Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 992 times

Advertisements

In college have options in regards to females. This one girl I have been hitting it off with and we ended up hooking up. I feel like we are progressing towards a relationship, but that is not what I want. she sits next to me in class, constantly text me, we even hang out. So I am being reciprocal but she is the one initiating a lot. I am young and want to have fun still. She is the one that pursued me I feel like. I see people looking our way or staring at us in class. People know that something is going on. I want to have fun and fool around still and I think she is becoming too attached. I don't know the best way to break it down to her without causing issues.

Technically we are not in a relationship, but I feel that if I tell her I am not ready for a relationship it looks bad on me because she will tell all her friends which are in my class and I end up looking like the bad guy. Her friends know and other people have approached me about it, so people know. I like to keep things secret and private, but its not working. So if I want to fool around I will get a bad reputation in front of the other girls in my class. Part of the reason I am not as into her as well is because she is pretty moody and has pissed me off a couple of times. I am generally a chill guy, but she has a big personality, comes across as immature, and acts like a know it all. This has rubbed me the wrong way. What should I do?

Also what is the mature thing to say when people ask me what is going on between me and that girl? I

Last edited by lifeadvice12; 10-12-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 01:56 PM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
Communicate. Early and often. There's no magic spell that is going to let her know what you want and what your expectations are without you using your words. Be kind, and don't worry about gossip and what other people will think.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,484,585 times
I wish I was young and had young people problems.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,524,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Communicate. Early and often. There's no magic spell that is going to let her know what you want and what your expectations are without you using your words. Be kind, and don't worry about gossip and what other people will think.

Sho nuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I wish I was young and had young people problems.

No way do I wanna go through all the mess I went through back in college. No thank you

Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
OP, this sounds like an unusual situation. Who takes classes with a bunch of friends? Are these all people who you met through your program major? In most college classes, nobody notices what some couple (or non-couple) in the class is doing. How would they even know you're texting each other, or have a thing going on?

If she's not compatible with you, which "moody" and "immature" sounds like is the case, IDK, you don't have a lot of choices. Probably the best option is to tell her you're not looking for a relationship, and say you're not sure if she misread you. Something along those lines. She's in your class, so you can't ghost her or do a slow fade. You'll have to say something (or text something), there's no other way. Just find the least confrontational way of saying it. But you'll probably have to find someone else to "have fun" with, after that.

RE: the mature thing to say, if people ask, you could say you're not sure. You could say, it's a work in progress, or you're figuring it out. (IOW be vague) . But ideally, you'll talk to her sooner, rather than later, so few people will be asking, after she understands you're not on the same page with her and moves on. If people ask you what happened, after she's moved on, you can say anything: "we weren't on the same page", or "she was nice, but we didn't get along sometimes", "it didn't work out" is a good one--very neutral, and truthful.

OP, it sounds like you live in the middle of a soap opera, with all these people so interested in your status. It wasn't remotely like that, when I was in college.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-12-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 PM

553 posts, read 304,061 times
“Hooking up” I take to mean you had sex.

I don’t see anything wrong with casual sex if both partners know it’s casial with no strings attached prior to the deed.

Did you state that to her?

If you only want casual sex with her, tell her in person, and a gentle way to put it is by saying she’s a great girl but you are at the stage in your life you aren’t ready to commit to one person.

Yeah she will be hurt, maybe cry and tell her friends. But she should have asked you before sleeping with you if you wanted a relationship.

You can try all you want to stay private, but somehow things always manage to get out in college. Just don’t let it interfere with the bigger picture, your degree.

Before you have sex, it’s a good idea to tell the person that it’s only causal and doesn’t mean you want to commit.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:03 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,996,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeadvice12 View Post
In college have options in regards to females. This one girl I have been hitting it off with and we ended up hooking up. I feel like we are progressing towards a relationship, but that is not what I want. she sits next to me in class, constantly text me, we even hang out. So I am being reciprocal but she is the one initiating a lot. I am young and want to have fun still. She is the one that pursued me I feel like. I see people looking our way or staring at us in class. People know that something is going on. I want to have fun and fool around still and I think she is becoming too attached. I don't know the best way to break it down to her without causing issues.

Technically we are not in a relationship, but I feel that if I tell her I am not ready for a relationship it looks bad on me because she will tell all her friends which are in my class and I end up looking like the bad guy. Her friends know and other people have approached me about it, so people know. I like to keep things secret and private, but its not working. So if I want to fool around I will get a bad reputation in front of the other girls in my class. Part of the reason I am not as into her as well is because she is pretty moody and has pissed me off a couple of times. I am generally a chill guy, but she has a big personality, comes across as immature, and acts like a know it all. This has rubbed me the wrong way. What should I do?

Also what is the mature thing to say when people ask me what is going on between me and that girl? I
Your privacy is gone after you showed your privates to her.

If you want a ‘good reputation’ then stop hooking up.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Your privacy is gone after you showed your privates to her.

If you want a ‘good reputation’ then stop hooking up.

Whoa! Radical, man! Funny, funny man.

But yes, there's always that option.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:18 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,402,312 times
Quite being a sissy and tell her what you feel. And who cares what other people think.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, this sounds like an unusual situation. Who takes classes with a bunch of friends? Are these all people who you met through your program major? In most college classes, nobody notices what some couple (or non-couple) in the class is doing. How would they even know you're texting each other, or have a thing going on?

If she's not compatible with you, which "moody" and "immature" sounds like is the case, IDK, you don't have a lot of choices. Probably the best option is to tell her you're not looking for a relationship, and say you're not sure if she misread you. Something along those lines. She's in your class, so you can't ghost her or do a slow fade. You'll have to say something (or text something), there's no other way. Just find the least confrontational way of saying it. But you'll probably have to find someone else to "have fun" with, after that.

RE: the mature thing to say, if people ask, you could say you're not sure. You could say, it's a work in progress, or you're figuring it out. (IOW be vague) . But ideally, you'll talk to her sooner, rather than later, so few people will be asking, after she understands you're not on the same page with her and moves on. If people ask you what happened, after she's moved on, you can say anything: "we weren't on the same page", or "she was nice, but we didn't get along sometimes", "it didn't work out" is a good one--very neutral, and truthful.

OP, it sounds like you live in the middle of a soap opera, with all these people so interested in your status. It wasn't remotely like that, when I was in college.
my major is very selective and not a big class group. Probably around 60 people in the cohort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships