Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,637 times

Advertisements

I met my girlfriend online in August, we matched on two dating sites, so I figured I'd message her. We talked for a couple weeks, via text and online, and met up on our first date in September. Since then it's been amazing. We see each other every weekend, usually spending all weekend together (friday nights-sundays) We live an hour away and work full time, but we've also been trying to see one another during the week once or twice too. I'm definitely in love with this woman and it's the best relationship I've ever had. We both want to get married and have discussed it a little bit, but it's only been 5 months. I was considering looking at rings, but I get freaked out when considering the relatively short length of our relationship at this point. Is 5-6 months too soon to be discussing marriage and getting engaged? I definitely see myself putting a ring on her finger by the end of 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 03:00 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
How old are you? I was engaged to my husband after 6 months, but we were both in our 30s, & knew it was for us. I think you age & how many prior relationships both of you have experienced is important too.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Have you met her friends and family?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
How old are you? I was engaged to my husband after 6 months, but we were both in our 30s, & knew it was for us. I think you age & how many prior relationships both of you have experienced is important too.
I'm 29 and she's 27

Old 01-27-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Have you met her friends and family?
yes

Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
dano, there is no 'right' schedule for everybody.
If even just all the 'regulars' on here told you what their experience was, you'll get answers running the full gamut of times.
At least you aren't 'babies'.Do what you both feel is right for you.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:46 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
The end of 2018 is 11 months away so there's plenty of time to still get to know each other over the course of the year before making that ultimate commitment. Also, it takes more than a few months for the novelty to wear off and settle into more of a routine, seeing each other at your best and worst, how you handle difficulties, etc.

There isn't any harm in waiting, whereas there could be harm, so to speak, in rushing things.

IMO.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I think the lightning bolt really can hit that fast. But it may be smart to plan for a reasonable length engagement. So IOW, maybe get engaged and plan to marry 12 months from now.

This way you will both operate under a commitment in some formalized way like you want (the ring) but will still have that extra time to let the whirlwind part die down and allow real life in. See how how you both feel after that point. If it's really love 12 months won't make a difference, if it isn't really love 12 months will make a difference.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:06 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
There’s no harm in discussing marriage. You could even become engaged, depending on your personalities. However, both of you need to agree that it will be wise to take awhile longer to get to know one another before you tie the knot.

You’re both at an ideal age.

Still, even if you’re sure, there will be surprising quirks you’ll discover. Study up on how to have a successful marriage. Answer a few questionnaires to determine how each of you prefer to handle finances, child rearing, work/life balance, and other unexpected consequences of being together. The better you learn to communicate and resolve conflict before you marry, the more prepared you’ll be.

Congrats on finding someone you love that much.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoman88 View Post
I met my girlfriend online in August, we matched on two dating sites, so I figured I'd message her. We talked for a couple weeks, via text and online, and met up on our first date in September. Since then it's been amazing. We see each other every weekend, usually spending all weekend together (friday nights-sundays) We live an hour away and work full time, but we've also been trying to see one another during the week once or twice too. I'm definitely in love with this woman and it's the best relationship I've ever had. We both want to get married and have discussed it a little bit, but it's only been 5 months. I was considering looking at rings, but I get freaked out when considering the relatively short length of our relationship at this point. Is 5-6 months too soon to be discussing marriage and getting engaged? I definitely see myself putting a ring on her finger by the end of 2018.
I’d suggest two things:

1)Live together before getting engaged or married and test out how that works.
2)Go through some life struggles together. Marriage isn’t about the great times but how people react under adverse times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships