Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

The OP doesn't have a relationship problem. She has an accounting problem. Or the relationship problem is secondary.

What the OP posts about finance does not add up, and OP has absolutely no discipline in holding her partner to his end.

Getting to the basics, I think OP wants her man no matter what the cost, and no matter what his imperfections are.

Getting to the bottom line, I see no resolution for this problem except for OP to quit posting, or listen to some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 02:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I am with you. Doesn't make sense. If she lives in a fixer upper with $900 a month heating bills, water heaters exploding monthly, walls falling down etc, it is time to dump that place and move into a new energy efficient house and cut her expenses in half.

I live in a newer $350k house on acreage in the country with four car garage that is even heated and A/C in the same area as her and i pay less than $2500 a month for EVERYTHING. That is taking into consideration almost $8k a year in taxes.

No wonder the guy is in sticker shock. I am not sure i know anyone even living in a brand new high end house paying that much monthly. Something doesn't add uo here.
I think it's mostly her talking out her @ss and exaggerating for a bit of effect because you're right, it really doesn't add up. She just guesses at a figure and rounds it up.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:13 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am still trying to picture a single mother, who has enough income to pay $4,000 to $4,500 (up to $6,000) a month on just housing. You have to have a much better paying job than 98% of the women that I know. Congrats on your great job!
I know! Last year she was making $13K per year as a bookkeeper. This year she seems to be making about $150K. Nice raise!

Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I am with you. Doesn't make sense. If she lives in a fixer upper with $900 a month heating bills, water heaters exploding monthly, walls falling down etc, it is time to dump that place and move into a new energy efficient house and cut her expenses in half.

I live in a newer $350k house on acreage in the country with four car garage that is even heated and A/C in the same area as her and i pay less than $2500 a month for EVERYTHING. That is taking into consideration almost $8k a year in taxes.

No wonder the guy is in sticker shock. I am not sure i know anyone even living in a brand new high end house paying that much monthly. Something doesn't add uo here.
While we might be in the same general area, the state matters. Maryland is pricier. I would also bet your house is not 5 bedrooms. The house is over 3,000 sq ft without counting the basement.

I could not afford to buy a new house. I would have needed a budget of $400-$550k. I did have to look for a foreclosure that needed work to stick to my $315k budget.

The “wall” that is getting rebuilt is an outside rock wall about 40’ long. Part of the housing costs is all the utilities including internet, phone and cable. My house is 4 levels with 2 heat pumps. And being older, the walls are not insulated the best. I am going to fix that when we get new siding. So yes for now, we have $900 a month heating bills. The a/c bills all summer are reasonable.

I really don’t ask him to pay for much. His contribution is less than 1/4th.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus, I don't get a $900 utility bill.

In Hawaii, we have the highest electricity costs, and even when running our A/C 24/7 our highest bill was $600.

Maryland is 13 cents per kilowatt, here is is 33 cents.
We have 4000 kilowatt months. I think I previously posted my electric usage in another thread when I first moved in and had sticker shock. I have insulated the attic and weather proofed the house. I also have replaced every appliance, light fixture and well pump. Only thing left is the hvac system.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I really don’t ask him to pay for much. His contribution is less than 1/4th.
Seems to me that 4 people in one household = 1/4 his cost and 3/4 your cost.

Anyway this topic is not progressing towards resolution. There doesn't appear to be any stone still unturned.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
OP has always had details that have never made sense when taken in to consideration with her previous posts. If asked why there is so many discrepancies between her posts she has just changed her “current” story to accommodate the new figures and findings.
It’s very difficult to take what they say seriously because at this point it all comes off as snipets of truth mixed with details that are meant to make herself seem succcessful and wholesome. Threads always end the same way as well.

TLDR: it’s hard to not take this poster as a story spinning fibber.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think it's mostly her talking out her @ss and exaggerating for a bit of effect because you're right, it really doesn't add up. She just guesses at a figure and rounds it up.
I gave the figure based on what my budget app tells me I spend in the housing category. You really don’t need to believe it. Regardless of the numbers, that is not the point of the thread. I already said it is not a money issue. It is definitely a relationship/ communication/ difference of opinion issue.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I know! Last year she was making $13K per year as a bookkeeper. This year she seems to be making about $150K. Nice raise!
For a week when my old company furloughed. Thankfully the next week I went back to a previous job where I made much better money. I also get monthly social security and child support which certainly helps.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM

I think it's going too far to accuse the OP of misrepresentation. My opinion is that she's just bad at personal finance and undisciplined in dealing with finances with her partner.

Sounds like a pretty nice house! Get that insulation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships