Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,680 times

Advertisements

Maybe you've gone through a divorce or had your spouse pass away. Or perhaps you're currently married (if so, imagine your spouse being gone tomorrow).

Would you remarry and why? And if you care to share, let us know what the situation is from the aforementioned (married, divorced, widowed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,597 times
I got married to provide a stable, loving, Christian, two-parent household for my (yet to be born) four kids. Twelve years in, she took them and moved in with the boyfriend she had kept on the down-low for at least a year. Left me near bankruptcy, two max'ed out credit cards in collection in my name, numerous late or missed payments (utilities). Only now, six/seven years later, have I recovered financially. Have been with the current GF about eight months, discussing co-habitation in the near(-ish) future.

Since I am not having any more kids, marriage is off the table for me. The only reason I'd consider it is if I had an ailing significant other and she needed to get on my medical insurance.

So there's a vote for NO.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
"would you do it again?'
if my wife lets me.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:04 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Nope. Happily, passionately married for 28 years and counting. Nothing could ever match this and I wouldn't even try. Plus, I'm done taking care of other people. I probably wouldn't even want to live with someone.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
I am divorced and I would not change my past. I would most likely marry my ex-H again if I were to go back in time, but going forward, I would marry someone else.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,798 times
Absolutely No!!!

Been 26 yrs with a man so self absorbed I feel invisible most of the time . Stuck with him through 2 cancers,
heart issues, tia's and ptsd. His problems/issues (in his eyes) are always bigger/better/worse than mine.

The best times in my life have been those being single and living alone.

Last edited by ElizNJ; 11-29-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
Was married, four years (lived together for two years before thing the knot). She decided she wasn't happy here; wanted to go back to her home state. We were constantly arguing and fighting - she had a lot of drama and baggage, as her first husband was abusive (I was her second husband). Anyway, she left one Saturday, went back home.
My current S/O was married twice - first husband left her for another woman, second husband was abusive. We've been together now over a year; neither of us are even thinking of remarrying. Incidentally, her last guy (after her second husband) and her were together for 14 years, he passed away a few years ago.

No. Remarrying is out of the question.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Maybe you've gone through a divorce or had your spouse pass away. Or perhaps you're currently married (if so, imagine your spouse being gone tomorrow).

Would you remarry and why? And if you care to share, let us know what the situation is from the aforementioned (married, divorced, widowed).
I was once married, but am now divorced. My last serious partner was beyond gun-shy when it came to marriage due to his experiences as a child who bore witness to and was often caught in the midst of his parents' marital battles. Marriage with him was on the table for me; forever off the table for him.

My current partner and I haven't been seeing each other long enough for this to even be a major topic of conversation, but it has arisen in in the course of casual chats. He's game to marry under the right circumstances with the right woman even though his marriage was far less than ideal. My own marriage was an overall positive experience for me except for the the final year or so. (Great in-laws, sharing and making a home with him was easy, enjoyed doing things together, similar attitudes about finances, etc.) I hold no bitterness towards my former spouse, but I would definitely think twice about giving up what I've built for myself after my divorce to be with a man. He wouldn't have to be perfect, but he'd have to be pretty darn special.

Just as in my first marriage, though, there would be no living together until after engagement as "shacking up" isn't my thing.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Yes one of the greatest things I've ever done but don't plan on ever having the opportunity again. She likely will far outlive me.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:31 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
I am still married, but I have grown to find the actual point of marriage pointless.
Love my wife to death, but that’s something that happened with or without the ceremony attached. As far as feelings and commitment go “being married” had no real effect towards it.

As far as the legal side goes, My kids are grown at this point and plans for my eventual death and assets are already in place, so I really have no need to the legal side of it anymore either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships