Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
LOL I had a former coworker who was in a poly relationship --- oh the drama. He was the guy and there were 2 women and the women were constantly jealous of his time with the other. They definitely didn't seem to feel "casual" about it.
Casual is not the defining characteristic of most polyamorous relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I've seen it here from the polys.
It would be interesting to see you link to specific posts as I have not seen this at all. Having a point of view does not equate to thinking another is bad.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Well...it's just sugar coating it really. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...when then obviously it's a duck.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Some woman have casual sex nowadays just to prove a point that they can be just like men and nobody can tell them what to do with their body.
Yes, I definitely have sex to prove things to people who will never even know I had sex

Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Yes. Poly-AMORY, multiple LOVES. It's the swingers who are all about the sex.
This is a WILD over simplification.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Well...it's just sugar coating it really. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...when then obviously it's a duck.

So I am thinking that the OP, who is talking of a monogamous relationship and when polys chime in, they really don't have much room to be chiming in on a topic regarding monogamy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm quacking up over here. I know. I was leaving anyway

Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Yes, I definitely have sex to prove things to people who will never even know I had sex
Right? I would bet a dollar he thinks he is not into mansplaining.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I was leaving anyway
Whew

Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Yeah, had meant to address this, there's just some inconsistencies there. First your poly, then you're not, then it could shift again.

Quite contradictory, first you say polyamorists aren't into casual sex", but then follow that up with "even so". Then you throw out out the FWB, which is obviously casual sex. You just admitted it with the "even if so". So basically, "even if we DO have casual sex, it's at least FWB".

Kind of feel like a Hollywood detective here, "So which story are you going with?"
It's weird, as much as you and I have talked, in PMs even, you know damn well the details of my life and situation, yet you continue to be...like this.

Do you really need me to spell it out for you?

I begin to see why you struggle with dating. If I were even considering someone and they acted all cool/friendly with me like you sometimes do, and then switched to this weird antagonism, I'd suddenly be way too busy to talk to them. You're coming off as confrontational, if you didn't see it.

I don't see poly as a solid, unchangeable thing, like gay or straight. For me, it is more of a thing I did for a while, and then found it was too much for my life, so I stopped. Yet I retain many of the ethics and things I picked up from books, forums, groups, and friends who identify as poly. If I had to "identify" as something though, I'm pretty vague about it. Monogamish? Polyflexible? I do what works. Right now, that is a committed relationship with one partner. We are planning our wedding. We don't have intercourse with other people. If the day ever comes when one of us feels some sort of compulsion to do so, we have an undertaking to discuss that before it happens, which we both think is a superior option to cheating. Yet both of us feel it's fairly unlikely. We are both very happy together, and don't want a future apart. No it has not been 100% problem free, but the rare issue that would sink most ships, has been but a ripple on the water for us.

I know you don't like it, it's obvious in your tone. You don't want it to work out for us, because you want some kind of confirmation that people should do what YOU think is right, in your world, and you want cosmic proof that people who break the rules you believe in, get their just desserts in misery and suffering, if not now, then later. We all have, to some degree, that kind of bias. I admit to feeling that way about my ex and other people I know.

Your whole "sometimes it's like this...but other times it's like that...which is it?" query is just ridiculous. Have we not talked enough for you to understand...? These people, the many I know, they, just like me, are doing whatever they think works for them under whatever terms they want. Just instead of assuming there is one set of rules and getting confused if it doesn't get followed unspoken, they write their own scripts and communicate expectations. And if things change, they change. You talk about that, too.

That's what I was just saying, when it comes to casual, what are we talking about?
No strings/one night stands?
"No feelings allowed" or FB or something?
Friends with benefits?
Relationships where people are committed to a closed agreement (even if there are 3 or 4 of them, they agree to not bring in more, this is called "polyfidelity") but it isn't intended to be a lifelong commitment, it's just for however long it lasts?
Short term relationships that everyone knows will end at some point?

All shades of "casual." In a sense.

And that was WHY this even enters into it. The OP is not happy with dehumanizing arrangements based too much on sex. She wants there to be AT MINIMUM, the kind of investment and consideration you would offer to a good friend. Plenty of polyamorists are doing that. Hell, some are married couples with a third partner that they consider to be an equal to the original relationship, they all live together and don't have sex or romance with anyone outside of that. It is what differentiates poly from swingers, the focus on RELATIONSHIPS or the focus on SEX.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:24 AM

^^The other consistent notion is that to speak about poly in this way is to denigrate monogamy. Which it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships