Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finewbie View Post
Does it mean the couple are still cohabitants, don't get married even though they have children already?
OP, you need to give us more information. When I first read your opening post, I was going to ask: how old are they? 16? 20? 30? Now that you've established they're at least out of college, we still need to know more. Suddenly, another shoe drops: they have kids? Plural? They've been together two years, you say, but already have more than one child? How many kids? How did they manage to have two kids in two years? Their parents are supporting 4 or more people? In one bedroom, you said?? Do these two adults work? Are they saving for a downpayment on a home? They're living with parents, I take it, because they both work, and need someone to care for the kids? If the parents are ok with that, why would it "concern" you?

Come on, OP. Your query is meaningless without more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Does it mean the couple are still cohabitants, don't get married even though they have children already?
What is the nature of your question? What is it that "concerns" you? In this post, it sounds like you're asking a legal question. You'd have to review the laws in your state on common-law marriages, if there are any, or ask a lawyer. We can't help you there. But I can at least tell you that whether or not a couple has kids, has no bearing on their marital status. That's not how common-law marriage laws work, usually. But again--you need to ask a lawyer or research laws in your state, to check on that.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:15 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Is this unusual? They live together over 2 years already but haven't engaged yet, of course the youngsters has their own bedroom and bathroom. So far the atmosphere is still good though.
Why are you concerned, how does this affect you?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:41 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
They might be saving to buy a home, who knows? It's their business

Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
No, there isn't more to story. They are all college-educated and working, certainly can't afford to live in a SFH by themselves. Each parent only has one child. Maybe I should say "care" instead of "concern".
It's their personal choice and their reasons might be unknown to you.
In other countries/cultures adult kids often live with their parents, and not because they are uneducated, dependent or poor.
It seems that everyone is fine with their living arrangements, but you. Why do you "care"? In your mind, is that something illegal or immoral?

AND - if they are "close relatives" - why don't you just ask them about? We can only speculate.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM

77 posts, read 75,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you need to give us more information. When I first read your opening post, I was going to ask: how old are they? 16? 20? 30? Now that you've established they're at least out of college, we still need to know more. Suddenly, another shoe drops: they have kids? Plural? They've been together two years, you say, but already have more than one child? How many kids? How did they manage to have two kids in two years? Their parents are supporting 4 or more people? In one bedroom, you said?? Do these two adults work? Are they saving for a downpayment on a home? They're living with parents, I take it, because they both work, and need someone to care for the kids? If the parents are ok with that, why would it "concern" you?

Come on, OP. Your query is meaningless without more info.
Yes, I will offer more info. They are late 20s. They don't have any kid.
To answer Elaine, as a close relative, just hopes they conform to social norm. If you all think it's nothing particular, then we will tell the girl's parents they really don't need to worry at all.

Last edited by finewbie; 03-07-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
If you all think it's nothing particular, then we will tell the girl's parents they really don't need to worry at all.
What?? It is not your place to tell them to worry or not. Surely THEY know if they're worried or not. What do the opinions of strangers matter? Did they ASK if this is normal?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
To answer Elaine, as a close relative, just hopes they conform to social norm. If you all think it's nothing particular, then we will tell the girl's parents they really don't need to worry at all.
lol. okay.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
OK, it sounds like the girl's parents are concerned about the fact that the two have been together for 2 years, and there hasn't been an engagement announced. Whether or not they're living with his parents, or on their own, is irrelevant, then. You can tell the parents, that these days it's normal for a couple to take their time, before deciding to marry, and becoming engaged.

Is someone wondering whether it's normal to live with one set of parents, while unmarried? If so, we don't have enough info to say whether it's normal or not. Are they saving for a home downpayment? Or for a wedding, or other major future plans? Is he from an immigrant community of some sort, where it's normal to live with one's parents, until marriage? Is one of the parents ill or infirm, and in need of help around the house? We know nothing of these details.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:44 PM

77 posts, read 75,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, it sounds like the girl's parents are concerned about the fact that the two have been together for 2 years, and there hasn't been an engagement announced. Whether or not they're living with his parents, or on their own, is irrelevant, then. You can tell the parents, that these days it's normal for a couple to take their time, before deciding to marry, and becoming engaged.

Is someone wondering whether it's normal to live with one set of parents, while unmarried? If so, we don't have enough info to say whether it's normal or not. Are they saving for a home downpayment? Or for a wedding, or other major future plans? Is he from an immigrant community of some sort, where it's normal to live with one's parents, until marriage? Is one of the parents ill or infirm, and in need of help around the house? We know nothing of these details.
I really appreciate your feedback. I am not sure they save for a home downpayment but they do save. Yes they are American Born Asians. No any parents are ill or whatever, no any drama. Just wonder if it is social acceptable, since the girl stays with his parents for so long but is not engaged to her BF. If they live outside, then the girl's parents may not concern too much. So far they get along well with his parents, one time his mom said they just feel like adopting a girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships