Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Defensiveness noted.

What word play?
Leading me to pick an answer I would NOT choose, because I don't have to. That's not defensive, it's the truth. My opinion was asked for, so you don't get to decide I'm "wrong". Sheesh, you won't be confused with the guy who likes having manners, don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Leading me to pick an answer I would NOT choose,

What are you talking about?
I asked you to rate three things. That's not leading you to pick an answer that you would not choose.

Quote:
My opinion was asked for, so you don't get to decide I'm "wrong".

Where did I do this?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM

48,537 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:

What are you talking about?
I asked you to rate three things. That's not leading you to pick an answer that you would not choose.

Where did I do this?

You are putting 3 options before her and asking her to rate them. As those are not the only options in life, they don't really apply to anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-05-2018, 02:59 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As those are not the only options in life, they don't really apply to anything.
How have you come to that conclusion?
Of course they apply to something

Old 01-05-2018, 03:39 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
How have you come to that conclusion?
Of course they apply to something
And what hat did you pull that rabbit out of, or was it a hole? How did you decide between hat, hole and trail? And how do you go down a rabbit trail if there's snow, is it instinct? And why conclude it can only be rabbits when it is a monkey that historically is distracted by a shiny coin? 🐒

Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Thanks for womansplaining to me what instinct and bystander effect is. What would i have done without you. Opening a door for a woman, was taught to be something nice that men can do for the opposite sex. I was raised to do that, so when you receive negative reinforcement for trying to do something nice for a stranger, it really sticks out in your memory. Its just a single symptom of sickness in this society.
I think you are proving my point that it is entirely possible for a man to hold doors open, open a car door and perform other old school mannerisms for women without actually respecting them much at all. You may go through the ritualized motions but don't seem to understand that women are human beings each with unique personalities and quirks. Some will like what you do, others will be indifferent and some will react negatively. You seem to have some idealized version of a woman in your head that matches up more with an animated Disney princess than an actual living person.

And when you say that you were raised to be nice to women, I find that really hard to believe. You may hold the door open for them, but clearly you don't believe them to be your equal and worthy of respect. Your use of the word "womansplaining" and overall attitude betrays your true feelings. Your assertion that men have an innate need to protect and help women implies that you believe women are in need of your help and protection. If you can't identify the sexism inherent in that belief than you will never understand many of the posts in this thread.

Last edited by shorman; 01-05-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 04:23 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin778 View Post
... Before I met my wife I went on a date with a woman that, when we were walking up to the restaurant for our date I kind of lunged forward and opened the door and she yelled out "What the hell are you doing??" when I explained she said "That's some old sexist stuff, I am fully capable of opening the damn door!". She was not pleased to say the least. Obviously didn't stick around with her for long but for other reasons.
A female barked at me for that same behavior once.

I had no idea what to say.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:05 PM

983 posts, read 2,775,131 times
I am a very modern woman and a feminist. I like when people hold
doors open for me and I hold the door open for others too, whether men or women. If i am opening a door and someone is behind me, I will wait and hold it for them.

One time an elderly man was behind me and he snapped at me for holding the door open and said he was not helpless. I guess he assumed I was only holding the door for him because he was elderly.

I don't EXPECT a man to open a door for me because I am a woman. I am more than capable of opening it myself but I think it's a sweet gesture.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
Thank you for letting me know that they are just trying to be polite and thoughtful. And for letting me know how I should respond, I wouldn't have known otherwise! As I've mentioned in a previous post, I wouldn't act offended. But I, personally, don't care for grand, chivalrous gestures such as opening car doors and pulling back my chair, regardless of intent. I'd thank them, but would probably follow up with a "that's not necessary". At the end of the day, we are talking about dates here. I'm looking to meet somebody on my wavelength, when I go on a date. Thankfully, this has never been an issue. I'm guessing I'm from a different generation, but I have never encountered such behaviours on a date. That isn't to say the men I have dated weren't polite or thoughtful, they just showed it in a different way.

Interesting that you should mention 'control' though. How does control come into it? I thought we were just talking about politeness and thoughtfulness.
People who feel their hackles rise when someone does something for them often have control issues. That's all.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I am a very modern woman and a feminist. I like when people hold
doors open for me and I hold the door open for others too, whether men or women. If i am opening a door and someone is behind me, I will wait and hold it for them.

One time an elderly man was behind me and he snapped at me for holding the door open and said he was not helpless. I guess he assumed I was only holding the door for him because he was elderly.

Yeah, people won't always be gracious. Cost of being mannerly. You run into some who aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships