Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,512,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I am ashamed of lack of hobbies. I spent over 10 years mostly locking myself in my room everyday and not talking to anyone. I just feel really ashamed of it in the sense that I have no good past memories since I did that for so much of my life and feel that I have missed out a lot, and wasted so much time, and feel ashamed by it.
That's something that you're going to have to get right with in your own mind--you did what you did and you are how you are. You don't have to confess everything to strangers, but getting to know you questions aren't uncommon, especially when you're meeting an SO's family. You need to be able to make conversation that you're comfortable with without having a panic attack. Anticipate the questions you get asked and have a script prepared for when they come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,940,750 times
I am sensing a lot of paranoia here.
I'm also sensing someone who probably shouldn't be in a relationship, frankly.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,075,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I am sensing a lot of paranoia here.
I'm also sensing someone who probably shouldn't be in a relationship, frankly.

We've been saying this for years.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,940,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We've been saying this for years.

I mean, unless the g/f's parents are waterboarding the OP, I really don't see what the issue is.
Some information is on a "need to know" basis.

You could fill a couple of books with the things my partner's parents don't know about me

Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,911,603 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, but it was very hard for me and I kept trying to change the subject cause they keep asking more and more questions. Like one answer just opens more doors, for them, sort of thing. After I got home I started crying and almost threw up.
I mean this in a big brother way. But why are you such a snowflake.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 PM

23,458 posts, read 19,122,726 times
OP this is just one of the things you are going to have to learn to deal with if you want to become an independent adult...like the one who wants to manage their own money and create that feature film. Anyone interested in supporting your feature film will be grilling you a lot more harshly than your gf's parents are. How are you going to face them if you can't face this minor problem? All these fears, insecurities, and immature troubles in your life are connected.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:17 PM

9,387 posts, read 7,018,325 times
Quote:
Basically in conversations with my gfs parents they will ask me questions about me like what do I do, and things about my past, but really hate talking about myself.

I feel really ashamed of my past and regret a lot of the decisions I made, and I don't really like talking about my job, lack of career, goals, etc.

So when people ask me questions that I don't want to talk about in social situations like that, how do I avoid answering them? I don't mind talking about them perhaps, or at least not as much, I just don't want to talk about myself, if that's possible.
Assume you have a daughter and she is a young adult. Now assume that types of things you’d want to know about her lover.

Is he a killer
Is he a felon
Does he abuse women
Is he a drug addict
Is he using her for money

Clearly asnswer their questions that relate to their daughters safety and well being. And they will stop asking.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,085,890 times
But they keep asking all these other questions that have nothing to do with her safety and well being though.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:05 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,358,454 times
Well, certainly it doesn't sound like you're a serial killer or some fugitive wanted by law enforcement! You have a past in which you confined yourself to a hobby, right? Look, it's understandable that you don't like to discuss your background so deeply, yet by the same token your gf's folks want to know more about the guy their daughter is seeing. I'd disregard that "bob-and-weave" advice; just briefly tell them about your past. Briefly. A few words to give a general idea of your life, ideas, upbringing, etc. If they delve too deeply, then you can get vague and change the subject...but be subtle and tactful about it.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:58 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,444,845 times
Quote:
Oh yeah for sure I am focusing on the future now. It's just they keep asking me questions about my past, and not my present or future. So that's the problem I have with social situations with them.
Because the past is concrete and your future is only what you hope it will be. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, in their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships