Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Just read through the thread.

I agree with some already posted... I think divorce is a viable option. This isn't just being unhappy or unsatisfied with life together but hating what it has become. There are no kids....

I was about to say that you need to talk and express how you feel to him... but it sounds like you are past that point... right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:52 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Contact the Masterson Institute in New York and ask for a therapist near you. You may have to travel miles from home, but you're going to want someone well-versed in NPD to guide you through a process of becoming healthier and eventually disentangling from what is unhealthy.
I don't want to jump to conclusions that he has NPD for sure, but what you're describing is extreme behavior. A good, trained therapist can help you figure this out.
A lot of your own personal work will need to be done (grief work) and you may want to get some insight from a book such as Harville Hendrix's Getting the Love You Want
It's a "guide for couples", but forget that part. Do this on your own.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Just read through the thread.

I agree with some already posted... I think divorce is a viable option. This isn't just being unhappy or unsatisfied with life together but hating what it has become. There are no kids....

I was about to say that you need to talk and express how you feel to him... but it sounds like you are past that point... right?
Yes.

He will not listen to me or consider my feelings. He gets angry and defensive. I cannot talk to him about it.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Contact the Masterson Institute in New York and ask for a therapist near you. You may have to travel miles from home, but you're going to want someone well-versed in NPD to guide you through a process of becoming healthier and eventually disentangling from what is unhealthy.
I don't want to jump to conclusions that he has NPD for sure, but what you're describing is extreme behavior. A good, trained therapist can help you figure this out.
A lot of your own personal work will need to be done (grief work) and you may want to get some insight from a book such as Harville Hendrix's Getting the Love You Want
It's a "guide for couples", but forget that part. Do this on your own.
I will do that. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It means that I enjoy being alone and having my solitude but also, I enjoy having someone around too. I grew up an only child with no close family and frequent moves that resulted in constant loss of friends. My brutal work schedule makes friendships difficult to maintain. Even though I am an introvert by nature, I still enjoy interacting with people from time to time. Other than the people I work with I would have very little human interaction if I lived alone.
My life and schedule (and personality type) mirror what you have described.

Last fall I left a 25-year marriage because my psychologist asked me which would be worse, divorce or mental illness, and I paused. That's when I knew I needed a change ... because mental illness (or suicide) should NOT be an option. But I was still looking for ways to maintain the life that others were accustomed to me living... a life that was BAD for me.

You should not prefer to be a victim. You are actually victimizing yourself by staying for this abuse. Because it IS abuse.

When you finally DO get away from him, you will be surprised at how your life opens up. There are possiblities you cannot consider because of your codependency. If you would trust yourself to find other opportunities for social interaction, you could get yourself out of this mess.

But I don't think you will.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
I will do that. Thank you.
Good luck! It's not the easiest road, for sure, but I guarantee you will be joyful at the other end of this and you will have no regrets.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
It means that I enjoy being alone and having my solitude but also, I enjoy having someone around too. I grew up an only child with no close family and frequent moves that resulted in constant loss of friends. My brutal work schedule makes friendships difficult to maintain. Even though I am an introvert by nature, I still enjoy interacting with people from time to time. Other than the people I work with I would have very little human interaction if I lived alone.
Can you switch your work hours so that you work in the evenings? Or take a several week vacation away from your husband so that you can "regain your strength" and sense of self (at least a little)?

Good luck to you.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My life and schedule (and personality type) mirror what you have described.

Last fall I left a 25-year marriage because my psychologist asked me which would be worse, divorce or mental illness, and I paused. That's when I knew I needed a change ... because mental illness (or suicide) should NOT be an option. But I was still looking for ways to maintain the life that others were accustomed to me living... a life that was BAD for me.

You should not prefer to be a victim. You are actually victimizing yourself by staying for this abuse. Because it IS abuse.

When you finally DO get away from him, you will be surprised at how your life opens up. There are possiblities you cannot consider because of your codependency. If you would trust yourself to find other opportunities for social interaction, you could get yourself out of this mess.

But I don't think you will.
I will think about it seriously. I really want a normal life. A life where you have friends, good times, enjoy life. I remember living that way once, but I just assumed that when you got older, things changed. But I see people I know, my age, approximately, having fun, enjoying life. So It makes me think about how my life could be.

I am very much a person who thrives on loving someone and being good to them. I like to be appreciated, which I NEVER am now. No matter what I do, it is criticized. Not in a "mean" way, but criticized never the less. It is soul-crushing to me.

THanks to all for the advice and concern. I am taking it all into consideration. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep.

Wonder what "I don't do well alone ..." means.
Yes, compared to how well she is doing with her husband.

20, you've got to make the leap. Take care of YOU.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
When I finally got away from my husband, I heard something in one of the Al-Anon rooms that stuck with me:

"If you're always gonna do what you always did, then you're always gonna get what you always got."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships