Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This...because in the event you DO get engaged the next thing is that it will be an endless engagement - happens all the time. If he doesn't want to get engaged even after getting into a better financial situation that is very interesting. I was just hearing that for most men, their main reason for not getting married was they didn't feel financially ready.

Be prepared for another 5 years...
Some guys have large student loans and want to get them paid off or close to paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
It's a 'timeline'.
He doesn't seem affected by the timeline. At all.

Quote:

EVERYONE I know his getting engaged.
This is literally one of the worst reasons to get engaged.

Don't be tempted to get on that train and feel like you're missing out because you aren't posting ring photos on Instagram etc. All that has nothing to do with being married. ZERO.

Please stop humiliating yourself by nagging him about getting engaged. Focus on living your life and being a good partner and making sure you two are meant to be committed to each other till death.

I would start by getting to the bottom of his hesitation.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
An agreement is an agreement.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:41 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
LOL you are so right, I am just being annoying because it seriously just seems like EVERYONE I know his getting engaged. Heck, 15 people out of my 100 person high school graduating class are either engaged/married now
And chances are a lot of them will soon be divorce statistics. You don't get engaged or married "because everyone else is." You get engaged/married because you love each other so much that you want that partnership with them.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
LOL you are so right, I am just being annoying because it seriously just seems like EVERYONE I know his getting engaged. Heck, 15 people out of my 100 person high school graduating class are either engaged/married now
Friends who get married together also get divorced together. I've seen it happen. Do your own thing. If you just follow the herd you'll end up following them off a cliff.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Well, since you asked ... you are too young to get married. You're not making mature decisions. As others have said, you shouldn't move across the country with a guy to play house. You shouldn't be making "timelines" to "get engaged." (Hint: you either get engaged or you don't. There is no halfway "engaged to get engaged" nonsense.) You do NOT pester your man into proposing. And you do NOT, absolutely DO NOT, get engaged and get married just because your friends are doing it or because he's hit some magic income number.

You've already messed up several of the above, so the only thing you can do at this point is leave him alone. Either he will or he won't. See what happens after the year is up.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
You should of got engaged when you moved in together.

He gets frustrated when you bring it up? Doesnt sound good at all.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 AM

293 posts, read 190,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Is it possible that he's trying to plan something for when you might not be expecting it and that's impossible if you're asking about it every day or is he not that type? Or is it possible that he thinks you're expecting something over the top when he proposes and he has nothing figured out?
Most likely not only because he has told me that I get to pick out the exact ring that I want. Like, yes we have looked at rings so I can know what I like, but I haven't picked out THE ring

Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 AM

293 posts, read 190,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I have found that when men want to get married, they do....and when they dont, they wont. Im not saying he wont eventually marry you, but if he cant even talk about getting engaged in 6 months, it doesnt sound like its something he wants to do. If marriage was on his timeline, he would have no problem getting engaged, and waffling on the actual wedding date, but this guy is back pedaling on even getting engaged.

I wouldnt be holding my breath on this one.
He does talk about getting engaged and getting married. We've talked extensively about what we want at our wedding.
If he's not ready now, that doesn't mean he won't ever be ready

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 AM

880 posts, read 531,965 times
I had a friend that wanted to get married sooo badly she could not shut up about it, they had been living together a year or so, and she felt it was time for the next step, to push things along, she "accidentally" fell pregnant. He came home from work one day (it was around Christmas time) and tossed a box at her saying "here, its what you want right".

Their kid is 14 now...and shes still "planning" her wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships