Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,604,347 times

Advertisements

In my high school and college years, I had some self esteem issues, and only years later realized just how many girls were 'into me' and obvious about it, but I was clueless...

Girls who invited me to their house/dorm/etc alone, one girl who said, when I mentioned another girl who was giving me mixed signals to "forget her, go out with me"...wow, was I clueless!

I'm just wondering if most people experienced that!

Disclaimer: I'm happily married and happy I ended up where I did, but it's amusing to me to think just how oblivious I was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
In my high school and college years, I had some self esteem issues, and only years later realized just how many girls were 'into me' and obvious about it, but I was clueless...

Girls who invited me to their house/dorm/etc alone, one girl who said, when I mentioned another girl who was giving me mixed signals to "forget her, go out with me"...wow, was I clueless!

I'm just wondering if most people experienced that!

Disclaimer: I'm happily married and happy I ended up where I did, but it's amusing to me to think just how oblivious I was!
I, too, was oblivious to signals.

I once had a guy offer to buy me a drink. My response? "Oh, thank you but I'm not thirsty." And he was totally cute!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,604,347 times
A couple were so obvious in hindsight.

The 'forget her, go out with me' girl...

-We had a class together, and she always asked if we could "work on our assignment" together, even if it wasn't a group project

-She called me over Christmas Break (our parents' homes were 10 minutes apart) because "my whole family is away for the weekend, and I'm bored" - I talked to her on the phone but I think she was hoping I'd come "keep her company"...

Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 AM

880 posts, read 533,030 times
I was a complete ugly duckling in high school and college. At my age now i question if guys are flirting or just being nice.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
Lots. I had zero idea. Only twenty or thirty years later did I suddenly sit up and say, "Ohhhhhhh. THAT'S what she meant."

Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Lots. I had zero idea. Only twenty or thirty years later did I suddenly sit up and say, "Ohhhhhhh. THAT'S what she meant."
With age comes wisdom, right?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,731,952 times
I'm oblivious on purpose these days.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,797,834 times
Just countless missed opportunities. Had an opportunity to go after a beautiful girl in college after her bf cheated on her. Had no balls and asked her gay best friend to help me. Nothing came of that, of course. She got back with the a-hole who cheated on her, married him, divorced him. Married another guy and had 2 beautiful kids in her early 40's. Could have been me. I blew it big time. Still connected to her on fb and see her beautiful family. Thats just one of the many, many missed opportunities. I look back and I really had it going on, yet had no idea and never felt confident or good enough. I ended up marrying the wrong woman and blew my shot at a family. I want a do over.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM

824 posts, read 706,986 times
everyone is sooo different but something positive to be said for becoming your own best friend first. There are no missed opportunities when you love the one you are with!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:56 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,035,266 times
I worked with a guy who was tall, handsome, and a former big deal college athlete. I had such a crush on him, but I felt someone like him would never be with short, round me. We chatted all day long about minor and major stuff, went out for lunch (just us, no one else got invited) and errands, like he would say, "Hey, I need some throw pillows, want to come along and help me pick some out?" A couple of times when we were chatting, he reached out absent mindedly as if to touch my face, but then hurriedly withdrew his hand as if he knew it wasn't appropriate. I'm not sure what fiction I told myself to account for that, but no way did I think he actually wanted to touch me!

He left my workplace after a couple of years and we lost touch. Cut to several years after that, when another former co-worker of ours forwarded a photo of this guy and his wife--who looked EXACTLY like me. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I'm glad it didn't go anywhere because I like my life now, but good grief, was I oblivious! And we had the best time together...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships