Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
" Generally speaking, an average straight man will have to send 25 messages to women his own age procure one response, while the average straight woman will have to send 5 messages."

Likelihood Of Getting A Response In Online Dating: Men Vs. Women - Business Insider

Interesting fast facts. There is quite a disparity.
I assume the stats are similar for "old school dating." Where a man would have to approach 25 different women to get 1 response or acceptance to dinner.

This is why I tell people that dating is "not like the movies." It takes a lot of patience in persistence. For example, I've swiped thousands of profiles to finally meet 1 where we've worked out. Was it worth it? Yes. Was it easy? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I love online dating and have had a lot of great experiences on it, but I dont get why people join these apps just to chat and never actually meet up. It's very dishonest and wastes people's time

Because of that I now have a "two strike" rule. If someone doesn't wanna meet up two times, I just stop messaging them
Constant attention I suppose.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
" Generally speaking, an average straight man will have to send 25 messages to women his own age procure one response, while the average straight woman will have to send 5 messages."

Likelihood Of Getting A Response In Online Dating: Men Vs. Women - Business Insider

The thread isn't about the initial approach, it's about the people who chat with you making you think you might actually have a chance.

Anyone, man or woman, who gets a message on OLD, and responds as if they might be interested in meeting when they have no interest in doing so from the beginning, is just messing with people.

That's not to say someone can't start to engage in a conversation and quickly realize the initiator just isn't for them. But faking interest in the beginning when you know you have none is just mean.

And if men are responding a lot more than women, it's not a stretch to imagine that men engage in conversation with women they really have no interest in.

So, basically, you made my point. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
The thread isn't about the initial approach, it's about the people who chat with you making you think you might actually have a chance.
It's the same difference. Nothing is for sure until you're on a 3rd or 4th date. Any point before that is a toss up. The vast majority of people don't get past the 1st date.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:

A response like "Hey, sup, we have zip in common and I'm old enough to be your dad but here's my D pic"?

Women have just as much difficulty getting QUALITY responses.

Guys will bombard women they are in no way a match with. A couple convos later the woman realizes this and starts the slow fade. She may have started out hopeful of meeting. It is not necessarily that people like to mess with one another. I am sure that happens but it is doubtful that that this is MOST women's MO, like some sort of pre-planned thing.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:03 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It's the same difference. Nothing is for sure until you're on a 3rd or 4th date. Any point before that is a toss up. The vast majority of people don't get past the 1st date.
Not the same. If you're chatting as if you intend to meet up at some point, but you never had any intention of doing so, you're messing with the other person.

I had plenty of dates that disappeared after 1-3 meetings, or I expressed to them I wasn't interested in seeing them again. But I never continued to engage in conversation with someone I had no interest in meeting in person period. That's just wrong and a waste of time.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
I love online dating and have had a lot of great experiences on it, but I dont get why people join these apps just to chat and never actually meet up. It's very dishonest and wastes people's time

Because of that I now have a "two strike" rule. If someone doesn't wanna meet up two times, I just stop messaging them
That isn't just women. There are plenty of men who pull this nonsense as well. Some people are just liars and flakes. To me, it is hard to get excited about someone you don't know enough to care about, I guess.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:32 PM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Ahh , any so called stats are crock at the end of the day.
Just read any singles forum or talk to girls you meet, just look around. In the long run there's just as many women that get absolutely nowhere often after years and years, as any guy.
2 million dates mean nothing , all that does is waste most peoples time male or female and adds up to nothing in the end , just frustration and burn out.

l was only on one a few mths but l met to me the picks of the pretty shytty crop , but even they'd all had nothing but bs , no relationship or marriage , not even close, lots of burn out though.

The chat thing yeah , dunno , l only bothered with a few very special ladies , l'd hoped , talked and called and met 2, the others it wasn't worth worrying about in the end.
Sounds like both end up talking to lots and lots of frogs though.

l noticed a lot on there probably just out for a bit of ego stroking too.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:33 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:

They're using it for attention, validation with the feint hope of finding the guy of their dreams on there which the average Joe's sending them a hundred messages a day aren't.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
As a woman when I was doing OLD if a guy sent me a message I always responded even if it was just to say that I didn't think we would be a good match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships