Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,089,923 times

Advertisements

If so, would you approach them and say hi or just walk the other direction? Of course, that means if you may possibly be interested in the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM

20,410 posts, read 14,693,571 times
Kind of?

There was a young man I talked to for a while and went on one date with. But the date was so horribly awkward I gave him the old, "sorry, no sparks man, best of luck to you" and cut it off. I won't tell the date story, but it was a doozy. Most awkward incident of possibly my entire life. It was bad.

So a couple of years later, I was at an informal birthday get together a friend was having at Ihop. (She chose Ihop because she wanted to be loud and silly and stay up late, and it turned out to be a great choice.) And guess who happened to be there, when I didn't think we had any social connections in common whatsoever? Yeah, awkward date guy.

I avoided him until the end when he was leaving, and then congratulated him on losing a bunch of weight and told him I hoped life was going well. Only very slightly uncomfortable.

The opposite however, happened constantly, where I'd see people that I knew from real life, on OLD. I would usually message to say hi, when it was a friend. Luckily it was friends, not coworkers. There are things about me that I was very open about on my dating profile, that probably not every person I work with needs to know. Fortunately most of my coworkers are women, and the few men are mostly married, so I wasn't very likely to run into them there.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot another case. A guy I talked to online but decided not to meet in person, ended up dating a friend of mine and I met him, and then he ended up being an intern where I work for a while, and then I ran into him at the grocery store...

Old 06-07-2019, 04:03 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If so, would you approach them and say hi or just walk the other direction? Of course, that means if you may possibly be interested in the person.
A couple of times. The one, I wasn't sure if it was that person or not, the other was from POF and she was a manager at a local big box department store. Didn't approach them, but the dept store manager checked me out (cashier check out, not the kind you think, lol).

Indeed made eye contact, and I wasn't sure if she recognized me or not. She was one of many that didn't respond of course. I could have said a line like "Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" But didn't. She was the manager there, so who knows what action she'd take if I said, "Hey, You're on POF, aren't you?" lol

Funny you bring this up, because on the POF message boards, someone talked about the whole lack of responses men get when sending out emails.

A man said he met a woman in public from POF, was one of many women that didn't answer back. He approached her, threw some game out, got her digits and dated her. About 4 or 5 dates in, he revealed to her that he emailed her some time ago.

She was shocked and said something like "Had I known that was you, I would have responded!!"

Hindsight 20/20 and all.

This goes to prove that women who pass men up via a dating site MAY be passing up on a good catch. Because chances are if they met the SAME man...in person, they'd immediately not sweat giving him a date.

Of course, not entirely their fault either since online dating has pretty put up a major hurdle compared to real life interactions. This guy was just a "take a number" guy in her inbox. AT least in person, he was able to sell himself much easily...and get passed the competition.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:25 PM

These stories are awesome.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,965,061 times
Quote:
Have you?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:45 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
These stories are awesome.
I got a better one.

There's this one woman I know from Meetup that has been attending singles events. I later spotted her on POF and I scanned her profile, typical stuff. Then read at the bottom, "Due to unforutnate circumstances, I have acquired HSV Type 2"

I was like...Woah, TMI? Maybe? Maybe not?

If the men in Meetup only knew.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:50 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,643,063 times
No, but the opposite! Haha it was so beyond weird. Quite a long time ago by now, but I connected with this girl just so I could say, hey I know you! It was one of my sister’s old friends from way back as a kid, and my first thought was, “Holy cow that’s Ginevra! And she got boobs!” She was a small girl with like DD boobs, which was crazy because the last time I had seen her I think she was 12 or 13 and no boobs. She was surprised to see me on the site and I was surprised to see her. As much as I would have loved to date her just to annoy my sister, alas, it wasn’t like that - I just said hello

Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Have you?
It happened today. I actually initiated it. I was at a festival and the guy had a booth set up for his business. I had no clue he was going to be there but I recognized him the minute I saw him. My grown son was with me and we stopped at his booth. My son was asking about his product and got a sample. I was asking about the product and trying to figure out if I should say something. It was kind of awkward. I don't think he recognized me because we never chatted or anything. Anyhow, my son had no clue and started to walk away. I said to him you look familiar. He looked at me like I am not sure who you are. I leaned over and said to him I know where I know you from...POF. His blushed and nodded his head. We had a little small talk about the weather because it started to rain. I asked him if he'd be sticking around and he said probably not if they end up cancelling the festival. I told him to have a good afternoon and that was it. I did it though. I was proud of myself.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Yup. Has happened to me a few times. One time, I was going up the stairs to catch the train to work, and a pretty attractive lady caught my eye when she passed by. I kept thinking that she looked familiar but couldn't put my finger on where I knew her. A few minutes later it dawned on me that I had seen her profile online (probably messaged her too, lol). A few other similar instances like this.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,972,841 times
yes.
thank goodness my wife did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships