Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:11 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Guess I disagree with being so upset by a date's dog being present. If a dog is that important to the person I want to know that. You can tell an awful lot about a person by watching them with an animal. Whether they get ridiculously sappy over every puppy or take their responsibilities for their own puppy seriously. Different thing.

Dogs happen to be important to me too, so I wouldn't demand that a date be dogless unless the dog was completely inappropriate where we planned to go. I'd probably suggest bringing mine along. Isn't the point of a date to get to know the other person? What motivates and interests them? If the dog hadn't been there and the person talked about nothing else or never let me get a word in, that would tell me a lot...the dog just happened to be the topic at hand. If the date had stranded me on the side of a road so they could drive home to let the dog in I might be a little miffed, but it wouldn't be because of the DOG, it would be because of their inability to plan ahead. I'm not going to let myself be jealous over a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 02:17 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Thanks everyone, I was wondering if I was just being crotchety. As much as I love animals, I can't stand the whole "dogs are children" mentality that seems to be more common now than ever.
NO, one should never bring their pets on the first date. This about it's a good way to meet women is crap. Thats for hanging out at the dog park, or walking your dog and meeting a female that also has a dog, gives you something to break the ice with.
The 3 you speak of, never. Not hiking, puppy, or park should be on an actual date. Unless you stated, let's meet at the dog park, let our dogs walk, and we can talk, THEN@ it's ok, both of you have decided. Someone bringing their dog on a date is creepy. They're insecure, and show where their priorities lie. I would have told you, let me go home first, spend 30 mins taking care of my pets, I'll meet you there. NOT EVER A GOOD IDEA!.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:18 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
I love dogs, but that's just weird. Why have to divide your attention? There's a time and place for everything. Did they bring their "Blankie" too?

Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,256 times
It’s weird. One guy’s doing it could just be unusual. Three is weird. It’s as though they are following a little script someone gave them.

I love my dachshunds and they are well behaved, but in the unlikely event I were to date again, they would stay home. I wouldn’t expect a man to tolerate them unless a relationship were to show signs of starting to become serious.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:15 PM

408 posts, read 430,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Guess I disagree with being so upset by a date's dog being present. If a dog is that important to the person I want to know that. You can tell an awful lot about a person by watching them with an animal. Whether they get ridiculously sappy over every puppy or take their responsibilities for their own puppy seriously. Different thing.

Dogs happen to be important to me too, so I wouldn't demand that a date be dogless unless the dog was completely inappropriate where we planned to go. I'd probably suggest bringing mine along. Isn't the point of a date to get to know the other person? What motivates and interests them? If the dog hadn't been there and the person talked about nothing else or never let me get a word in, that would tell me a lot...the dog just happened to be the topic at hand. If the date had stranded me on the side of a road so they could drive home to let the dog in I might be a little miffed, but it wouldn't be because of the DOG, it would be because of their inability to plan ahead. I'm not going to let myself be jealous over a dog.
Yeah that's fair. It's hard to explain though; if the guy brought the puppy, we petted it for a few minutes and then had a normal conversation over beers, I wouldn't have cared as much. I understand having a puppy and not wanting to leave it home alone. But it was like "Oh look Nelly is chewing the ball" "Nelly what are you looking at?" "Nelly can you sit and shake?" literally the whole time. Hard to have a conversation. His puppy is eight or nine months old, so it's almost full grown and not like he just got it. (I would understand more if it's a little puppy that he just got and is super excited about).

Old 11-01-2018, 03:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Yeah that's fair. It's hard to explain though; if the guy brought the puppy, we petted it for a few minutes and then had a normal conversation over beers, I wouldn't have cared as much. I understand having a puppy and not wanting to leave it home alone. But it was like "Oh look Nelly is chewing the ball" "Nelly what are you looking at?" "Nelly can you sit and shake?" literally the whole time. Hard to have a conversation. His puppy is eight or nine months old, so it's almost full grown and not like he just got it. (I would understand more if it's a little puppy that he just got and is super excited about).
He was probably just using it to deflect from the awkwardness of making conversation.

It’s not a great strategy.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:29 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Sounds weird to me. I'm not a big fan of dogs, and I wouldn't be too crazy about women (or should we say girls?) who put a premium on them.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Although you seldom hear of it, some people are into beastility. If I was a woman, I'd be leery of a man who brought his dog on dates.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Although you seldom hear of it, some people are into beastility. If I was a woman, I'd be leery of a man who brought his dog on dates.
OK, just WOW, How did you get there? OMG!!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
OK now I've officially seen it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships