Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I had a long dream last night about my first love, and now I have been depressed all day. Oh, his smile in the dream was so real, and it brought me back to the distant past, when we first fell in love.

Why am I so down? Is it because the first love hits us the hardest? Why can’t I forget about him after so many years?

We broke up entirely because of my stupidity. It was my fault. Now, I have a loving marriage with two beautiful children, but why do I still wonder what my life would be if we were still together? Why do I feel I am missing something in my life? Is it because I have never had the chance to make amends with him?

I spent the whole morning trying to find any information about him, but I found none. Just typing his name makes me sad and makes me regret.

Sorry for the rant. Just feel sad and can’t sleep. Rationally, I know it is wrong but ...

DO you though? Or is this just the result of your dream?

I would submit that you are missing your youth, in general, and of course your first love was an important part of your youth, and thus the manifestation of you missing your youth. Maybe you DO feel like you're missing something in life...but are you REALLY missing this guy all THAT much? Or again...just missing your youthful past? Your freedom maybe, or being unencumbered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 05:19 PM

431 posts, read 352,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
DO you though? Or is this just the result of your dream?

I would submit that you are missing your youth, in general, and of course your first love was an important part of your youth, and thus the manifestation of you missing your youth. Maybe you DO feel like you're missing something in life...but are you REALLY missing this guy all THAT much? Or again...just missing your youthful past? Your freedom maybe, or being unencumbered.

This was my thinking too. The nostalgia of years gone by and what might have been. As we get older I think we all reminisce about our youth. Nothing wrong with that but you have to look at what you have now and realize that your past is just that, your past.

Your post does make me think of this though, my favorite Trisha Yearwood song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9uFWZqME7A

Old 12-09-2019, 06:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I had a long dream last night about my first love, and now I have been depressed all day. Oh, his smile in the dream was so real, and it brought me back to the distant past, when we first fell in love.

Why am I so down? Is it because the first love hits us the hardest? Why can’t I forget about him after so many years?

We broke up entirely because of my stupidity. It was my fault. Now, I have a loving marriage with two beautiful children, but why do I still wonder what my life would be if we were still together? Why do I feel I am missing something in my life? Is it because I have never had the chance to make amends with him?

I spent the whole morning trying to find any information about him, but I found none. Just typing his name makes me sad and makes me regret.

Sorry for the rant. Just feel sad and can’t sleep. Rationally, I know it is wrong but ...
Are you referencing thinking about him since the dream or has he remained on your mind all these years?

If it's the former I think you miss the spark that comes with love, which naturally dies down after many years of marriage.

If it's the latter - it could be you feel he was the one who got away and you have some guilt and regret about being the catalyst for that. It doesn't mean your marriage is lacking, in my opinion. However, if you had found some presence of him online, then what? Probably best to not do that. You wouldn't want your husband doing that, I assume.

Just curious. Could he have passed away since you said you couldn't locate him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships