Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:59 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times

Advertisements

Got an e-mail titled "Trying to get closure" from some random guy to one of my business e-mails.

This shows me the guy google searched me and found my business address and e-mail (I no longer own the business but still maintain the e-mail as a courtesy from the new owners).

Anyway the tl;dr version of his e-mail is:

Quote:
"In college I was madly in love with your wife and we dated for 2 years. We took language classes together, I was amazed by her personality. Her wit was so attractive and her body was hot too. Because I was young I was addicted to video games, and ran up a huge credit card debt buying up Japanese toys, video games, and anime. After a semester of that I got kicked out of school.

Eventually she found out and dumped me and I haven't been able to forget her since.

I used to accidentally call your wife's name out when I was with my now ex-wife. That probably lead to my divorce.

My request to you is that I can get one phone call with your wife for an hour to say sorry and ask for forgiveness. I'm asking you because as a man, I would want another man to ask me in this manner as a sign of respect.
Pretty much a loser sob story if I ever read one.

Part of me thinks this is some prank, but if it isn't, I'm thinking of just trashing this e-mail and moving on. I don't think I would even care to bother my wife with this garbage. She's been out of college for 10 years now, and I think she might be better off not knowing this guy still exists.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Ignore it and move on.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Delete and block.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM

777 posts, read 452,757 times
Maybe you can gently and indirectly feel out your wife with regard to whether she has any wishes for closure on any old relationships? If she can't think of anything, let it go and don't bother her with it.

But I lean toward it being a prank or scam.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 AM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Trust me, I was thinking of raging on him through e-mail, but the SOB story seriously caught me off guard. Who runs up a $10,000 credit card debt buying video games and anime as a college student?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-27-2018 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
Maybe you can gently and indirectly feel out your wife with regard to whether she has any wishes for closure on any old relationships? If she can't think of anything, let it go and don't bother her with it.

But I lean toward it being a prank or scam.
I agree that it's probably a prank, but the fact that he got the college location right, and knew details about my wife's family kind of made me think it could be legit.

My wife has mentioned she's had boyfriend's before, but like any normal person, I don't ask, don't tell (since I've had many girlfriends myself).

Old 02-27-2018, 11:14 AM

I have heard a few of these sorts of stories lately, makes me wonder if there's been an uptick in these maudlin "I need closure" requests used as a masquerade for getting back in touch.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM

One additional detail, part of why I'm tempted to even entertain this is because the guy claims he has suffered from long term depression because of my wife, and is about to lose his job because he can't concentrate on his work. So he thinks getting closure could "jump start" his life.

Man, this guy is a serious loser. I find it hard to believe someone could be this pathetic.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
One additional detail, part of why I'm tempted to even entertain this is because the guy claims he has suffered from long term depression because of my wife, and is about to lose his job because he can't concentrate on his work. So he thinks getting closure could "jump start" his life.

Man, this guy is a serious loser. I find it hard to believe someone could be this pathetic.
10000% total BS. Delete and block. Eff him for looping you into this.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
The part where he's asking your permission to contact your wife "as a sign of respect" is really weirding me out. Your wife is a fully functioning adult, and that he goes to her husband rather than just sending her a weepy inappropriate email is odd. Since it involves her, I wouldn't leave her out of the loop. Ask "hey, do you know a *name*? I got a weird email about you" and let her decide how to handle it.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-27-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships