Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Sounds about right.
Again...in many states, still cheatimg. It can affect the divorce in her favor. It baffles me that people don’t know this. Until you are not married, legally, you’re married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Why is only "part of you" happy that he's moved on?

Honestly, I'm surprised that during the writing of this post you didn't realize how odd it is to be upset that he's moved on when you're the one who's divorcing him.

Why is it so bothersome to you that he's not unhappy? It seems like you don't necessarily even want a divorce, you just want to see him in pain.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-12-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Again...in many states, still cheatimg. It can affect the divorce in her favor. It baffles me that people don’t know this. Until you are not married, legally, you’re married.

She said they were in a no fault state.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
As I understand it, that usually applies to the one who has asked for the divorce, not the one who is being left.

If you ask for a divorce and have an ongoing relationship during that time, the court takes that into account.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM

50,313 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This

Guy I work with found out his wife was banging half the company. He kept records etc, even had pictures and all of it meant jack and squat.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,578 times
Quote:
Doesn’t matter. It only matters if your state doesn’t even have fault grounds and it is not even possible to file fault. Otherwise, she could potentially change her filing to fault. Most of them still have that, and on the flip side, unless I am wrong, every state is “no fault” because they all offer it as an option. Doesn’t at all mean she can’t change the filing to fault.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Sounds about right.
Quote:
You can no longer sue for alienation of affection in a state that passed a no-fault divorce law, OP.
If you state is a no fault divorce state, the affair will have no effect on the division of marital assets, unless he has been diverting martial assets to his extra-marital relationship, and a person seeking divorce is not permitted to allege a fault-based ground (e.g. adultery, abandonment or cruelty).
In a "no fault" state, fault can be considered by a court in order to make a disproportionate award of assets. But generally speaking, it takes more than an affair for such an award.

OP, get over it, and move on.

BTW: Most of developed countries have decriminalized adultery. Only people in UK and US still generally expect total sexual fidelity from their spouses. Sex outside of marriage in these cultures is viewed by most people as sordid if not sinful.
Actually only countries governed by Islamic law, including Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Somalia, strictly prohibit adultery.

Adultery is still illegal in 20 states in the US, typically as a misdemeanor. But in several states, including Idaho, Massachusetts and Michigan, it is a felony. Prosecutions are rare, and usually involve just a fine.

Last edited by elnina; 06-12-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
You filed for divorce so he's not obligated to tell you who he is sleeping with.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Doesn’t matter. It only matters if your state doesn’t even have fault grounds and it is not even possible to file fault. Otherwise, she could potentially change her filing to fault. Most of them still have that, and on the flip side, unless I am wrong, every state is “no fault” because they all offer it as an option. Doesn’t at all mean she can’t change the filing to fault.

That would never fly. It would be laughed out. The "fault" occurred after the filing? Come on.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 AM

777 posts, read 452,757 times
Quote:
Worried about your 50%, eh? Ugh. Personally, I hope he got the suite.
If they did indeed agree not to make any major purchases, she has every right to be upset over him spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a fling.

It's called dissipation of marital assets, and the courts frown on that kind of thing.

Why is she wrong to expect him to abide by what they've agreed to already?

I don't think he's necessarily in the wrong for finding a new lover... If it all happened AFTER she asked for the divorce. I rather doubt that though. Odds are, it was already an emotional affair at best.... or maybe they'd already hooked up on the business trip she had where he supposedly stayed home playing Pokémon Go.... Think about it. Flying across the country and spending a ton of money on a luxury hotel doesn't usually happen when people have only been chatting on FB for a couple weeks or so. There's usually quite a bit more of a "connection" before that happens.

Regardless, they agreed on no major purchases. It's a dick move for him to be spending money like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships