Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup. Has happened to me a few times. One time, I was going up the stairs to catch the train to work, and a pretty attractive lady caught my eye when she passed by. I kept thinking that she looked familiar but couldn't put my finger on where I knew her. A few minutes later it dawned on me that I had seen her profile online (probably messaged her too, lol). A few other similar instances like this.
Wow, just last night I came home from a local brewery. Spotted 2 women from Match. lol They were one of many women that were non-responsive of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It happened today. I actually initiated it. I was at a festival and the guy had a booth set up for his business. I had no clue he was going to be there but I recognized him the minute I saw him. My grown son was with me and we stopped at his booth. My son was asking about his product and got a sample. I was asking about the product and trying to figure out if I should say something. It was kind of awkward. I don't think he recognized me because we never chatted or anything. Anyhow, my son had no clue and started to walk away. I said to him you look familiar. He looked at me like I am not sure who you are. I leaned over and said to him I know where I know you from...POF. His blushed and nodded his head. We had a little small talk about the weather because it started to rain. I asked him if he'd be sticking around and he said probably not if they end up cancelling the festival. I told him to have a good afternoon and that was it. I did it though. I was proud of myself.
You know, I've always wondered that if I did this, I'd get a rather negative result (the bolded) if I ran with having seen them on POF. I figured I'd be a bad idea.

But maybe just go with, "You look familiar" and just make NO mention of having seen them on a dating site. Or may be not even say "you look familiar". I dunno, just something stalker-ish about that. BUt your'e a woman, so a man would not feel threatened by you seeing him online.

So he never asked for your number?

I dunno, I figured making another attempt, in person, would be risky had they recognized you as the men they didn't reply to.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:25 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
yes.
thank goodness my wife did not.
That makes me remember another situation. My ex-girlfriend who I met online- it was a long distance relationship where we were visiting each other at least one weekend per month (I was traveling to another city for work frequently so that is how it ended up being long distance).

After we started dating, she texted me a picture of her birthday outing. I recognized one of her friends in the picture. Turns out I had messaged back and forth a few times with one of her good friends who was also on the online dating site The convo just fizzled out and it happened before I met my ex-girlfriend, but still it was really awkward lol. I was struggling whether to tell my girlfriend at-the-time or not. I just decided not to. But it shows you that it is a small world, and you can run into people you meet online.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:15 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
You know, I've always wondered that if I did this, I'd get a rather negative result (the bolded) if I ran with having seen them on POF. I figured I'd be a bad idea.

But maybe just go with, "You look familiar" and just make NO mention of having seen them on a dating site. Or may be not even say "you look familiar". I dunno, just something stalker-ish about that. BUt your'e a woman, so a man would not feel threatened by you seeing him online.

So he never asked for your number?

I dunno, I figured making another attempt, in person, would be risky had they recognized you as the men they didn't reply to.
I know what you are saying and I wasn't sure what to say. I am the type of person who just says what I am thinking. It was brief. He gave me a business card. His number is on there. I figured if he was interested, he can contact me on one of the dating sites. I have a feeling this isn't going to be the first time I run into him either. We like to do similar things for fun. I actually have seen him before I joined at a reoccurring weekly event we have in town. I guess that could go one way or another. I am cool with a friendship too. We'll just have to see...

Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know what you are saying and I wasn't sure what to say. I am the type of person who just says what I am thinking. It was brief. He gave me a business card. His number is on there. I figured if he was interested, he can contact me on one of the dating sites. I have a feeling this isn't going to be the first time I run into him either. We like to do similar things for fun. I actually have seen him before I joined at a reoccurring weekly event we have in town. I guess that could go one way or another. I am cool with a friendship too. We'll just have to see...
Yeah, sometimes I wonder if by running to them in person kind of gives you a "do-over" of sorts. Clean slate.

Recently, a woman that faded on my years ago on a dating site, will be showing up at a local Meetup event that I'm also attending. But I'm not sure if I should approach her and introduce myself as if she never met me before or not. Kind of awkward, esp. in smaller cities where you'll be bumping into each other in person.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
I got a better one.

There's this one woman I know from Meetup that has been attending singles events. I later spotted her on POF and I scanned her profile, typical stuff. Then read at the bottom, "Due to unforutnate circumstances, I have acquired HSV Type 2"

I was like...Woah, TMI? Maybe? Maybe not?

If the men in Meetup only knew.
I suspect if she was willing to share that on her dating profile, she would let a guy know before they got anywhere near having sex with her. I really applaud people who disclose, because obviously it's the ethical thing to do, but it's also a brave thing to do. It's one of the things that I have wished would "spread" (the mindset of honesty, not so much HSV) from more sex-positive communities, to the general population. The worst thing about HSV is the stigma, hands down. I've been hearing all about this virus since I was 14, when a close family member contracted it. Those of us who are educated on the subject know, the reality of having it is not a big deal, the only real "risk" it carries that is meaningful, is for women who are having babies, and that is very easily managed.

Knowing what I know about it has been one of the reasons I've been as comfortable as I have, taking certain sexual risks in my lifetime. I've been prepared to accept it if I caught it, internalized the mindset that it wouldn't be a big deal, but (and it still shocks me given how common it is) I've just had the lucky dice rolls and remained free of it thus far.

But I'm pretty committed to talking about it because not only is the stigma the worst part about having it, the stigma keeps people silent, which is how you get it spreading the way it has. Dude, she probably isn't the only one at your Meetups who is HSV+. Like one in four people has it. We are talking about a virus that is less potentially harmful than flu, chickenpox, or shingles, that has been around for thousands of years (we know from recent DNA testing of ancient human remains.) Like I can understand not necessarily wanting to catch it, but the woman isn't a leper or something. Good on her for her honesty.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I suspect if she was willing to share that on her dating profile, she would let a guy know before they got anywhere near having sex with her. I really applaud people who disclose, because obviously it's the ethical thing to do, but it's also a brave thing to do. It's one of the things that I have wished would "spread" (the mindset of honesty, not so much HSV) from more sex-positive communities, to the general population. The worst thing about HSV is the stigma, hands down. I've been hearing all about this virus since I was 14, when a close family member contracted it. Those of us who are educated on the subject know, the reality of having it is not a big deal, the only real "risk" it carries that is meaningful, is for women who are having babies, and that is very easily managed.

Knowing what I know about it has been one of the reasons I've been as comfortable as I have, taking certain sexual risks in my lifetime. I've been prepared to accept it if I caught it, internalized the mindset that it wouldn't be a big deal, but (and it still shocks me given how common it is) I've just had the lucky dice rolls and remained free of it thus far.

But I'm pretty committed to talking about it because not only is the stigma the worst part about having it, the stigma keeps people silent, which is how you get it spreading the way it has. Dude, she probably isn't the only one at your Meetups who is HSV+. Like one in four people has it. We are talking about a virus that is less potentially harmful than flu, chickenpox, or shingles, that has been around for thousands of years (we know from recent DNA testing of ancient human remains.) Like I can understand not necessarily wanting to catch it, but the woman isn't a leper or something. Good on her for her honesty.
Hey, I wasn't shaming her either. I give her kudos for admitting it so that men know what they are getting into. And yes,I know Herpes 2 is no big deal.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Hey, I wasn't shaming her either. I give her kudos for admitting it so that men know what they are getting into. And yes,I know Herpes 2 is no big deal.
I was responding mostly to your "If the men in Meetup only knew." comment.

I'm sure that if she gets to a point with any one of them where they would have any need to know, she'd tell them. If she's willing to put it on a dating profile... Right?? So "if they only knew"...then...what?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Yes after I flew to Nashville to meet my blond cutie only to find Quasimodo standing in the parking lot I found the same cute blond back on eharmony a month later
It’s not really lying you just have to do lots of affirmations until you believe it and then post pics of how you believe you really are up on eharmony

Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Yes, depending on the person, it might not be a big deal or a very big deal. I'm not usually ready for it, and I don't try to prep myself for every person I could "meet." However, if it happens with a particular person, and I wasn't ready, usually I'll say nothing unless the other person initiates. If I had a questionable or bad experience talking online with a person, I might question the person's interactions in-person if they give me potentially misleading interest stares or initiate a conversation with me.

If it's a person I think that I can level with, I might initiate and see what they say. If they show interest, great. If they shrug it off or just don't answer well enough, I try to walk away and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships