Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM

279 posts, read 596,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Sounds like you gave yourself the answer. Sometimes we just have to think out loud for it to make sense.
Yup. I responded back and told him that I was flattered that he asked, but I don’t think meeting up again would be a good idea. I’m sure he’s fine with that and at least he knows he made an attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 06:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,532,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
Yup. I responded back and told him that I was flattered that he asked, but I don’t think meeting up again would be a good idea. I’m sure he’s fine with that and at least he knows he made an attempt.
Man, now we won't see a future post of how well it went at that meeting

Old 01-03-2019, 06:11 PM

13,000 posts, read 9,766,237 times
Quote:
A guy I briefly dated 12 years ago has recently contacted me a few times over social media. He first contacted me on social media 6 years ago, but I didn’t see the message until three years later. I did respond, but he didn’t see my message until two years later (which was last summer). So we exchanged a few messages last summer (just polite “how have you been” stuff) and I thought that was it. Then he sent me a “hope you’re well” message several months later a few weeks before Christmas and I sent a polite response back, but thought that was it. Then today, I got a message from him asking if I’d like to meet for coffee.

Once again, I haven’t seen or spoken to this person in 12 years. We aren’t friends on social media, he just contacted me randomly. I don’t really remember much about him but luckily I have an old journal where I did mention him so in reading that, I found out that we had eight dates 12 years ago. I was getting annoyed because he was taking a really long time to kiss me and I felt like there wasn’t much chemistry between us, but then after he finally kissed me (on our 7th date), I still wasn’t really into him. I don’t see a journal entry about how I ended things with him, but I’m assuming I told him that I didn’t think we were right for each other or something. I started dating someone else a few months later and never regretted my decision to move on.

I don’t know if he’s just feeling lonely since it’s around the holidays but I’m not sure why he wants to see me again. It’s not like we had that great of a time together. But I also feel bad about rejecting him because he seems like a nice guy, and I know that I’ve thought about people from my past too and would like to see some of them again. But I really don’t think there’s a chance that I’m going to fall for him this time around considering that I wasn’t interested back then, so I don’t really want to waste his time by accepting the coffee date. But I’m also not dating anyone else at the moment, so I wonder if I should just meet with him anyway?

Women: Would you go if you were single?

Men: If you contacted a woman after so many years, would you rather her turn you down or meet with you anyway even though she’s pretty sure that she’s not interested in you? Would you want to have one last shot to change her mind anyway?
Don't meet with him if this is really the case. Don't waste your time or his, sounds like it wasn't meant to be from the get go. Move forward with your life and don't look back.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM

10,525 posts, read 7,153,969 times
Quote:
A guy I briefly dated 12 years ago has recently contacted me a few times over social media. He first contacted me on social media 6 years ago, but I didn’t see the message until three years later. I did respond, but he didn’t see my message until two years later (which was last summer). So we exchanged a few messages last summer (just polite “how have you been” stuff) and I thought that was it. Then he sent me a “hope you’re well” message several months later a few weeks before Christmas and I sent a polite response back, but thought that was it. Then today, I got a message from him asking if I’d like to meet for coffee.

Once again, I haven’t seen or spoken to this person in 12 years. We aren’t friends on social media, he just contacted me randomly. I don’t really remember much about him but luckily I have an old journal where I did mention him so in reading that, I found out that we had eight dates 12 years ago. I was getting annoyed because he was taking a really long time to kiss me and I felt like there wasn’t much chemistry between us, but then after he finally kissed me (on our 7th date), I still wasn’t really into him. I don’t see a journal entry about how I ended things with him, but I’m assuming I told him that I didn’t think we were right for each other or something. I started dating someone else a few months later and never regretted my decision to move on.

I don’t know if he’s just feeling lonely since it’s around the holidays but I’m not sure why he wants to see me again. It’s not like we had that great of a time together. But I also feel bad about rejecting him because he seems like a nice guy, and I know that I’ve thought about people from my past too and would like to see some of them again. But I really don’t think there’s a chance that I’m going to fall for him this time around considering that I wasn’t interested back then, so I don’t really want to waste his time by accepting the coffee date. But I’m also not dating anyone else at the moment, so I wonder if I should just meet with him anyway?

Women: Would you go if you were single?

Men: If you contacted a woman after so many years, would you rather her turn you down or meet with you anyway even though she’s pretty sure that she’s not interested in you? Would you want to have one last shot to change her mind anyway?

People can change a helluva lot in 12 years. Worth a shot. What else do you have to do on your Saturday night?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,324,543 times
When I was single I invited a lot of gals out to dinner, or to my house for dinner... for good food and friendly conversation. I hope they didn't consider it a waste of time. Thirty years later and I'm still friends with a couple of them. Some I didn't kiss (deeply) either, not because I didn't like them, but because I preferred to just keep them as friends. You're not going to fall in love with everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't become good friends.

Some of you are so worried that a relationship won't become an epic love story that you're missing out on friendships. Just make it clear. I did from the start. "I think we'd be better friends than lovers. Okay?"

Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 AM

279 posts, read 596,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
When I was single I invited a lot of gals out to dinner, or to my house for dinner... for good food and friendly conversation. I hope they didn't consider it a waste of time. Thirty years later and I'm still friends with a couple of them. Some I didn't kiss (deeply) either, not because I didn't like them, but because I preferred to just keep them as friends. You're not going to fall in love with everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't become good friends.

Some of you are so worried that a relationship won't become an epic love story that you're missing out on friendships. Just make it clear. I did from the start. "I think we'd be better friends than lovers. Okay?"
Those kinds of “friendships” don’t work for me. Either the guy will want to take things further or once he gets a girlfriend, things will change. So no thanks.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:11 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,123,871 times
Me and my bf knew each other in high school. We graduated over 25 years ago. I remember we used to have arguments about a variety of different things in class because we didn't agree on stuff back then. But we met up again on social media and long story short we've been together now close to a year. We're both really different people now, after all of our life experiences. But I can honestly say that, having a shared past with him and knowing him already has gone a long way toward making this relationship stronger for me. He's not just some random that I met online. He's a former classmate that I've known since we were kids. My best friend was friends with him back then and I love the fact that they already know each other and are comfortable. The whole thing just feels awesome and I'm so glad I gave him a chance and met him for drinks when he asked. I didn't think much of him back in the day, but he's really wonderful as an adult with life experience.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,532,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Me and my bf knew each other in high school. We graduated over 25 years ago. I remember we used to have arguments about a variety of different things in class because we didn't agree on stuff back then. But we met up again on social media and long story short we've been together now close to a year. We're both really different people now, after all of our life experiences. But I can honestly say that, having a shared past with him and knowing him already has gone a long way toward making this relationship stronger for me. He's not just some random that I met online. He's a former classmate that I've known since we were kids. My best friend was friends with him back then and I love the fact that they already know each other and are comfortable. The whole thing just feels awesome and I'm so glad I gave him a chance and met him for drinks when he asked. I didn't think much of him back in the day, but he's really wonderful as an adult with life experience.
Great story. I hope it works out for you two

Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,491,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Hhhhhhh,

Guess I'm headed for the reunion when it comes up.

Nice story.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 43,831 times
I think it's nice that he hasn't seen you in so long and still remembers you. How did you not see his message for 3 years, and him not see yours for 2 years? Anyway, I think you should go out and meet him. Why not? He could be what you've been looking for all along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships