Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times

Advertisements

Apparently, there is a back story?

Just judging by the opening post I see nothing fishy. I would have her visit and your friends meet her. Friends see easily what you don't notice. You may feel chemistry but you may be blinded, it is hard to tell from here.

Did she ask for gifts? Does she tell you she needs money? Is she affectionate? Just because she doesn't mind leaving Brazil doesn't mean she is just out for a Green Card.

You said she was not hiding that she would not mind leaving Brazil - I mean, one of you has to give up their country, so why is she not allowed to say it is her? Should she pretend she wants to stay where she is - the relationship would be doomed, I mean, what is the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
You can't sponsor a green card for someone by living with them. You have to be married to them. Has there been any talk of marriage? And is there a sexual relationship?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:59 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post

Her reaction got me concerned about her real intentions. What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.
Good instincts. Rejecting your suggestion to move to where she lives initially, is not love. Period, the end.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 PM

630 posts, read 525,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Apparently, there is a back story?

Just judging by the opening post I see nothing fishy. I would have her visit and your friends meet her. Friends see easily what you don't notice. You may feel chemistry but you may be blinded, it is hard to tell from here.

Did she ask for gifts? Does she tell you she needs money? Is she affectionate? Just because she doesn't mind leaving Brazil doesn't mean she is just out for a Green Card.

You said she was not hiding that she would not mind leaving Brazil - I mean, one of you has to give up their country, so why is she not allowed to say it is her? Should she pretend she wants to stay where she is - the relationship would be doomed, I mean, what is the point?
She never asked for money, and doesn't ask for gifts. She doesn't want to move to the US at all costs, she's open to other countries as well.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 PM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
She never asked for money, and doesn't ask for gifts. She doesn't want to move to the US at all costs, she's open to other countries as well.
Not enough info: is she interested in you ROMANTICALLY? Flirting, kissing, sex, plans to marry?
I noticed that lots of people in the US think that everyone wants to move to the US at any cost and every woman living in another country would "use" American Citizens to get the Green Card.

As OP said, this Brazilian woman is educated and financially well. She doesn't want to move to the US at all costs. She prefers to live somewhere in Europe...
Lately, only very poor people from poor countries are still impressed with the US. Stats say that most people dreaming about life in the US are dirt poor, oppressed and come from the Third World.

So, OP - it doesn't look like she is "using" you to get the Green Card.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 PM

17,684 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
I mentioned moving to Lisbon to be together, both because it is something I am interested in and also to "test the waters". She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there.

Her reaction got me concerned about her real intentions. What do you think?
OP, please explain the quoted text. Specifically:

"She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there."

Was she saying that she doesn't want to live with you in Lisbon? Or was she saying that she'd break up with you if you moved to Lisbon?

elnina, the OP also has a UE citizenship. He clearly thinks he's being used based on that response.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 PM

17,684 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
As OP said, this Brazilian woman is educated and financially well.
She is an Asian woman living in Brazil.

From his other thread:

Quote:
On the other hand, though she lives in a "developing" country, she definitely is not from a favela. She is 37, Asian, is a physical therapist, and still lives at home. Her father was a dentist. She is well traveled, and is a though she's not a millionaire, she certainly belongs to the middle class.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So you threw out an idea to be together and she rejected it?

Yeah, it sounds fishy. You've spent a LOT of time and effort on this woman, who is 37, right??

At some point you're either in or out.

What is UE citizenship??
Well, OP threw out and idea of ONE place to be together. Maybe she doesn't want to live in Lisbon. Now, if she rejects everywhere OP suggests, that might be one thing, but to say she's not interested in OP because she wasn't interested in the one place OP suggested they live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good instincts. Rejecting your suggestion to move to where she lives initially, is not love. Period, the end.
She doesn't live in Lisbon. They merely visited there. (I have visited many places that I enjoyed and would not want to live. And if a significant other suggested it, I would also say that no, I wasn't interested in living there. Would have nothing to do with whether I loved them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

"She replied "no" without a thought, and added that we wouldn't stay together if I moved there."

Was she saying that she doesn't want to live with you in Lisbon? Or was she saying that she'd break up with you if you moved to Lisbon?
Or was she saying she was afraid he would break up with her if they lived in Lisbon?

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
She is an Asian woman living in Brazil.

From his other thread:
She's Brazilian with Asian ancestry

Old 12-03-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:

elnina, the OP also has a UE citizenship. He clearly thinks he's being used based on that response.
She meant that if I ultimately decided to move to Lisbon, she wouldn't move there with me and would break up with me since she doesn't wish to live there with or without me. On the other hand, she'd be willing to move with me to other countries that would meet her requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships