Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymiall View Post
Well i want to help. I want to see both of us successful. He told me during a fight that people would know i left him because he was broke. And that all i want is money. Totally not true. I’ve spent SO much money helping him. But he said he will make sure people know my sick motivation if i leave. It truly isn’t about money. It’s about the complete anger and dispute of my help.

Financial abuse, like other forms of abuse, can manifest in various ways.

First off, you need to get something through your head: there is nothing wrong with wanting both of you to be successful, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to help out toward that goal.

But those coins have another side, one where there IS something wrong with someone allowing you to foot the bill in order that they are free to spend "their" money as they see fit.

I didn't bother quoting your first post, just the one above -- because it tells you everything you need to know.

He threatened you. Pay close attention to this, I'll say it again.

He... threatened... you. His threat is only about shaming you publicly, but he threatened to do so if you dare to leave him, that "people would know" why you really did it.

What kind of relationship is that? I don't care what he's like the rest of the time, it's during fights when our tempers are flaring we often get a good look into someone's character, for better or worse.

So you're questioning whether or not you should stick with a relationship with a man who has threatened to shame and humiliate you (or to at least attempt it) if you leave.

I only have your side of the situation to go on, but even without all the rest of it, THIS alone would be enough to tell me... well, let me put it differently, more directly:

In doing this, he told YOU precisely what he thinks of you. He's already told you.

You have all the answer you need: yes, you're being financially abused, and further, it won't stop. This is his financial character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Move.

Quit acting like a fool.

That's about it.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
How many times are you going to ask whether to leave this guy? How many times are you going to ask people to get on board with agreeing that you're being treated badly, that this guy is a bad person and so on? Have you asked yourself what you're getting out of this? Do you feel the need to be the person who is suffering as it earns you attention? Do you feel you deserve this? Or what?

Yes, he has issues but those aren't your concern. Your own desire to stay in this situation is your concern. There is something much deeper going on here. Obviously you need to leave him, that is a given, but you also need to immediately seek counseling, or you will continue to seek relationships like this one.

If this were the first time I would feel differently. People do fall victim to abuse. But you know how many times similar things have happened and that you have elected to stay. There are reasons. Your therapist can help you uncover them.

There are none of the usual reasons for needing to stay - kids, married and he would get your assets, can't support yourself. So you are electing to stay. What are you getting out of repeatedly asking people to tell you yes, you're being abused or yes, he's wrong or no, this situation isn't okay, etc.? Over and over?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 10,425 times
But what if your partner had another house, bills, cable for the place she brought into the relationship and you stay there as well when you go with her to visit her family. At least 10 days a month...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I might be him in my relationship. I own our house, so I pay all the bills related to that house (mortgage, electric, water, tv, internet, etc). My fiancé pays for most meals out as his contribution to our home.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
But what if your partner had another house, bills, cable for the place she brought into the relationship and you stay there as well when you go with her to visit her family. At least 10 days a month...
Then you no longer stay there, as you have broken up. Luckily, you can support yourself so you do not have to stay there.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
What's that got to do with the price of eggs in China?
If you had left him and were living in your own house, which is where you should have been all the time you've been on this board, he wouldn't be spending any time there or visiting your family

Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Don't worry about what others have to say about you because at the end of the day what they say will not make a difference in your life.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:55 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you're seeing a dilemma here. Move back to your place. Leave him to his own devices. He's not your problem. You're entitled to peace of mind, personal safety, and the absence of threats in your life. There are way better guys out there. The sooner you liberate yourself from this one, the sooner you can begin looking for a great guy who doesn't present issues like this.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I’ve been living with my “husband” for the past 3 years. We never officially got married. I have begged. But he keeps delaying.
This is not what you said on one of your other threads, recently:

//www.city-data.com/forum/51882441-post16.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymiall;
I am his wife. I’m Not a girlfriend. And he did get presents with my son, but we did activities with my son and i paid. And brunch ? I paid too.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's that got to do with the price of eggs in China?
If you had left him and were living in your own house, which is where you should have been all the time you've been on this board, he wouldn't be spending any time there or visiting your family
This. There is no dilemma here, OP. Just walk away, back to your own place. Easy, peasy. If he harasses you and stalks you, call the police. Get on with your life, for heavcn's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships