Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 09:40 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So, let's see:

There was a time when a man who slept with women he wasn't married to was called a

CAD.

(We don't want to get into what the women were called.)

Then there was a time when a man who slept with women he had no emotional connection to was called a

WOMANIZER.

(We don't want to get into what the women were called.)

Are you trying to tell me that today, waiting until you fall in love with someone to screw, is so abnormal that it has to have a special weird label?

I am not a prude (far from it) but I think in our grandparents' generation that would have been called things like

CAREFUL
RESPECTFUL
MORAL
SENSIBLE

but really, it wouldn't have occasioned any comment at all.
And there was a time when folks hardly batted an eye at burning witches...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not about "getting to know someone". It's about having an emotional connection with someone. Those two things aren't synonymous.
Right, and if you don't have that connection but have sex with them what is the label for that?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right, and if you don't have that connection but have sex with them what is the label for that?

Early stages of dating.

(If the romantic connection never forms it becomes either a FWB or FB situation, or just a ONS/one off, or periodic casual sex.)

Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
For a good chunk of people romantic emotional attachment won't form without the sex. The sex comes first. And a fair amount of people just want the sex, without the emotional attachment... and some, the opposite.
I have never considered this. So, I learned something new from this thread for sure. So...is it safe to assume that most people are NOT demisexual--by name or in practice? Is this why dating was such a nightmare for me? (Most lost interest if there was no sex after 2-3 dates).

Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I have never considered this. So, I learned something new from this thread for sure. So...is it safe to assume that most people are NOT demisexual--by name or in practice? Is this why dating was such a nightmare for me? (Most lost interest if there was no sex after 2-3 dates).

I don't know about most. For myself though, I am not demisexual. I do not form romantic emotional attachments to people I've not been physically intimate with. I can form friendship emotion connections with them, of course, but those feelings are different.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
For me, it's:

Intellectually stimulating conversation --> Curiosity/Interest --> Testing with innuendo or possibly even throwing down with pretty clear invitations to sex --> Sex --> If the sex is good, then I spend some time looking at them and evaluating them visually. Normally right after sex men look their absolute best in my eyes.

Then from that point....
> They fall in love fast and I spook.
> I fall in love fast and they spook.
> I didn't feel we were a very good match in bed or the sex wasn't great, and instantly, permanently friend-zone or ghost the guy.
> He wasn't that into me or just wanted a one time thing and he friend zones or ghosts me. (FZ if we share social circles, ghosts if not.)
> Neither of us acts too intense but we enjoy each other and continue to meet and have sex and spend time...could escalate into relationship or whatever. Might be a FWB for a while or a light relationship, might end up being more serious, who knows.

> The one and only time that both of us formed strong feelings for each other, it took me 6 months after we started having sex, to even get to that point. I mean the intense love feelings. Before that it was just, "Yeah, this is fun and I like you and I want to keep doing this" level emotion. After it was "Oh my god you are MAGICAL and you're the most amazing person" and we still cannot keep our hands off each other.

But feelings only appear after sex in my world, too. And even then, only sometimes, not remotely close to always. And more often the guy has "caught feels" than I, the woman, did, for that matter. Which also goes against the conventional wisdom that women are these emotional creatures and men can do casual sex with completely control and not get emotional about it. Yeah, not always, not so much.

EDIT: However it is worth mention~ I'm not religious (obviously) and never was and I have no moral qualms about sex without love or relationship, and do not feel that every connection should be an attempt at a lifelong bond. I do not consider a lifelong marriage to be The Gold Standard end all, be all of relationships. To me it is simply one valid choice among many valid choices.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I have always known guys who were good for 'one night stands'. I tried them a few times when I was in my 20s, and I was not able to do it.

I need to form an emotional bond with a girl before I experience sexual attraction to her.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:36 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Early stages of dating.

(If the romantic connection never forms it becomes either a FWB or FB situation, or just a ONS/one off, or periodic casual sex.)
lol and bs. If you label one you better label the other. Or we can go back to using the old terms. But you don't get to normalize casual sex while, it seems pathologizing those who do not desire casual sex.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
lol and bs. If you label one you better label the other. Or we can go back to using the old terms. But you don't get to normalize casual sex while, it seems pathologizing those who do not desire casual sex.
Interestingly (or not lol!) some people have done that reclaiming thing with one of the "old words" as in the s-word we can't type here because it'll be asterisked out...there is a book, "The Ethical S-word" that is quite popular in certain circles. It's a word I don't mind one bit and I use it for men and women both, if they are prolific lovers, amenable to casual sex, and especially if they are non-monogamous and non-fidelitious.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I think you're confused, because demisexuality is a sexuality. It has nothing to do with casual vs non casual sex.

But pretty much everyone's sex starts with the casual. People aren't born into long term committed relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Interestingly (or not lol!) some people have done that reclaiming thing with one of the "old words" as in the s-word we can't type here because it'll be asterisked out...there is a book, "The Ethical S-word" that is quite popular in certain circles. It's a word I don't mind one bit and I use it for men and women both, if they are prolific lovers, amenable to casual sex, and especially if they are non-monogamous and non-fidelitious.

That book must have sold millions. I see it on many a shelf!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships