Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:17 PM

48,566 posts, read 34,949,541 times

Advertisements

He has a hobby AND it gives him exercise, and enjoyment. I would find a way to work with it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 10:56 PM

4,041 posts, read 3,319,764 times
But how much of this that the OP has a baby due in January? I don't have kids myself, but isn't there stuff about a nesting instinct that women have as they start preparing stuff for the baby to arrive. I agree that the Irish dancing probably shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I also think pregnancy causes hormonal issues in women that make them moody. The question to me is how to address the pregnancy induced moodiness. Do you ignore and move on figuring that no matter what you do, the hormones are going to make her moody or do you give in to her demands even if they are a bit off because well how many times is she going to be pregnant?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,964,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That the OP keeps comparing it to a professional sport is odd. If only he were getting paid for all this effort.
You are clearly not a dancer. Dancing at a high level of technique is very much like playing a sport at an elite level, due to the physical skill involved. The goal is to make it look as effortless as possible, so it looks easy enough to do, but in truth it takes a lot of skill and strength.

OP should be happy her husband is involved in regular exercise and isn't sitting in the couch all weekend, drinking beer, stuffing his face and watching football.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:28 AM

7 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You are clearly not a dancer. Dancing at a high level of technique is very much like playing a sport at an elite level, due to the physical skill involved. The goal is to make it look as effortless as possible, so it looks easy enough to do, but in truth it takes a lot of skill and strength.

OP should be happy her husband is involved in regular exercise and isn't sitting in the couch all weekend, drinking beer, stuffing his face and watching football.
A pretty low bar for comparison, don't you think? "Oh, he doesn't bring you flowers? Say thanks he doesn't beat you and bring his mistresses home." As if there are only two variants.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:51 AM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
At this point we all are speculating. We don't really know what will happen after the baby is born. Maybe caring for it became his new hobby.
New baby is a life changing situation. Might change his life as well.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 29,497,078 times
My longtime ex did this with RC cars. I put my foot down and told him there needs to be a compromise or I'm out. It was getting to be every weekend and I wasn't having it

Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,237,220 times
My advice is to tell your husband that his hobby is annoying you.

In my opinion a hobby is a hobby not a mission in life.

If he dedicate so much time of his life to this hobby and put it above the needs of his family, then it is not a hobby but an escape from his responsibilities.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
Interesting opinion from the OP and others. And women wonder why men don't want to get married and the marriage rate keeps dropping. It seems that many expect men to just work, do chores at home, take care of the kids and give up all their interests and hobbies. This is exactly the kind of thing that MGTOW advocates would use to push their philosophy.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:26 PM

3,155 posts, read 1,612,409 times
I had a friend whose husband was involved with something similar that required fitness, considerable time commitment and expense. The children eventually became involved and it created a father-child bonding. My friend was fully supportive. She worked full time and had many of her own social activities. On the face of it, I wouldn't consider it a problem. It's only a problem if you are feeling lonely, your future children neglected and/or the expense is not affordable.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:22 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,367,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I’m sorry I just have to ask if we’re being trolled? The whole wife is getting jealous of a husband’s side activities is quite the cliche topic. Be it video games, gambling, drugs, drinking, fantasy/sports, etc... It is a common real thing for a relationship dynamic to want to control someone’s time and interests.

I’ve never heard of a scorned wife over Irish dancing so this is a first in a revolving iteration of the same topic over and over.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HonorableLeftCrow-max-1mb.gif
Moderation is the KEY. Some people lack that common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
My advice is to tell your husband that his hobby is annoying you.

In my opinion a hobby is a hobby not a mission in life.

If he dedicate so much time of his life to this hobby and put it above the needs of his family, then it is not a hobby but an escape from his responsibilities.
Good way of looking at it. My ex enjoyed helping people. The problem was he let these “friends” treat him like a doormat. He’d sacrifice his sleep and money that he couldn’t afford without them paying him back. It was his way of serving others making himself look like a good Christian. Once I got to know him quite well, he showed his true colors and ugly side. Him helping others is about fake as a sheep in wolf’s clothing. One red flag I should of noticed was I always thought he seemed too nice to me and his “friends” in the early stages of dating him

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 10-03-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships