Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM

53 posts, read 87,118 times

Advertisements

Most men say face matters more than body when pursuing a long term relationship.
Yet, I see that when men are looking for a quick hook-up body takes more importance than face in many instances.

So when men compute who to pursue out a group of girls what is their algorithm when determining who is the most attractive?

It seems that when pursuing long-term relationships or when they body is covered and isn't obviously seen then the ratio of importance is 70% face and 30% body

So a girl with a 8 face and a 6 body is given a 8.0(.7)+6(.3)=7.4
However, when pursuing a hook-up the face and body matter equally dropping the girl to a 7

A girl with a 6 face and 8 body when pursuing a long-term relationship is given a score of 6.6
However, when pursuing a hook-up she becomes a 7.

The 70/30 ratio is the one I'd say most men go by when in search of a long term mate. Albeit unknowing of their natural attractiveness algorithm, it seems to be the one most of them go by naturally.

But when looking for a simple hook-up body matters equally to face. There it's a 50-50 and in some case 40-60 ratio, because subconsciously men are always looking to hook-up with women who are fertile and can give them healthy offspring.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
The answer is it doesn't matter. Men who use algorithms to decide who to date aren't successful with women.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:44 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Hahahaha!

"When men compute ...?"

Noelle ... honey ...

It always seems like more of a question of geometry...in particular whichever woman brought him to a 45-degree angle.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I think men and women both tend to set different priorities when they're looking for a quick fix versus a long term relationship.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Hahahaha!

"When men compute ...?"

Noelle ... honey ...

It always seems like more of a question of geometry...in particular whichever woman brought him to a 45-degree angle.

I'm not saying they're pulling out their calculator to decide whether to hit or not. It's moreso natural in them. Like their brains know the math automatically.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
This is dumb! Nobody does a literal computation like this.

And not only is everyone different but so is every decision. A guy can be captivated by a girl for a gajillion different reasons and they may be different from the reasons he was captivated by the last girl.

You've never known any man whose exes all look different and who have different bodies? Or a man who seemed to have a face or body "type" but who fell in love with a woman who was different in these ways and/or other ways? This happens regularly enough with a wide variety of people that this "computation" is irrelevant. So who cares? The guy likes you...or he doesn't. And he may find a girl who's about equal to your attractiveness in face/body whom he flips over, while he passed you by.

So yes. Irrelevant.

My first love cheated on me with a dumpy, puffy chick with a huge nose but really awesome hair. I was a super-cute teen with a smoking body. When he cheated on the girl he cheated on me with (???), it was with a girl with a dancer's body, way reedier than I was, and quite wiry dancer muscular, but a total butterface. Going backward to before me, his then-ex was facially really, really beautiful. I was quite cute but she was classically beautiful. Her body was about average.

My husband's first love was a model, literally. Nose job and everything. Skinny and tall. His ex immediately before me was overweight and her face was about average. I was, at that time, very thin (I'm average now and I work out) and had a pretty face, but I was not a model. I am almost a full foot shorter than my husband's model-ex (she was 6' tall).

Just be your best you, and find somebody who wants that, at that moment, in that given time of his life, in combination with your personality, interests and so on. It will happen, or it won't, with a given guy, no matter what you think his "natural mental computation" should be.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I also feel obligated (not really obligated at all) to mention that an apparent woman has taken the reductive and dehumanizing tendency to speak of woman as numbers to a new low. But her math skills are good.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is dumb! Nobody does a literal computation like this.

And not only is everyone different but so is every decision. A guy can be captivated by a girl for a gajillion different reasons and they may be different from the reasons he was captivated by the last girl.

You've never known any man whose exes all look different and who have different bodies? Or a man who seemed to have a face or body "type" but who fell in love with a woman who was different in these ways and/or other ways? This happens regularly enough with a wide variety of people that this "computation" is irrelevant. So who cares? The guy likes you...or he doesn't. And he may find a girl who's about equal to your attractiveness in face/body whom he flips over, while he passed you by.

So yes. Irrelevant.

My first love cheated on me with a dumpy, puffy chick with a huge nose but really awesome hair. I was a super-cute teen with a smoking body. When he cheated on the girl he cheated on me with (???), it was with a girl with a dancer's body, way reedier than I was, and quite wiry dancer muscular, but a total butterface. Going backward to before me, his then-ex was facially really, really beautiful. I was quite cute but she was classically beautiful. Her body was about average.

My husband's first love was a model, literally. Nose job and everything. Skinny and tall. His ex immediately before me was overweight and her face was about average. I was, at that time, very thin (I'm average now and I work out) and had a pretty face, but I was not a model. I am almost a full foot shorter than my husband's model-ex (she was 6' tall).

Just be your best you, and find somebody who wants that, at that moment, in that given time of his life, in combination with your personality, interests and so on. It will happen, or it won't, with a given guy, no matter what you think his "natural mental computation" should be.

Sorry to break it to you but there's literal studies and science behind what I said.
Sure your bf cheated on you with someone you deemed ugly and puffy, but to him he may have a specific body type he likes rendering her body maybe higher than yours TO HIM!

For Long Term, Men Favor Face Over Figure: Studied - The New York Times

Which matters more for attractiveness: a woman's face or body? - Seriously, Science?

I'm not saying there aren't other factors at play here like personality. But I'm talking about initial attraction if I didn't make it clear. When a guy first talks to a girl he doesn't know her personality or anything much about her. All he knows is he's interested based off of her look. Aka meaning her face and body.

I'm saying what guys consider when they see a girl to determine her attractiveness right off the bat. Not the girls overall attractiveness once they get to know her.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I also feel obligated (not really obligated at all) to mention that an apparent woman has taken the reductive and dehumanizing tendency to speak of woman as numbers to a new low. But her math skills are good.
Stop with your faux feminist outrage.

The numbers scale applies to men as well. However women tend to care more for a man's face during most times of the month excluding when they are ovulating. Then women care about a man's body equally if not more.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:26 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle25_0 View Post
Sure your bf cheated on you with someone you deemed ugly and puffy, but to him he may have a specific body type he likes rendering her body maybe higher than yours TO HIM!

Sure. And then, a few months later, somehow, his body "type" changed yet again...to something neither I nor the cheater-girl had. (???)

So the body type that TO HIM was "better," changed three times in the space of a year. OR maybe "numbers" are silly and it will always be a combination of factors that make people really hit one another hard romantically.

Ergo...numbers were irrelevant. (Not because this happened to me, one person; but because it happens to people every single day...all different people...in all different circumstances...of both genders.)

Irrelevant.

You're sorry to break the science to me? I'm sorry that you have so much extra time on your hands that you have to sit around making up computations instead of getting out there and falling in love...for a number of reasons. So we're both sorry; hey, at least apparently there's caring and concern here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships