Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
If he barks, you know he's not for you.
That, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Well the hike and dog park dates were fine in theory, it’s the behavior that occurred during (requesting we sit outside in the cold to accommodate the dog and then ditching me in the park). To clarify I LIKE dogs, I have one myself. It’s the whole “dog parent” thing and entitlement to make your pet the number one priority on date one, which I think I can’t do. But you maybe could. As someone else stated — it’s subjective. And I disagree, I think it’s exactly like bringing a child.
Seriously! There's a major level of cluelessness there.... Really, it's kind of unbelievable, except that we know you're not making it up.

IDK, maybe the next time a guy says he'll be bringing his dog, you should say, "Oh, great! My 4 cats have been cooped up indoors all day, and need some fresh air, too!" See how fast it takes him to go -- *click*

Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously! There's a major level of cluelessness there.... Really, it's kind of unbelievable, except that we know you're not making it up.
Well... to be honest, the OP should have expected to have to deal with "dog friendly" issues if when he told her straight out about going to a dog friendly place. That was her time to object.

I agree on leaving the OP hanging while they were at the park, but again, agreeing to the dog friendly dog sorta puts a tad of the onus on the OP.

I said "tad" here folks, just saying.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I think anyone who is asked if a dog can come on a date, says "yes", and then complains the dog on the date.... is unreasonable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well... to be honest, the OP should have expected to have to deal with "dog friendly" issues if when he told her straight out about going to a dog friendly place. That was her time to object.

I agree on leaving the OP hanging while they were at the park, but again, agreeing to the dog friendly dog sorta puts a tad of the onus on the OP.

I said "tad" here folks, just saying.
You're conflating two of her stories. In the first one, nothing was said about a dog-friendly place; he simply took her to sit outside in 50-degree weather, because of the dog. It was in the second instance, where her date announced there was a restaurant with a dog-friendly patio, which was ok, because the patio was covered and heated. That wasn't the problem. The problem was, that that guy talked about his dog the whole time.

And OP, if some guy were clueless enough to lose himself in a park with his dog, playing with the dog the whole time while sending you "cute" pix, constantly changing location, I would have quit and gone home after 1/2 hr. I would have texted, "Look, I can't find you. It's been 1/2 hr. already, you're a moving target, which doesn't help, so let's try again another time. I'm going home." (Optional addendum: "Enjoy your date with your dog.")

Old 11-02-2018, 11:53 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Well the hike and dog park dates were fine in theory, it’s the behavior that occurred during (requesting we sit outside in the cold to accommodate the dog and then ditching me in the park). To clarify I LIKE dogs, I have one myself. It’s the whole “dog parent” thing and entitlement to make your pet the number one priority on date one, which I think I can’t do. But you maybe could. As someone else stated — it’s subjective. And I disagree, I think it’s exactly like bringing a child.
How were the men on the date? Socially awkward? I keep on thinking they are either that or using the dogs to sleep with women if they had previous success using pets. It's like a made up story since you had three in a row bringing their dog.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:08 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're conflating two of her stories. In the first one, nothing was said about a dog-friendly place; he simply took her to sit outside in 50-degree weather, because of the dog. It was in the second instance, where her date announced there was a restaurant with a dog-friendly patio, which was ok, because the patio was covered and heated. That wasn't the problem. The problem was, that that guy talked about his dog the whole time.

And OP, if some guy were clueless enough to lose himself in a park with his dog, playing with the dog the whole time while sending you "cute" pix, constantly changing location, I would have quit and gone home after 1/2 hr. I would have texted, "Look, I can't find you. It's been 1/2 hr. already, you're a moving target, which doesn't help, so let's try again another time. I'm going home." (Optional addendum: "Enjoy your date with your dog.")
Whatever, guy number 2 then I guess was what I was talking about. I don't care enough about this to make a troubleshooting matrix to figure this out.

My original post I made earlier still stands. If a guy doesn't say anything upfront about it he's a douchbag for bringing a dog without mentioning it.

Basic manners of checking with someone ahead of time still apply, whether the chick is a hardcore dog lover or not.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I am a dog person but I have never taken one on a date. Ever. It just wouldn't occur to me. Maybe I would if the guy was also a dog person and specifically wanted to do something involving my dogs. But then it opens a bunch of new concerns. What if the guy has something wimpy and I bring my Doberman? Yikes. Or a tiny little Chi and I bring my Weimaraner?

I already know I can get along with any dog. If I said yes to a date, I probably wanted to get to know the guy. I do think some men probably get the dog to help them date! Maybe they are shy and have a hard time talking. Having a dog to talk about probably makes it easier for them. Or they love their dog so much that the person they date has to accept the dog too. Sort of a 2-fer deal!

Years ago I dated a guy my GSP absolutely hated. I have no doubt he would have gone after this guy and bitten him. My GSP was very protective of me and I know dogs are usually right. But this guy was determined to make my dog love him. Every time we went out he would save food for Spot and when we got back to my place he would feed him. Either through the fence or in his kennel. Then sit quietly and talk to him. At first Spot would not take food from him. It would sit in his kennel till my friend left. It took about 6 weeks but Spot finally came around. Spot and my BF were best buds until Spot died of old age.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 11-02-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 12:48 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe they are shy and have a hard time talking. Having a dog to talk about probably makes it easier for them. Or they love their dog so much that the person they date has to accept the dog too. Sort of a 2-fer deal!
I wonder what percentage of people would accept this on a first 2nd and third date.

This behavior reeks of codependency to me, which is a dealbreaker.
I wouldnt accept it, if you cant have a conversation without talking about a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships