Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 07:41 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,086,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Well, I never argued that there aren't financial and legal benefits to marriage. I just don't believe that a marriage contract represents commitment. The love is what makes the commitment, not the contract. The contract is little more than complication.
The contract is what gives you a legal right to your love. Literally. You are not a blood relative. You are not anything - legally - to that person. Nothing. Not even if you share children. The children are something, any of her blood relatives are something, you are still nothing, and you don't seem to mind. She is also legally nothing to you. If that is little more than a complication to you, cool.

You cant force someone to see the forest, when they are blinded by a simple tree.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:42 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 393,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This is just Darwinian evolution. Women want strong men who can protect them and help them nurture their children. Men want young women who will give lots of healthy offspring.
Be careful. Science isn't exactly a popular notion in this thread. It's far to revealing of our true nature.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,145,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And it is a very real factor. But so too is the fact that as survival goes, our brain is actually our primary mechanism and has been beginning about 250,000 years ago. People think it is biology "v." the brain but our brain and in particular, HOW we think, including flexibility in viewing any situation, is a solid part of our biology. I don't know why people seem to overlook this.
I could argue that it is our culture that is THE factor.

How about the concept that technology has taken over from natural selection, and that technology and our society will drive our future evolution.

I argue that if we suddenly lost our technology we might slip into a cultural dark age that we might not survive. A sort of "Internet Winter." If our global economic trade disappeared we might be suddenly thrust back into Medieval times.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,145,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You are extraordinarily judgmental about material things (our Hondas are fantastic, BTW, incredibly reliable, sturdy, great gas mileage), but are trying to soften that inner knowledge by insisting that so are other people, but only women. It won't work because realistically you can see, in realtime, how untrue it is.

If you are shallow just own it. Your insistence sounds like when cheaters say "oh, everybody cheats" and how people who steal stuff say "oh, everybody steals SOMETHING once in a while, even if it is office supplies, if they say they don't steal they're just lying".
Crude people talk about things.
Average people talk about people.
Intellectuals talk about ideas.

Just noting that cars are things. I'd rather discuss ideas such as relationships. Or evolution...

Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
RJ_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
The contract is what gives you a legal right to your love.
I literally just laughed out loud when I read this. I can see it now. "Your honor, we have a marriage contract. I have a legal right to her love." "Very well" replies the judge. "Ma'am, I am ordering you, by the power vested in me to love your husband." "But I don't want to, I met someone else, I fell out of love with him, I want a new life, He's a jerk" she says. "Sorry ma'am, you signed a contract. You're required to love him."

The End. Nice little fairy tale.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I literally just laughed out loud when I read this. I can see it now. "Your honor, we have a marriage contract. I have a legal right to her love." "Very well" replies the judge. "Ma'am, I am ordering you, by the power vested in me to love your husband." "But I don't want to, I met someone else, I fell out of love with him, I want a new life, He's a jerk" she says. "Sorry ma'am, you signed a contract. You're required to love him."

The End. Nice little fairy tale.

I refuse to believe you are THAT witless, then again it might be folly on my part to say that, you just seemed much more intelligent than this post portrays you to be. I have no problem with our discussion being at 'the end'. Nighty night, hippy man. Sweet dreams.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:57 PM
RJ_

Quote:
I refuse to believe you are THAT witless
I'm not the one who stepped into fantasyland with this comment "The contract is what gives you a legal right to your love. Literally." There is absolutely nothing true about that comment. Nothing. Zero. But I'm the one who is witless?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one who stepped into fantasyland with this comment "The contract is what gives you a legal right to your love. Literally." There is absolutely nothing true about that comment. Nothing. Zero. But I'm the one who is witless?

According to the law there is, but its no sweat off my back if you want to believe otherwise, and you obviously do. Good for you.

Ill give you a little hint here, by 'your love', I wasn't referring to sex - I was referring to the human person that you love. As in, "Come sit, my love. Tell me of your day. I am fascinated by everything about you."

I'm sure you still wont get it if all I wrote about blood relatives missed the boat for you.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-30-2018, 08:01 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,427,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I just read the part where it said, that men are perceived to be much more attractive when photographed with a Bentley than with a Ford Fiesta.

I'm outa here. The nonsense meter just went full tilt.

But women will consider the Bentley guy first. Thinking the shortcomings he may have over the Ford guy, that the Bentley makes up for. Happens thousands of times a day. I drive a vehicle in between, so I get mixed messages.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 PM
RJ_

Quote:
According to the law there is
No, there isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships