Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,663,423 times

Advertisements

I have a friend/co-worker that needs to read this book and educate herself, even if it came out about 10 years ago.

This woman who is a friend, and a co-worker, is bending over backwards and forwards to convince herself that this guy she just "knows" is the love of her life is going to marry her, when in fact, it is so obvious that he has very little serious interest in her at all (other than convenient hook-ups, etc.).

I'm tired of hearing about the un-returned phone calls and texts, the excuses he gives her for why he is not present or available to see her, and basically the "unrequited" feelings and love that my friend has to endure from someone that is, obviously to everyone else, just not there for her in return. How do other's cope with friends in this situation without insulting them too much or seriously hurting their feelings? Do you just let them find out the painful truth on their own? Give them a copy of "He's Just Not That Into You" ?

We are in our middle years, and I realize it's lonely "out there". But, I'm losing my patience and about to just be probably too overly blunt about the whole thing. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 PM

328 posts, read 574,054 times
Just support her and understand that its more about her own self-esteem and desire (or desperation) for love than it is about her "love" for this guy. Eventually it will dissipate (with or without her input) and she will definitely need a friend at that point.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Do you just let them find out the painful truth on their own?
Yes.

NOTHING you can say will change her mind. Some people don't learn until they learn the hard way.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,738,207 times
I just tell them I'm not interested in hearing about it anymore and separate myself if they just refuse to respect that.

If they really need to hear the truth, I let them have it.

I'm not the type to beat around the bush. With this kind of stuff anyway.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I just tell them I'm not interested in hearing about it anymore and separate myself if they just refuse to respect that.

If they really need to hear the truth, I let them have it.

I'm not the type to beat around the bush. With this kind of stuff anyway.
Ditto this - time is too precious to listen to someone pining over another who has no serious intentions with them.

That book was a game changer for me, because my momma never told me 'you better shop around' or any other dating advice. It came out right around the time I was freshly divorced and dating online in its earliest phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships