Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Maybe he is private but his business should be visible, otherwise how would he get all the contracts?

Lots of people with business like to stay private, for many reasons.
Also, he is an older guy - maybe not a fan of social media drama..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,141 times
I'm nowhere near 65 years old, but I miss the days where you had to get to know the person by interacting with them directly and were able to date without a background check. Good luck with your research.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
As a rule, I stay away from all long-distance relationships. I don't care of they are temporary working abroad, deployed, at an away business meeting, on a 3 month assignment or what. I stay away, period. If they are not currently, as in today, located a few miles from me and not leaving, then I pass. No exceptions. If you follow this rule, you will avoid most of the scammers.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
As a rule, I stay away from all long-distance relationships. I don't care of they are temporary working abroad, deployed, on a 3 month assignment or what. I stay away, period. If they are not currently, as in today, located a few miles from me and not leaving, then I pass. No exceptions. If you follow this rule, you will avoid most of the scammers.
100% agree. I would want to actually date that person and talk face to face. Emailing , texting or calling someone far away is not much promising and pretty much waste of time in my opinion. (except that person is just temporarily/short time away but normally lives in my area).

Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Well, he is just temporarily/short time away but normally does live in my area).

Talk about missing the obvious. I had not bothered checking Facebook
Not a lot on there but what is doesn't exactly match up , like, says he's the owner of the right kind of business but following that business name up shows a different owner with contact info in a different part of the US.
I'm beginning to wonder if he's just the "hired help"

Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
100% agree. I would want to actually date that person and talk face to face. Emailing , texting or calling someone far away is not much promising and pretty much waste of time in my opinion. (except that person is just temporarily/short time away but normally lives in my area).
A vacation or a sporatic trip away is one thing, but working away from home on a frequent basis is not going to be my kind of guy for various reasons.

But there are some women who like men who travel for work. Just like there are some single women who like married men. The distance ends up being something that works with their own quirks. They get a lot of space (and sometimes drama).

Old 08-20-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, he is just temporarily/short time away but normally does live in my area).

Talk about missing the obvious. I had not bothered checking Facebook
Not a lot on there but what is doesn't exactly match up , like, says he's the owner of the right kind of business but following that business name up shows a different owner with contact info in a different part of the US.
I'm beginning to wonder if he's just the "hired help"
This is why I never even start talking to these long-distance dudes over the internet. You're finding it hard to stop now and you're all confused.

I'd tell him to just contact me when he gets back. But you probably can't do that now because you already gave the impression that you buy his line. You should have never started talking to him.

Tell him you don't like the distance thing and that you don't want to talk until he back to your area. He will argue and have a little tantrum but tell him sorry, but you'll be there waiting when he gets back and to PLEASE tell you when he is home. Then don't answer him anymore until you hear those words.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This is why I never even start talking to these long-distance dudes over the internet. You're finding it hard to stop now and you're all confused.

I'd tell him to just contact me when he gets back. But you probably can't do that now because you already gave the impression that you buy his line. You should have never started talking to him.

Tell him you don't like the distance thing and that you don't want to talk until he back to your area. He will argue and have a little tantrum but tell him sorry, but you'll be there waiting when he gets back and to PLEASE tell you when he is home. Then don't answer him anymore until you hear those words.
LOL Did you miss me saying I'm the curious type?
I can't leave this hanging
I'm just going to have to ask questions and get explanations, though that ain't looking to good but
who knows, it may end up being that I'm not as smart as I think I am
If he's really a fraud to any degree watching him try to wriggle out of it could be the most interesting part of it all .

Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
LOL Did you miss me saying I'm the curious type?
I can't leave this hanging
I'm just going to have to ask questions and get explanations, though that ain't looking to good but
who knows, it may end up being that I'm not as smart as I think I am
If he's really a fraud to any degree watching him try to wriggle out of it could be the most interesting part of it all .
OK, you won't feel comfortable proceeding with these questions open, right? I mean if you hadn't researched a bit, that would be one thing, but you did what I consider reasonable checking and you were surprised by the void you found. So if I'm right that given where you are now you would be uncomfortable seeing this man, you have little to lose asking him why he's invisible on line. If there's a reasonable explanation and you approach this topic is a straight forward, curious way with something like "I find you engaging and so I did a little inquiring on line as I'd typically do and..........."I think you'd be giving him room to explain what is a pretty rare phenomenon.

I say this as someone who is pretty sensitive about privacy issues, for myself and others, but in 2018 I'd do a little checking if I was entering a new relationship.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Ever seen the TV show "Catfish"?
It's really not a question of whether you inquire or not. No matter what their answers are, it doesn't matter, you are hooked. It's a question of how emotionally invested YOU are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships