Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 686,003 times

Advertisements

If a guy says he wants exclusivity, because it would provide him with “security”, but that if you later broke up, it would not be “a failure”, is he sufficiently into you or are you his security blanket? He also says that he loves you, and later tells you he loves you but when he aays that what he is hoping to do is provide a level of comfort and security for you so that you feel comfortable. Essentially, is he asking for exclusivity because he likes you a lot, or because he is insecure and needs someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
Oh, security blanket for sure.

The big red flag here is that he is being careful to put in his escape clause before you've even made this agreement. Most people who desire exclusivity aren't thinking of the potential "failure" of the relationship well ahead of time in quite this way.

He wants YOU to sleep around but if he does, and you find out, well, don't worry; at least it wasn't like it was a failure or anything.

Just my take. I'd be turning that down gently and continuing to look around, personally.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 AM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
It could be anything.

For me, saying he loves in order to make me feel secure would NOT be what I was looking for in a partner.

But once again, you have someone that seems a little..... different.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Also, provide a level of comfort....wow, straight out of PUA. Look it up. Seriously, this is directly how men are told to get a woman to sleep with them. He just happened to be kind of bad at it, using the L word and then realizing he shouldn't have. Oh man. I'd dump this dude.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It could be anything.

For me, saying he loves in order to make me feel secure would NOT be what I was looking for in a partner.

But once again, you have someone that seems a little..... different.
Different how?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
It sounds OK to me but just from someone that is pretty clumsy in his wording.
I'll bet that more people than already have are going to attach too much negative importance on his use of the word security.
After all, this is amateur psych central

Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Different how?

Different as in she has another guy saying weird stuff. Unless I am confusing her with another poster.

If a guy said the stuff in the OP to me I'd be like "WTF?" and outta there..

I've never had a guy into me who said stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2018, 11:03 AM

1,178 posts, read 686,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Different as in she has another guy saying weird stuff. Unless I am confusing her with another poster.

If a guy said the stuff in the OP to me I'd be like "WTF?" and outta there..

I've never had a guy into me who said stuff like that.
Ok. I do tend to be meeting some wierd ines. OLD for you I guess.

I have met dome good people too. I think I will be gently and kindly moving on from this one. That was my gut feeling, the escape clause. To me, i look at commitment as a big step, and I would be looking for it to become more serious, not casual with an out. I am trying to narrow my field and I think this one isnout.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
If a guy says he wants exclusivity, because it would provide him with “security”, but that if you later broke up, it would not be “a failure”, is he sufficiently into you or are you his security blanket? He also says that he loves you, and later tells you he loves you but when he aays that what he is hoping to do is provide a level of comfort and security for you so that you feel comfortable. Essentially, is he asking for exclusivity because he likes you a lot, or because he is insecure and needs someone?
When you asked him these questions what did he say?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It sounds OK to me but just from someone that is pretty clumsy in his wording.
I'll bet that more people than already have are going to attach too much negative importance on his use of the word security.
After all, this is amateur psych central
The reality is that people don't usually come onto anonymous forums worried like this if they don't already have a concern. The OP even named those specific concerns, nobody pulled these suggestions out of a hat and stepped on an otherwise great relationship or something.

Sure, some people panic over nothing but the OP's feelings must also be taken into consideration since only she knows exactly how all this went down.

I generally feel (when questions of this type come up) that the person already must have asked actual friends and didn't get the response she wanted to hear, or else she knew what she might hear so she skipped real life associations altogether, looking for hope in strangers. That is just how life works. No psych degree required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships