Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times

Advertisements

Question for the community:
Talking to someone on a dating site. Asked him a question about himself, nothing too deeply personal. His response was kind of awkward, followed by "Is this the right answer?"

It kind of rubbed me the wrong way because it sounds like this person is trying to guess what response would be best instead of giving his authentic opinion. Am I overthinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
They were trying to be funny, and their sense of humor doesn't align with yours. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't a sincere question.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
How about providing the specific question and answer for context?

Is that the right question...

Old 04-19-2018, 06:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Aww, poor dude. Maybe he just wasn't sure WHAT she was asking. For instance, "tell me about yourself" or something vague like this is hard to answer...because where do you start? Or...what is the person looking for? Info on your deepest insights? Your hobbies? Your preference for ketchup v. mayo on french fries?

So what was the question he was asked?

Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Maybe being funny? Fell flat.

Maybe being sarcastic? Doesn't often translate so early on.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:43 PM

814 posts, read 760,393 times
He prolly thought it was some kinda sh*t test.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They were trying to be funny, and their sense of humor doesn't align with yours. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't a sincere question.
This. If I were you, OP, I'd have responded something like, "Is that a joke", or "haha" followed by a comment on the answer.

Situations like this are why emojis were invented, btw.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Am I overthinking this?
Probably, yes

Old 04-20-2018, 01:13 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Ask a specific question you will get a specific answer, like how tall are you? are you married? what color are your eyes.

As a general question and you are going to get a more general answer, like What are you political leanings?

Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 AM

534 posts, read 489,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Question for the community:
Talking to someone on a dating site. Asked him a question about himself, nothing too deeply personal. His response was kind of awkward, followed by "Is this the right answer?"

It kind of rubbed me the wrong way because it sounds like this person is trying to guess what response would be best instead of giving his authentic opinion. Am I overthinking this?
I don't think he was trying to guess the right response, and his answer may very well have been authentic. Without knowing what your query actually was, and it's irrelevant anyway, but I would say that the your query didn't resonate with him for some reason. Regardless of your intentions, it may have felt as if you were asking for informational data-gathering reasons, rather than just wanting to get to know him or asking out of genuine interest. His "Is this the right answer?" could have also been a dryly humorous attempt to not express that he really didn't resonate with the query. Maybe he just doesn't like emotional intimacy and so he's already setting the ground for being hard to get to know. Who can really say, except him?

I don't think you're overthinking it, but I think you should pay more attention to your feeling of "being rubbed the wrong way" and not trivialize it by thinking you might be overthinking. Wondering if you're overthinking indicates you're trying to ignore or transcend the gut feeling that you aren't really resonating with him, probably because you wish you did, because you want a great relationship. Focus on that (the great relationship you want) and don't be afraid to let go of anybody whom your gut says isn't that person. The "red flags" that most people see in hindsight are always there from the very beginning! And a red flag is in no way a judgement on the other person, that anything is wrong with them...a red flag is simply telling you stop and reassess about how this situation is aligning with your ultimate goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships