Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 5,926 times

Advertisements

I was born with a bunch of birth defects. Most of which have required surgery to fix. I have scars from surgeries on my heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, intestines, one on my shoulder unrelated to my health problems (from a childhood sports injury), and one on my leg and neck from veins grafts I needed for other organs. Plus little scars from chest tubes, biopsies, and little things like that. Most of these scars are blatantly obvious. I never thought about it before but now this guy likes me and I kinda like him too but I'm self conscious about my scars and about if guys are comfortable dating somebody who has all these problems. Although I have to say, considering all the issues I have had, I am in pretty good health. That is by no means the end of all my surgeries but I'm a lot better than I was even a few years ago. (I'm 24). So my question is, would all the scars or the health problems turn you guys off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
It will bother some and not others, like a lot of things. That's something you'd have to navigate with each individual you choose to take interest in or date.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:32 PM

282 posts, read 236,380 times
Not all that much. Not to mention there's a wide range of techniques and products to lessen the appearance of scars if it bothers you (or them) so much.
The birth defects thing I would be more concerned about. Not that it's an issue itself, but because I want kids, I don't want them to have genetic defects.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:36 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcde1234 View Post
I was born with a bunch of birth defects. Most of which have required surgery to fix. I have scars from surgeries on my heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, intestines, one on my shoulder unrelated to my health problems (from a childhood sports injury), and one on my leg and neck from veins grafts I needed for other organs. Plus little scars from chest tubes, biopsies, and little things like that. Most of these scars are blatantly obvious. I never thought about it before but now this guy likes me and I kinda like him too but I'm self conscious about my scars and about if guys are comfortable dating somebody who has all these problems. Although I have to say, considering all the issues I have had, I am in pretty good health. That is by no means the end of all my surgeries but I'm a lot better than I was even a few years ago. (I'm 24). So my question is, would all the scars or the health problems turn you guys off?
If you already like this guy, and he likes you, then surely he knows about your condition and your surgeries and is still around? It doesn't really matter if guys in general care--the guy who's right for you will take you as you are.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you already like this guy, and he likes you, then surely he knows about your condition and your surgeries and is still around? It doesn't really matter if guys in general care--the guy who's right for you will take you as you are.

This.

Scars just show how strong and brave you are...

Old 03-24-2018, 01:09 PM

524 posts, read 521,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcde1234 View Post
I'm self conscious about my scars...
That's it in a nutshell. If a man really likes you he will overlook your scars and health issues. I've seen men date women in wheelchairs, with one leg, no arms, you name it.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,505 times
If I liked you before I knew about your health problems, I would like you after.

The scars are no big deal. Depending, it might even be sexy and badass, like a natural tattoo. I personally believe there's an evolutionary reason scars are attractive; they demonstrate excellent healing potential when it comes to potentially fatal wounds.

You're still alive, rock it.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Most incisions sewed up by surgeons these days are pretty neat, not ugly.
Probably more interesting than worrisome.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
It would bother me but if I liked you I would soon get past it. I had a gf with scars and I just accepted it.
She warned me about them beforehand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Old 03-25-2018, 06:39 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
You’re probably really cool if he likes you already. The less you worry about it, the less of an issue it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships