Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
1- “Failed relationships,” exactly. Successful relationships were specifically mentioned.
2- I’m specifically talking about his scenario in which a woman agrees to a date out of a social obligation to engage in the dating market because they disregard their own instincts of what will make them happy and potentially prioritize the happiness of others over their own. That’s way beyond “I know this guy you just have to meet!”
I seen quite a bit of 2 happening actually (I'm pretty sure a lot of 20th Century operated in a similar way). In fact, I've heard a lot about women conditioned to disregard their own instincts to date or be in a relationship out of some form of 'social obligation'. It's not being pushed now, but just a heartbeat ago, things were pretty close to the way you are talking about.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you been to college recently, or is this also something you're speaking on from gathered data and your personal analysis and interpretation, sitting at your desk at home and using your computer and wifi to indulge in your voyeurism of the normies? Singles wasteland - is that where you see yourself? I might pity you if you didn't express such misogyny in this forum.
You are being obnoxious and wasting bandwidth. I don't think you have been to college recently. I attended college. I know many students there weren't dating. (It wasn't a party school. Some colleges have more dating and sex.) I also know data. I think a few years prior to the revelations about young people, I saw some statistics on a sizable percentage of college students not having sex. Also, while "wasteland" might be my word, Google "dating apocalypse." Part of that, as I've been saying, is some growing, not-small percentage of women probably incorrectly thinking it's not worth trying to find love and marriage.

Also, I don't know why you dug up an old post of mine that was, while weird, not about women at all, and I won't tolerate what I perceive as deliberate harassment.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You are being obnoxious and wasting bandwidth. I don't think you have been to college recently. I attended college. I know many students there weren't dating. (It wasn't a party school. Some colleges have more dating and sex.) I also know data. I think a few years prior to the revelations about young people, I saw some statistics on a sizable percentage of college students not having sex. Also, while "wasteland" might be my word, Google "dating apocalypse." Part of that, as I've been saying, is some growing, not-small percentage of women probably incorrectly thinking it's not worth trying to find love and marriage.

Also, I don't know why you dug up an old post of mine that was, while weird, not about women at all, and I won't tolerate what I perceive as deliberate harassment.
I graduated summa *** laude a little over a month ago. When did you 'attend?'

Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
I never said marriage makes people happy. I suggested that quality marriage makes people happier (or more content, emotionally satisfied, or something like that). Mutual love makes quality of life better - truism. Let's get away from toxic inaction and back to common sense. If some groups of single women are happier in any ways (happier with their salaries and careers, for example), that's not because they are unmarried and that's not an excuse to have no love life.
Common sense is finding your own happiness (and not spending hours debating someone else’s). The bottom line - one is responsible for one’s own happiness, whether married or not. It’s this perception marriage (or a relationship) ‘makes’ someone happy which is the exact type of immature thinking which will cause unhappiness. Fulfilled, happy people create happy relationships/marriages; they also create happy lives without relationships (if that’s their choice).

Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Take a look at this post, and think of how many women you know who would get into a relationship for mistreatment with some if they knew he had expressed this online:

//www.city-data.com/forum/48459460-post5.html
WITAF?!!!

That poor 'drone'.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatecowboy View Post
common sense is finding your own happiness (and not spending hours debating someone else’s). The bottom line - one is responsible for one’s own happiness, whether married or not. It’s this perception marriage (or a relationship) ‘makes’ someone happy which is the exact type of immature thinking which will cause unhappiness. Fulfilled, happy people create happy relationships/marriages; they also create happy lives without relationships (if that’s their choice).
+1

Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I seen quite a bit of 2 happening actually (I'm pretty sure a lot of 20th Century operated in a similar way). In fact, I've heard a lot about women conditioned to disregard their own instincts to date or be in a relationship out of some form of 'social obligation'. It's not being pushed now, but just a heartbeat ago, things were pretty close to the way you are talking about.
It worked better than things do now (fewer relationships and quality of relationships not better), and to imply that women had no agency in relationship decisions is insulting to women. Dating when not excited to is not a bad thing nor exclusive to women.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I graduated summa *** laude a little over a month ago. When did you 'attend?'
Before that. College students not having much sex probably was never rare anywhere, and it's clearly becoming more common (but not talked openly about by the students). I suppose you went to one of the more 'active' schools and hardly socialized with the 'uncool' kids.

Want to delete the post in which you referenced my unrelated revelations as somehow an attempt to harm me?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:57 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,593 times
Quote:
Sorry, world, I can't log off and get ready to sleep without arguing more with a stranger on the Internet....

Any first date likely will fail to lead to another date. That's a statistical fact. I fully believe that any date based largely on obligation has worse odds, but what if for example the man turns out to be better-looking than his pictures or have a sexy voice? Plus, alcohol has a way of sparking attraction, and nobody I know of encourages dates when the judgment is already "ugly." If you want to give up, give up, but don't imply things for you personally or someone in a similar situation are impossible.

You mean impossible under your system in which women are "cajoled" into dating people like me? Fine, statistically it's not impossible. But what you're pushing for here is worse, it's unethical, and it really wouldn't have helped my own situation anyways. None of the women I asked out were against dating, they were just against dating me. Most of the ones I know about went on to date other people, or at least were actively looking for other people, the last I heard or cared to check. I just didn't check their boxes the right way. So, what you're arguing for here wouldn't have helped my situation, unless you're actually implying that women shouldn't be allowed to say "No" to a man who asks...and if that's what you're arguing, the first two words of your post should have been your last on the internet.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
It worked better than things do now (fewer relationships and quality of relationships not better), and to imply that women had no agency in relationship decisions is insulting to women. Dating when not excited to is not a bad thing nor exclusive to women.
Nobody is saying or even implying that women had "no agency in relationship decisions". I sure as hell did not "imply" that. I was merely talking about earlier times. And since when did you become the SJW for women? You want to control women and now you're "insulted" on their behalf?

LOL!!! give me a break!!! Please spare me.

Perhaps the reason you can't find a woman is because your reading comprehension is lacking.

But I don't disagree that dating when 'not excited' is not necessarily a bad thing. It's easier to be objective and see things in a more level-headed fashion that way.

But still... C'mon. Pick a color.

Last edited by TJenkins602; 07-05-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.