Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:38 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
The funny thing is how most women don't understand that those little things they perceive as "flaws" in their appearances actually make men feel more at ease. The men may also like those things... my wife thinks she has a couple of appearance flaws but I find them absolutely adorable.

So, ladies, maybe you do have a zit. Look at your man's face- is he zit-free? Maybe you are sagging a bit. Look at your man's body... does he have any wrinkles or sags? Maybe your skin tone is uneven. Look at your man's skin tone... is it even? (UNDERNEATH all of the body hair?!)

When a woman is constantly trying to make her appearance absolutely spot-on perfect, and she notices every last little blemish and considers it bad, she makes her man more self-conscious. Women are usually more observant than men, and the man will think "if she notices all of her blemishes, surely she notices mine too... does she think that badly of mine?". She might say no to that question, but the man won't believe her. Ladies, just stop worrying about it. Men think it's sexy when a woman is confident enough to go anywhere without makeup and they don't give a hoot about the length or color of your nails. There are men who insist that their women wear makeup. Such men are not actually attracted to their women and should be dumped immediately.
NWPA guy; this is how it SHOULD be. But I do think that most women (not all, but most) are more forgiving of their husband's physical faults than those same husbands are of their wive's faults.

Wasn't there recently an article posted on here that said that the happiest couples are those where the wife is better looking than the husband for this exact reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
Yeah there was, but I don't put much stock in that. They were evaluating "attractiveness" based upon mathematical formulas. I love mathematics, but numbers can't explain people's physical attractions any more than they can explain what foods people like. As I said before, I've always been attracted to fat women. I can recall that as far back as age 2. What about the mathematics there, eh? I don't know why I've always preferred fat women... I just have.

If that article was correct, it said basically that men will effectively suck up to their more attractive wives... and then everyone is happy. Doesn't it work the other way around? I mean, if the wife thinks the husband is more attractive, would she suck up to him and then everyone is happy? Somehow, the logic falls short. They don't even take into account societal pressures. (I read a study not long ago that concluded that in societies which have had no Western influence, larger women who have approximately equal bust, waist, and hip measurements are seen as most attractive. What about the mathematics then? It's all relative.)

Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,666 times
It does seem like there are no good guys left, and the only ones available are the ones who stand on street corners, pants sagging off their butts yelling "Yo, Shorty!" from across the street.

If that's what's left, I'd rather be single.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Default What hood you reppin..lol

....you seem to be attracted to the wrong guys...LMFAO - the ones standing on the street corners with pants sagging are the ones who think they are too sexy for their clothes and would like to keep it that way in this life.

===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
It does seem like there are no good guys left, and the only ones available are the ones who stand on street corners, pants sagging off their butts yelling "Yo, Shorty!" from across the street.

If that's what's left, I'd rather be single.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:25 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Yeah there was, but I don't put much stock in that. They were evaluating "attractiveness" based upon mathematical formulas. I love mathematics, but numbers can't explain people's physical attractions any more than they can explain what foods people like. As I said before, I've always been attracted to fat women. I can recall that as far back as age 2. What about the mathematics there, eh? I don't know why I've always preferred fat women... I just have.

If that article was correct, it said basically that men will effectively suck up to their more attractive wives... and then everyone is happy. Doesn't it work the other way around? I mean, if the wife thinks the husband is more attractive, would she suck up to him and then everyone is happy? Somehow, the logic falls short. They don't even take into account societal pressures. (I read a study not long ago that concluded that in societies which have had no Western influence, larger women who have approximately equal bust, waist, and hip measurements are seen as most attractive. What about the mathematics then? It's all relative.)
I do think that there is someone for everyone - someone that loves tall skinny women, and others who can think of nothing better than a short cuddly one!
That's part of life and is why it's such a shame that so many girls spend so much time trying to hard to be thin. What a shame!

I still do think that women are more forgiving of men's physical faults than men are of women's. Sadly.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I think every morning I wake up and go look in the mirror and think to myself, "I'm handsom and I'm a worthy human being"....or something to that effect.

I think when most women wake up and look in the mirror they think, "I'm ugly and not worthy of my life...oh god is that a wrinkle....think I'm getting a zit there....boobs are sagging.....perk up girls....oh god I'm falling apart....I'm going back to bed".

Does anyone know of many women who can look at themselves and say,"I'm beautiful and I'm all about good things in life!" I wish there was more women had this attitude about themselves.
I'm beautiful, I love myself, I love my body, I'm a Divine Being who is in the form of a Sacred Woman.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
....you seem to be attracted to the wrong guys...LMFAO - the ones standing on the street corners with pants sagging are the ones who think they are too sexy for their clothes and would like to keep it that way in this life.

===============
Who said I was attracted to those scrubbish losers? When they start calling to me I roll my eyes or tell them "HELL NO!"

Those are the only guys who approach me. I don't remember the last time I've been approached by someone with manners, class, who is articulate and who wears pants that fit!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Quote:
Moonsavvy, I have to respond to your question with a question. Do those women truly believe that they have a "good man"? Or, could it be that most of the women who complain are the ones mentioned in the article who "settled" for something less than what they truly wanted?

Even if they know they have a good man, everyone complains. We all want perfection, even if part of us knows that's impossible.
I believe people are perfect in the way God created them.

How do you define perfection?

This is exactly why I'm not a fan of marriage in it's traditional form. Most people want their spouse to make them happy, that's impossible if you ask me. When you decide to join your life with someone in a sacred ceremony (legal or not) you share yourself in a blessed unity with another. You don't take their life from them, nor do you give yours to them. You are still seperate in form but joined in unity.

I cannot give someone my happiness, nor can I take another's happiness. How could I possibly complain about my spouse unless I thought they weren't giving me a part of themselves. Happiness comes from within it does not come from another. If someone is complaining, they are implying that they are not complete with their own self, they seek what is unavailable to them. Rather than respecting and loving their partner, they start to whine and complain about them. They don't feel complete in their own Essence, so they could not possibly honor their partner's completeness. It's egoic love, not real love.

I'd say most of the majority of marriages I've seen are based on egoic love. That may work for some, but that doesn't work for me.

So the question "why are all the good guys taken?" makes no sense to me whatsoever. Taken in egoic love? No thank you, True love is my desire.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Moonsavvy, I have to respond to your question with a question. Do those women truly believe that they have a "good man"? Or, could it be that most of the women who complain are the ones mentioned in the article who "settled" for something less than what they truly wanted?

Even if they know they have a good man, everyone complains. We all want perfection, even if part of us knows that's impossible.
Speaking for everyone here, I'd say that you might think we all want perfection.

However, speaking for myself...I don't.

Which kind of blows the "we" part out of that equation.

So to recap, I guess we all don't want perfection. Just some people.

I couldn't be married to someone who was perfect. My inadequacies would then be all the more glaring....HA HA HA!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
How far are you willing to settle for a peaceful mundane marriage?
I think many people, women especially, have this fantasy that a marriage is supposed to bring excitement to their lives, it should rescue them from their miserable existence or turn them from a boring person to an interesting one.

The truth is that these are things that you should seek for yourself independent of anyone else and just find a partner willing to share this with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships