when I explained she said "That's some old sexist stuff, I am fully capable of opening the damn door!". She was not pleased to say the least. Obviously didn't stick around with her for long but for other reasons.
That reaction is ridiculous regardless of whether it's date that did so or some polite stranger on the street.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
It is only seen as old fashioned because they've probably never even seen it done in old movies because they don't watch them! And I don't think many women actually yell and curse at men who open doors for them...unless men make a huge show of it - and making a show of things is NEVER polite.

How about men be genuinely nice and caring about dating in general - most women would rather have that than men blindly fumbling with manners they don't know or really even care about. Do something that is MEANINGFUL rather than foisting a custom on women that has been forgotten. It's all about RESPECT.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
I believe it’s always a kindly gesture. No, it’s not necessary. Yes, it’s old fashioned. Opening a door is a formalized symbol of someone putting the other person first.

Even if you’re young and perfectly modern, if you’re going on a fancy date, both of you might enjoy dressing up and role playing with your old-fashioned good manners.

In day to day life, it’s not expected unless someone needs a hand.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,016,357 times
Probably one of the most insulting responses I ever got from manners was a woman who laughed at me standing when she entered the room and saying "You're just doing that because you saw it in a movie."

She had no manners herself, nor even most of the common courtesies.

Needless to say, it didn't work out. Oh, wait -- I didn't need to say that.

By contrast, another time the wife of a friend showed up for supper and later at the table commented "More guys could take lessons from you." I honestly didn't realize what she meant until she told me, because I don't think about things like standing, I just do them.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,016,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I believe it’s always a kindly gesture. No, it’s not necessary. Yes, it’s old fashioned. Opening a door is a formalized symbol of someone putting the other person first.

Even if you’re young and perfectly modern, if you’re going on a fancy date, both of you might enjoy dressing up and role playing with your old-fashioned good manners.

In day to day life, it’s not expected unless someone needs a hand.
Technically, I think it's a remnant from the days of letting a worthless woman take an arrow, in case there's an assassin in the other chamber, but I like the way we've modified it for a gentler time.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 AM

212 posts, read 162,472 times
Why do you care since you say you are married OP.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Outdated or not - it is a nice gesture. I always still get really weak in the knees when I am with a guy who puts gas in the car for me.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
I do all that stuff, and not just on dates, but for friends, relatives, and strangers too. It was how I was raised. I'd feel weird not doing that.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:39 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That reaction is ridiculous regardless of whether it's date that did so or some polite stranger on the street.
I've never understood such a reaction to opening a door. It's a courteous thing to do. I do it for men and women - if I see someone close behind me as I enter a building, I hold the door for them. My husband does, too, and we've taught our kids the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships