Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,080,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
This is an insult. Do you not know the different between insulting someone and playful ribbing?
I do.

But PUA doesn't.

The INTENT of negging is to make the woman feel subtly knocked down a peg. That is the whole point. It is NOT to make her feel friendly and relaxed. It's supposed to be a shock to her system because she's gorgeous and used to being fawned over and blah blah. But you already know this.

It is intended to manipulate, not for two people to play and have fun.

As for your playful ribbing, it comes off just as bitingly nasty as my countered ascriptions here, I hate to say. Maybe it sounds different in person but from the things you say here, methinks you don't have much of a handle on "playful ribbing" either. Sorry.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,890,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I do.

But PUA doesn't.

The INTENT of negging is to make the woman feel subtly knocked down a peg. That is the whole point. It is NOT to make her feel friendly and relaxed. It's supposed to be a shock to her system because she's gorgeous and used to being fawned over and blah blah. But you already know this.

As for your playful ribbing, it comes off just as bitingly nasty as my countered ascriptions here, I hate to say. Maybe it sounds different in person but from the things you say here, methinks you don't have much of a handle on "playful ribbing" either. Sorry.
Or what women like (don't ask them?) ...or the difference between a distinguished gentleman and a d.canoe.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:17 PM

424 posts, read 237,332 times
Quote:
I do.

But PUA doesn't.

It is intended to manipulate, not for two people to play and have fun.

LOL I've never once playfully ribbed anyone in this forum. My purpose here is to be blunt and honest. Oftentimes, I intend to be nasty if the situation calls for it.

This is not a forum for flirting and playfulness. It's a forum for venting and trying to get the truth out there.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Or what women like (don't ask them?) ...or the difference between a distinguished gentleman and a d.canoe.
Are you implying that I'm a second user called "d canoe" or something like that? I assure you that I don't have any other handles here. Feel free to have one of the mods compare our IP addresses.

And, of course, it's easy to figure out what women like. Just look at trends and watch what women do. You do realize that people are not as unique as our culture tells them they are, right? If people thought so differently, psychology and advertising wouldn't be relevant, but yet they both work extremely well. If people functioned so differently and their bodies were so unique, then medicines wouldn't work. Medicines "generalize" too based on signs and symptoms.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:01 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinshasa View Post
Well why don't you give me a couple of suggestions on how to tease in a playful, friendly, fun way and I'll try them out and see if they come naturally to me. You never know, it might work.

Do you think it's manipulative to tease in such a way?
If you don’t know how to do it already, it will come of as fake and lame. Be yourself. Everyone I know who is good at flirting is a natural. And it started before they even knew what flirting was.

Be yourself. Forget about negging. Which is a terrible way of attempting to flirt by trying to insult women. It is not the same as actual flirting, which takes some innate ability to exectute.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you don’t know how to do it already, it will come of as fake and lame. Be yourself. Everyone I know who is good at flirting is a natural. And it started before they even knew what flirting was.

Be yourself. Forget about negging. Which is a terrible way of attempting to flirt by trying to insult women. It is not the same as actual flirting, which takes some innate ability to exectute.
Why does everyone seem to think that "negging" and "teasing" are the same thing? Have you ever known a person that jokes around a lot?

I leave many people in stitches with my teasing remarks (including and especially the person that I'm teasing). And then they tease me back. Then I respond with a witty remark (or I concede defeat). So on and so forth.

I think you all may be misinterpreting OP's goals.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,080,150 times
Quote:
Why does everyone seem to think that "negging" and "teasing" are the same thing? Have you ever known a person that jokes around a lot?

I leave many people in stitches with my teasing remarks (including and especially the person that I'm teasing). And then they tease me back. Then I respond with a witty remark (or I concede defeat). So on and so forth.

I don't think so, since the OP is to one who brought up PUA and negging.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how he was "carefully" attempting to describe this, including the word "friendly" and the whole bit.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,960,941 times
Quote:

They aren’t. Apparently the OP thinks they are since he referred to it directly. I like teasing, I’m a big flirt. But as you can see below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinshasa View Post
Oh yes I've heard of negging. That's pretty much what I'm talking about. Playful, friendly teasing.
If you don’t know the difference between teasing and negging, you can’t be taught. And it is extraordinarily hard to teach someone to tease sooooo........

Old 03-17-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
They aren’t. Apparently the OP thinks they are since he referred to it directly. I like teasing, I’m a big flirt. But as you can see below:

If you don’t know the difference between teasing and negging, you can’t be taught. And it is extraordinarily hard to teach someone to tease sooooo........
Gotcha. I guess I missed that post.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
I don't think so, since the OP is to one who brought up PUA and negging.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how he was "carefully" attempting to describe this, including the word "friendly" and the whole bit.
From this post:

Quote:
Quick question for the women here. What would you say is a fun, friendly, playful way to tease a woman when on a date or when just speaking with them? I'm 23 and usually I tend to give the impression of being serious, and so I'm not normally good at this type of stuff.

So how do you think I should tease women when on a date, or talking to them in general?
It seems like he's just a serious guy that's trying to figure out how to flirt. It doesn't sound like he knows how to talk to women. So he's looking for some ideas.

Honestly, even if he does try "negging" (which I agree doesn't work, by the way) and bothers a few women, so what? It's a learning experience that will eventually lead him in the right direction.

When I was just trying things out (around 17 or 18 years old), I remember I "negged" a girl at my part-time Best Buy job (this was around 2004) about her teeth. I can't remember exactly what I said, but it was pretty bad and she got really mad at me. But it taught me to basically not poke fun at a girl's appearance (and then, later, I learned that I could do this under the right circumstances).

In any event, my point is that OP just needs to start doing it and practice. He'll offend a people at first, but then he'll figure it out and adopt it into his personality (if he so chooses).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships