Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:11 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,604,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I am sensing a lot of paranoia here.
I'm also sensing someone who probably shouldn't be in a relationship, frankly.
Exactly. What the hell are you so afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Let me introduce you to two handy friends: Bob and Weave. When they ask you something about yourself, that you don't want to answer - bob and weave. And start questioning them. Examples:

GF's parents: So ironpony, tell us about your career goals.
You: I have career goals, just like anyone else I suppose. What sort of career goals did you have when you were my age?

GF's parents: What kind of relationships did you have before you met our daughter?
You: Well, that's something I consider personal. Would you like to share your own relationship histories with me?

The best defense is offense. I know several people who are masters of this sort of conversation manipulation. The key, it seems to me, is to never allow the person to finish their answer before interjecting with another question. Before you know it, you've completely derailed the conversation and the person is trying to answer your questions accurately without having a chance to formulate and ask questions of you themselves.

Truth be told, I've seen and experienced this often enough to recognize when it's happening. The people who develop this approach usually have something to hide, so they pepper people with incessant personal and probing questions. Effectively, you never get a chance to question theirs. I personally don't like this type of conversation, but this is the best thing I could think of to address your concerns.
Then OP does not have the level of capability in navigating social situations to pull off any type of slick avoidance technique.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
When this happens to me. I make a joke, change the subject and focus on THEM.

ROLEPLAY:
Parents: so, ironpony, what do you want to do with your life?

You: oh...make several million dollars and retire to the Riviera. Of course, I've never been there but people say it's nice. Have you ever been there? I love hearing stories about places people have been. I bet you have some great stories. Where is your favorite vacation destination?

Or

Parents: tell us about your past.

You: well I'd love to do that but I believe that the present and future are what life is about. Everyone has good and bad memories. I bet you've had some amazing adventures in your life.....

Old 12-07-2018, 10:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Because the past is concrete and your future is only what you hope it will be. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, in their eyes.
Then learn to accentate the positive and eliminate the negative....

Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,077,131 times
Okay thanks. It's just I also quit my job recently, and feel like so inadequate compared to her family. I mean they got prestigious government jobs that have big houses compared to what I have. Not just her but her parents and uncle as well so far.

And I feel inadequate telling them I haven't a job, and the ones I had before, sucked and all.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. It's just I also quit my job recently, and feel like so inadequate compared to her family. I mean they got prestigious government jobs that have big houses compared to what I have. Not just her but her parents and uncle as well so far.

And I feel inadequate telling them I haven't a job, and the ones I had before, sucked and all.
I think you should just be honest with them and tell them all that stuff.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:22 PM

Yeah I guess if that's best. I should have waited to quit after Christmas maybe, to avoid saying I quit at all these get Christmas get togethers.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess if that's best. I should have waited to quit after Christmas maybe, to avoid saying I quit at all these get Christmas get togethers.
What you're trying to do, though, is avoid the truth of your life, which really needs to be faced and dealt with.

You aren't in the right mindset to be in a relationship, and the sooner your girlfriend's parents know this the better.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Oh really, cause we feel like aside from me having some job/career issues in my life, that the relationship is going pretty good so far. I just feel the relationship is a separate thing, and not to be related to other personal issues.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Oh really, cause we feel like aside from me having some job/career issues in my life, that the relationship is going pretty good so far. I just feel the relationship is a separate thing, and not to be related to other personal issues.
"We" who thinks that? You and your doctor?

Because relationship cannot be separate from your other issues. It all is tied together and it all affects the other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships